• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Thoughts on an All Season Tire

bbrunty15

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Accord, 2023 FL5 Civic Type R R-03525
Hello all!

First post!

I am the owner of a Boost Blue FL5 Type R, this is my first Type R.

I wanted to throw out a topic and see what the community thought about it.

First off, in addition to my FL5 I also own a 2014 Accord, that's my daily driver for the time being. I live in northern Ohio so we see snow and below freezing temps through late December all the way through to the beginning of April sometimes.

I feel like I am in the minority of people who actually like the look of the OEM wheels. Don't get me wrong I love aftermarket wheels and I love the look of a lot of yours. FL5 and FK8s alike. But I am an OEM+ type of guy, typically.

But here's my thought. My FL5 will never see snow, ideally it will never see salt. I am curious to know if it would be possible to buy a second set of wheels for an all-season tire. I don't feel like I need to put snow tires on the car but I would appreciate having a better wearing tire for times when performance is secondary and keep the OEM wheels and PS4Ss for summer and track use when I can lean on them. For example, I would love to take the car on an occasional road trip. My fear is wearing out the PS4Ss in a situation where I am not even leaning on them that much. On top of that, while I did get the wheel and tire protection package, I fear being on a trip and cracking/bending a wheel. I was told it could take 2 weeks to source a new wheel.

Additionally, has anyone had luck putting 18s on the car? My thinking is if I am putting all-seasons on for potential adverse weather (non-snow) and comfort driving maybe an additional gain in sidewall would be beneficial. Again, I will save the performance for the PS4Ss.

I know this might sound a little sacrilegious to put an all season tire on but this comes from a place of wanting to drive it more and preserve the PS4S for what they were made for. Does anyone have any suggestions on a good set of wheels and tires for an 18" set up? Has anyone tried this on any other car? What are some things I might not be thinking of? Any advice and suggestions would be great!

I appreciate the feedback!
Ben
Sponsored

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
the factory PS4S are street tires meant for daily driving. personally i wouldn't waste money and storage space for a second set of wheels for summer driving. tires will dry and rot out over time even if you don't drive them. mileage isn't the only thing that wears out tires.

the only time i wouldn't drive the PS4S is if you're consistently driving them below 30F with accumulated snow. they're fine in the wet etc.

if you think you're going to be driving in sketchy pot hole roads, take the accord.

Icehawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 CTR #3177
I wouldn't worry too much about the current setup if you have the Accord for when temps drop or the roads are nasty, PS4S don't last long IME - on my ND Miata I got ~12k miles so I'm expecting 10-15k on the CTR. If you're going to do more than 1-2 track days though it may make sense to run a 2nd wheelset as track time will chew the tires up pretty quickly.

18"s fit, popular choice - peruse the forum here and you'll see plenty.

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
My thinking is kind of the same as yours @bbrunty15. I also have a secondary vehicle for winter. My FL5 won’t know what road salt is, let alone snow. Though I’m also a big fan of the beautiful stock 19’s, I’ve been considering a set of 18’s and thicker sidewall summer tires (though I might consider all season tires if they look good and are performance oriented) for long road trips. It’d make the long drive more comfortable and there’d be less worry of potholes ruining my day. Ideally, they’d still be great for spirited driving too.:cool:

holland1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
tacoma
I don't know about the wheels he chose in the video, I think there called flow form. Not sure how those compare to a forged set. I'm guessing forged is lighter but not sure on strength.

But he is running 265/40/r18 which should give you a smoother ride and a better chance with a pot hole. Thats the tire I'll likely go with, just not sure of the wheels yet..

Icehawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 CTR #3177
You can Google details but flow form is basically between forged & cast.

Nope keep the PS4S. They should last you 20,000 miles or more, and they are pretty friendly in terms of a Summer tire.
I hope so, but my experience in a lightweight car running plus width tires (225 vs 205) was 12k. I got about 10k on a set of Conti ECS. My tire wear is inline with my MPG, I ain't efficient.

OP
OP
bbrunty15

bbrunty15

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Accord, 2023 FL5 Civic Type R R-03525
First off, thanks for all the feedback! I really appreciate it!

I feel like I should clarify, I want to use the OEM wheels and PS4S for the majority of the time, I love them and I love the PS4S. My thinking is more along the lines of having a All Season/better wearing tire for early spring and late fall when the mornings are cold and maybe a road trip when I want to protect against pot holes. But have the OEM wheels and PS4Ss for the fun of summer. I am not sure I will even do this at all, just a thought I had.

I will definitely check out some of the other posts you guys mentioned above.

Thanks again for the feedback!!

1971Camaro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
subaru crosstrek

rui

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EG6, AP1, FL5
I feel like I should clarify, I want to use the OEM wheels and PS4S for the majority of the time, I love them and I love the PS4S. My thinking is more along the lines of having a All Season/better wearing tire for early spring and late fall when the mornings are cold and maybe a road trip when I want to protect against pot holes. But have the OEM wheels and PS4Ss for the fun of summer. I am not sure I will even do this at all, just a thought I had.
Since you have a winter car it's not really worth it to do that. Swapping wheels all the time isn't fun. Just use the PS4Ss. If you track the car, then get a second set of wheels with Cup 2s. đź‘Ť

1971Camaro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
subaru crosstrek
Since you have a winter car it's not really worth it to do that. Swapping wheels all the time isn't fun. Just use the PS4Ss. If you track the car, then get a second set of wheels with Cup 2s. đź‘Ť
That is the most logical perspective.
Yet, it doesn't take into account the pothole issue. Even in the summer, that has me a bit paranoid. I just recently drove an unexpected obstacle course of potholes on a less-familiar road. thankfully, there wasn't much traffic so i had plenty of space to navigate through them, but they were deep and it has made me keep my focus on a set of tires or tires and wheels.

Tickle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
I share that fear....

I don't want to run into a situation where my wheel is dented and I'm SOL.

I want a set of wheels... Well because I wouldn't mind putting my own spin on the look of this car.

So I'm always on the lookout for a lighter, stronger 18" wheel with 265/35.

I also like that there are more tire choices for that size versus the 19".

captainscott60

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R
First off, thanks for all the feedback! I really appreciate it!

I will definitely check out some of the other posts you guys mentioned above.

Thanks again for the feedback!!
The only all season tires that will fit the OEM wheels are Continental Extreme Contact DSW O6 Plus which are relatively a new model. I have them as well as several other people. They are Fantastic and getting about 28 MPG and the ride is great for me. Saving the oem tires for summer. The Continentals cost me about $1300 installed at the time I bought the car.
regards
Sponsored