• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Stick_shifter96

First Name
Shaurya
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a FL5
Negligible difference plus the FL5 makes more torque everywhere. Certainly not enough of a disadvantage to get pulled by multiple car lengths. I still contend that the blue FK8 TH had is quicker than your average stock FK8 for whatever reason.
Its unexplainable how that happened. But its funny how one video has completely broken the internet 😂
Sponsored

Geezer

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Its unexplainable how that happened. But its funny how one video has completely broken the internet 😂
Agreed I am not far from Ontario afaik the blue FK8 is from Toronto I would be willing to join that car for a dyno day along with a stock FL5 to see the difference imo that car is making an easy 30 wheel more based on how it pulls.

Boostlag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MK7.5 GTI
Agreed I am not far from Ontario afaik the blue FK8 is from Toronto I would be willing to join that car for a dyno day along with a stock FL5 to see the difference imo that car is making an easy 30 wheel more based on how it pulls.
All the fl5 ive seen tested has gotten 104 to 105 traps while fk8 has seen 108 to 110 for the le so yes the fk8 is way faster in the straight. But why... Its significantly faster. Is it the heavy 265 tires?

Geezer

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
All the fl5 ive seen tested has gotten 104 to 105 traps while fk8 has seen 108 to 110 for the le so yes the fk8 is way faster in the straight. But why... Its significantly faster. Is it the heavy 265 tires?
Yes except outside of magazines no FK8 has trapped 108 and no LE has trapped 110 that I have seen. Most are right around 104-105 maybe 106 in good air esp if it's a slightly lighter 2017-19. The only ones that every hit that mph were the press cars. Car and driver even pointed this out when they had one FK8 trap 108 then another trap 104. There is no way my stock 2020 FK8 traps 108 I can tell you that much. Although I have never actually drag raced this car I have plenty of dragy data doing highway pulls. And I barely pull my buddys RSX that traps 104.

FK7_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback sport
Yes except outside of magazines no FK8 has trapped 108 and no LE has trapped 110 that I have seen. Most are right around 104-105 maybe 106 in good air esp if it's a slightly lighter 2017-19. The only ones that every hit that mph were the press cars. Car and driver even pointed this out when they had one FK8 trap 108 then another trap 104. There is no way my stock 2020 FK8 traps 108 I can tell you that much. Although I have never actually drag raced this car I have plenty of dragy data doing highway pulls. And I barely pull my buddys RSX that traps 104.
Maybe the FL5 also traps slower in real life like your saying the FK8 does? Car reviewers like C&D and MT have numbers that no normal person can hit anyways. Easy to compare spreadsheets but ThrottleHouse showed a real life race. Hard to argue it.

Boostlag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MK7.5 GTI
Maybe the FL5 also traps slower in real life like your saying the FK8 does? Car reviewers like C&D and MT have numbers that no normal person can hit anyways. Easy to compare spreadsheets but ThrottleHouse showed a real life race. Hard to argue it.
Trap speed is more dependent on power than how well someone launches. It shows the kinda power the car is putting down.

FLRib

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R FK8
FK2 is faster than FK8 in a straight line

FK8 is faster than FK2 on track

FL5 uses the same gear ratios as the FK2
The FK2 in R plus mode is stiffer than the FK8
Looking at the review videos the stiffess of the FL5 is similar to the FK2 in R plus mode

Last edited:

ssheff55

First Name
Stacey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 WRX
I think Golf R is a better over all livable car. It works better as a DSG than manual imo. Comes with torque vectoring rear diff, parking sensors, heated/ventilated seats, rear climate control and over 10 adjustable settings for damping. I just tend to like the wide body look of the Type R more, enough so that I can over look its straight line speed. Also I just don't like the hybrid squinted look of the mk8 in general.
mk8.5 models are getting a bigger screen and buttons are coming back to the steering wheel so that might be a good option if you can find one.

1668698645620.png
I’ll take those red seats over heated seats any day. Reviews talk about the Type R being a great daily with how solid the interior now is.

FK7_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Trap speed is more dependent on power than how well someone launches. It shows the kinda power the car is putting down.
Yes exactly. That’s why I’m saying that lol. ThrottleHouse did a roll race as well as a dig.

Rhorn

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 , Civic Type R
Elantra N (one of the best cars in its price range if you can stomach the exterior styling)
GR Corolla (great lil hot hatch, small cabin, non premium material)
FL5 CTR (ADM is outrageous, but definitely worth it if you can get it at sticker price)
Golf R (user unfriendly infotainment, but it can still do everything very well)
Golf GTI (same as Golf R, fully loaded spec is great, but then price not too far off from the R, rather spend a few more and get AWD and 315hp)
Subaru WRX (punchy boxer engine, all season beast, stiff ride, slightly below par interior)
Civic Si (underpowered 1.5L engine, not as fast as others but still fun though)
Acura Integra (premium Si, gets expensive and does not offer as much as other competitors)
Subaru BRZ/ Toyota 86 (poor man's 911, super fun RWD car, proves you don't need insane power to enjoy driving, unsuitable year round DD)
Mazda Miata MX-5 (Slightly underpowered than competitors, but still offers an exhilarating driving experience cus you can experience the entire rev and hp range)

Question is, what pros are important to you and what cons are you willing to live with
He said for ~$55k lol. The only car that comes close to costing that much is the Golf R 😅

Geezer

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Yes now find me a non press car with that mph because I looked and couldn't.

CD did a comparison test vs focus RS with a different red CTR I can't link it for some reason but that CTR only trapped 104 here is a quote:

"In a straight line, our comparo car cracked 5.2 seconds to 60 mph and 13.9 seconds through the quarter-mile. We hit 4.9 seconds and 13.5 seconds, respectively, with the first Type R we tested. That car, though, was also almost a full second quicker in both of its top-gear passing tests, suggesting it may have been packing more ponies."

My conspiracy theory if anyone wants to hear it *puts on tin foil hat*:

Certain press cars are massaged to make more power and look better in mags stats wise, something automakers have been doing since the beginning of time. It was posted elsewhere that the TH blue FK8 was an ex press car. I'm thinking that car also has the extra ponies and that is why it walked the FL5 so hard. Car and driver also tested a blue 2020 FK8 that trapped 108 that could very well be the car TH had in the vid.

FK7_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes now find me a non press car with that mph because I looked and couldn't.

CD did a comparison test vs focus RS with a different red CTR I can't link it for some reason but that CTR only trapped 104 here is a quote:

"In a straight line, our comparo car cracked 5.2 seconds to 60 mph and 13.9 seconds through the quarter-mile. We hit 4.9 seconds and 13.5 seconds, respectively, with the first Type R we tested. That car, though, was also almost a full second quicker in both of its top-gear passing tests, suggesting it may have been packing more ponies."

My conspiracy theory if anyone wants to hear it *puts on tin foil hat*:

Certain press cars are massaged to make more power and look better in mags stats wise, something automakers have been doing since the beginning of time. It was posted elsewhere that the TH blue FK8 was an ex press car. I'm thinking that car also has the extra ponies and that is why it walked the FL5 so hard. Car and driver also tested a blue 2020 FK8 that trapped 108 that could very well be the car TH had in the vid.
Yea that’s a stretch. Good thing that tinfoil hat is on or the 5G gay frogs might get you lol.

s2kdriver80

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY21 FK8 Honda Civic Type R, MY03 AP1 Honda S2000
Build Thread
Link
FK2 is faster than FK8 in a straight line

FK8 is faster than FK2 on track

FL5 uses the same gear ratios as the FK2
The FK2 in R plus mode is stiffer than the FK8
Looking at the review videos the stiffess of the FL5 is similar to the FK2 in R plus mode
Every succeeding generation did put on some extra weight too. It could also be that each newer one has slightly more drag/downforce. The FK2 did hit a higher top speed down the last straight at the the Nurburgring ~270+ km/h.

FK2 feels the most hardcore out of the three, but the big zonk of that 9th gen is that non-independent solid rear beam sapping the potential out of an otherwise good handling car.
Sponsored