• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

jayevo23

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW CTR
Every succeeding generation did put on some extra weight too. It could also be that each newer one has slightly more drag/downforce. The FK2 did hit a higher top speed down the last straight at the the Nurburgring ~270+ km/h.

FK2 feels the most hardcore out of the three, but the big zonk of that 9th gen is that non-independent solid rear beam sapping the potential out of an otherwise good handling car.
So which car feels more hardcore the FK8 or the FL5?
Sponsored

s2kdriver80

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY21 FK8 Honda Civic Type R, MY03 AP1 Honda S2000
Build Thread
Link
No idea personally, since I never drove the FL5. The reviews suggest that the FL5 rotates more easily, and that the FL5 dampers in +R mode is more aggressive than a base FK8 dampers in +R, but the FL5 has slightly less steering feedback.

I have the LE ADS in my FK8, so mine is probably similar in feel to the FL5 in full stiff mode. SG mentioned that FL5 +R is a little firmer than FK8 LE, and Thomas at TH stated they are about equal, and since there is a certain range of subjectivity, I'm assuming they are pretty close in roughness.

Last edited:

FLRib

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R FK8
My first CTR was the EP3. IMO, the EP3 feels more hardcore of the all european CTRs . EP3 was lighter and smaller than the next generations. Each following generation added more weight, size, comfort and technology.

Instead of asking which one feels more hardcore or faster, I ask which one is the better car for today's standards.
I liked very much the EP3, but today I can´t enjoy it. So, I hope that FL5 is a better car than the FK8

OP
OP

savagegeese

First Name
Savagegeese
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Type R
No idea personally, since I never drove the FL5. The reviews suggest that the FL5 rotates more easily, and that the FL5 dampers in +R mode is more aggressive than a base FK8 dampers in +R, but the FL5 has slightly less steering feedback.

I have the LE ADS in my FK8, so mine is probably similar in feel to the FL5 in full stiff mode. SG mentioned that FL5 +R is a little firmer than FK8 LE, and Thomas at TH stated they are about equal, and since there is a certain range of subjectivity, I'm assuming they are pretty close in roughness.
I'd say that is fair and since it appears any chassis tuning is related to FL5 itself and not a complete ground up re think it is very possible he just tweaked what they did on LE. I'd like to get the FK8 dampers on a Dyno but that maybe too involved.

Boostlag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MK7.5 GTI
I'd say that is fair and since it appears any chassis tuning is related to FL5 itself and not a complete ground up re think it is very possible he just tweaked what they did on LE. I'd like to get the FK8 dampers on a Dyno but that maybe too involved.
Are you going to keep the stock dampers or upgrade to something like Olins?

s2kdriver80

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Yea, that would be a bit crazy lol. I just wish manufacturers would publish spring and damper rates freely for us car people who are interested. :cool:

michaeljf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY21 Civic Type R LE
The effects of which I expect would be slightly moderated compared to the FK8 LE given the longer wheelbase, wider track, wider tyres and extra weight.

Speaking to the Australia TCR driver who set the local lap records here back to back in a regular Type R and an LE he said the LE definitely moved around a lot more while the normal Type R was planted at the rear. This is on a fairly smooth FIA Grade 2 circuit and the difference was only a second quicker to the LE in a 2 minute lap.

The question is, where do they go for the inevitable swansong FL5 LE?

Boostlag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MK7.5 GTI
from all the reviews I've seen more the FL5 is more stable but FK8 has more rotation. I guess you can fit a bigger rear sway on to the FL5.

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
My 93 Civic feels the most hardcore but that doesn’t mean it’s a better overall car than the FL5 platform.

The FL5 receives all the engineering benefits from the main Civic. Many of those benefits aren’t visible to the average owner. Sometimes that adds additional weight but hurts straight line speed. This is just one small metric. FK8 owners will always need to justify why their car is “better” than the FL5.

There should be more discussion on the chassis updates and less on 0-60.

sackofcheese

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic SI, 1994 Miata (track toy)
Just curious if you have time slips for your autox times compared to your local FK8’s. I find that hard to believe no offence.
Granted this is RAW time, but I typically can run fairly close to the FK8s in my region. Plus with the soft PAX the Si gets it jumps me way up overall.
(For the record, this was one of my worst showings as a driver this year)

11th Gen Honda Civic Thoughts on FL5 vs FK8 (by savagegeese) CKR results PE8.PNG

BoostedDreams

First Name
Heisenburg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R, 2006 Mazda 6

The stigs review indicates the opposite. Said that the car was engineered to understeer and not rotate, unlike the Elantra N.

OP
OP

savagegeese

First Name
Savagegeese
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Type R
The stigs review indicates the opposite. Said that the car was engineered to understeer and not rotate, unlike the Elantra N.
The chief engineer never said that.

FK7_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback sport
Granted this is RAW time, but I typically can run fairly close to the FK8s in my region. Plus with the soft PAX the Si gets it jumps me way up overall.
(For the record, this was one of my worst showings as a driver this year)

CKR results PE8.PNG
Impressive. Jump in an FK8 (or FL5) and I bet you’d throw down way faster times.

BoostedDreams

First Name
Heisenburg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R, 2006 Mazda 6
The chief engineer never said that.
Correct. I didn’t say chief engineer though. The Stig said the “project chief” or “large project leader for this car” likes understeer and it was evident. If that’s considered a chief engineer then I don’t have much to add. Just sharing the video and his feedback.

s2kdriver80

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Weird, not sure what to think. The Straight Pipes and Verstappen claimed this new car had less understeer. Also, in SG's video, they seem to imply the newer model rotates easier (but he can chime in to clarify). And a couple of other videos (forget which ones exactly) which reflect similar sentiments.

Could be the tires (some reviews might be done with Cup 2s vs PS4Ss) and different tire pressures as well that give different impressions.
Sponsored