• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Throttle House Type R comparison video

BABY NSX

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R, 2019 Toyota Sienna, 2006 Toyota Highlander, 1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye
New Type R looks great! Nice video comparing the new and old and to a Golf and a bit to a Focus RS. Interesting that from a roll the FK8 is a little faster.

Sponsored

Turbonium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93' EG B18C
Odd the fl5 kept pulling off the line all the way to the end when racing from a stop. Yet during a roll, it kept lagging behind. Must've pulled timing 🤣 . But hopefully some broken in fl5 will show better comparisons soon.

Integra23

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Integra 6spd A-Spec
Not good with James and the 2nd gear grind issue..

TMM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
Odd the fl5 kept pulling off the line all the way to the end when racing from a stop. Yet during a roll, it kept lagging behind. Must've pulled timing 🤣 . But hopefully some broken in fl5 will show better comparisons soon.
How is that odd? Imagine someone gets the jump on you and they are doing 30kmh when you're doing 10kmh. Logically when they are doing 100kmh you're only doing 80kmh, when they are doing 150kmh you're only doing 130kmh or something like that. Basically if you have two identical cars and one gets a jump on the start, the one that jumped will always be going a little bit faster and therefore be pulling away throughout the entire race.

The fact that the FK8 stopped the FL5 pulling away or even started closing the gap after a bad start just reconfirms the roll result. FK8 is faster everywhere, except for the bad start.

I don't believe in 'breaking in' increasing power. The main purpose of having a break in period is to flush out any metallic debris from machining of the engine parts into the oil filter. Then you change the filter and put in fresh oil so you can rev out the engine without the risk of harming the engine.
Once you've thrashed the car once it's 'broken in' as far as power output, but I'll let people believe what they want to believe.

I do however believe that there are variations in manufacturing that affect engine power. So it is likely that the FK8 tested is a unicorn and the FL5 tested a dog.

Last edited:

87GN

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Accord 2.0T Touring 1987 Buick Grand Nationa
The roll speed and gearing make the difference. The factory tune could be a little different. I'm sure Hondata will compare any computer differences.

Turbonium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93' EG B18C
How is that odd? Imagine someone gets the jump on you and they are doing 30kmh when you're doing 10kmh. Logically when they are doing 100kmh you're only doing 80kmh, when they are doing 150kmh you're only doing 130kmh or something like that. Basically if you have two identical cars and one gets a jump on the start, the one that jumped will always be going a little bit faster and therefore be pulling away throughout the entire race.

The fact that the FK8 stopped the FL5 pulling away or even started closing the gap after a bad start just reconfirms the roll result. FK8 is faster everywhere, except for the bad start.

I don't believe in 'breaking in' increasing power. The main purpose of having a break in period is to flush out any metallic debris from machining of the engine parts into the oil filter. Then you change the filter and put in fresh oil so you can rev out the engine without the risk of harming the engine.
Once you've thrashed the car once it's 'broken in' as far as power output, but I'll let people believe what they want to believe.

I do however believe that there are variations in manufacturing that affect engine power. So it is likely that the FK8 tested is a unicorn and the FL5 tested a dog.
Just bc you don't believe it, doesn't make it less true. Cars have computers and manufacturers can throttle your car during break in periods. Not saying this is the case, but like I said, I want to see more comparison before making a conclusion off 1 review. So yes it is odd.

So you think the roll races were legit, but the race from a stop was a bad start for the fk8? Obviously your bias 😆

TMM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
Just bc you don't believe it, doesn't make it less true. Cars have computers and manufacturers can throttle your car during break in periods.
Not 100% sure on this, but isn't the car tested by Throttle House a press car provided by Honda? You'd think it would be odd that they would give the press cars that weren't delivering peak performance.

So you think the roll races were legit, but the race from a stop was a bad start for the fk8? Obviously your bias 😆
The FL5 has fresh 265 Michelin Pilot Sport 4S on it. The FK8 has ... well we don't even know what the condition of the tyres were because it wasn't a new car. Pessimistically we'll assume it still has the SportContact 6s that were fitted from the factory that have been thrashed by numerous journalists and then driven around for almost two years by the current owner. I still have the factory fitted SC6s on my car and it launches even worse than in the video. The tyres are done. You can fit fresh 265 PS4S to an FK8 if you want and it'll probably launch a whole lot better than it did in the video.
A roll race virtually eliminates tyres from the equation, it's a pure test of power, weight, gearing and aerodynamics and the result speaks for itself.

Last edited:

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack
Thread summary before it unfolds:

1. People point out FK8 is faster in a roll race. Same people call out old tires when setting a lap time.
2. Other people argue straight line speed is meaningless because race car.
3. If someone cares about straight line speed, they’re wrong.
4. If someone cares about lap times, they’re also wrong.
5. Throttle House is being accused of starting a riot on a Civic forum.

Turbonium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93' EG B18C
Not 100% sure on this, but isn't the car tested by Throttle House a press car provided by Honda? You'd think it would be odd that they would give the press cars that weren't delivering peak performance.

The FL5 has fresh 265 Michelin Pilot Sport 4S on it. The FK8 has ... well we don't even know what the condition of the tyres were because it wasn't a new car. Pessimistically we'll assume it still has the SportContact 6s that were fitted from the factory that have been thrashed by numerous journalists and then driven around for almost two years by the current owner. I still have the factory fitted SC6s on my car and it launches even worse than in the video. The tyres are done. You can fit fresh 265 PS4S to an FK8 if you want and it'll probably launch a whole lot better than it did in the video.
A roll race virtually eliminates tyres from the equation, it's a pure test of power, weight, gearing and aerodynamics and the result speaks for itself.
Well since all your statements are assumptions ans options, I'll point out more facts. The fk8 belongs to @2wnty3_type.r and tires were donated by MichelinCanada. Keep making stuff up, it amuses me how much people on the internet think they know.

TMM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
Well since all your statements are assumptions ans options, I'll point out more facts. The fk8 belongs to @2wnty3_type.r and tires were donated by MichelinCanada. Keep making stuff up, it amuses me how much people on the internet think they know.
The video shows the car wearing Continentals, and the voice over says the car "wasn't tampered with" which makes us assume it is as it left the factory.

Since you're obviously more an expert than us on this particular vehicle, please do humor us with why it both launches horrendously and wins in a roll race

Turbonium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93' EG B18C
The video shows the car wearing Continentals, and the voice over says the car "wasn't tampered with" which makes us assume it is as it left the factory.

Since you're obviously more an expert than us on this particular vehicle, please do humor us with why it both launches horrendously and wins in a roll race
Interesting why would MichelinCanada be there specifically to donate tires and be promoted in this video, but not give any tires even for the fk8, they even give a shout out to @im.fk8 for supplying "last minute tires" 🤔.

And I'm not sure why they both launched horrendously, yet fk8 loses from a stop but fl5 wins from a roll and on the TH track. I guess that's why i said, I need more vids of the fk8 vs fl5 to make a determination. Look I don't care if the fl5 is faster or slower, I just want to see if these results can be repeated by other reviewers and owners bc it's odd for it to be fast roll, but slower from a dig and on track. My only assumption would be the fl5 has better launches and handles so much better that it makes up for the slowness and weight.

Last edited: