• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Transmission fluid change

em804

Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Civic EX, 1996 TL
Hey everyone!

This is my first CVT vehicle and looking through the owner's manual and there is nothing about transmission fluid besides not to check or change it yourself. Is this common on CVT transmissions? This can't be right?

Here is a link to the owner's manual page regarding transmission fluid:

Nessism

Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 EX-T Civic
It seems odd that they recommend taking it to a dealer for a fluid check. That said, unless the fluid is leaking on the ground you shouldn't have to check it.

Give the community here a little time and there will be all kinds of guides on how to check and change the fluid yourself. The first fluid change is out pretty far though, something like 30k+ miles. The maintenance minder will let you know when.

jtrader

First Name
James
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 Civic Hatch Sport, 2022 Odyssey EXL
Vehicle Showcase
Changing the fluid is probably easier than an oil change. Although arguably there could be an extra step of measuring exactly what you removed so you can replace with that amount. But then that saves you from having to level and use the check bolt.

I definitely disobeyed the 11th gen manual by using non-Honda fluid. Good thing I have a 10th gen. :D

FWIW, I've used both Valvoline CVT and Eneos (napa) Model H. I swap every 15k. No probs yet.

mondreyt

First Name
Edmond
Reaction score
Car(s)
Civic
I thought the fluid needs to be changed at 24k.

jtrader

First Name
James
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 Civic Hatch Sport, 2022 Odyssey EXL
Vehicle Showcase
I thought the fluid needs to be changed at 24k.
I believe it's every 30k, but I change it every 3 oil changes (3x5k=15k) only because I'm hard on my CVT. (No tune though, so I guess I'm not that hard)