• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

notthatlargo

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R
I don’t remember which it was, but a new generation was actually slower than the previous gen as well. There was a top gear episode where they tested it, can’t remember which one.

I think that there was never a chance of getting anything too new this year, but it is still a great setup. Some more rigidity and refinement will be nice, as well as a seemingly massively improved interior if the base civics are anything to go off. I wouldn’t want the weight from an AWD system, but I think when it becomes electrified it will be a wicked setup.
All good points. Honestly the whole vibe from this generation Civic seems to be a) clean up the design and make it more "mature", as a reaction to the critical feedback from many people to the last generation and move the car upmarket in perception (and to some degree, price, especially here in Canada on the hatchbacks), and b) minimize new development costs by carrying forward as much as possible from a technical and platform perspective. The big investments are now in EVs and hybrids, so the team working on the "sporty" stuff at Honda were probably lucky to get the budget they did to develop this car. This car, along with the 911 GT3, Blackwing, Z, etc... seem to be in this family of "last manual/traditional cars", so it's quite a moment to be a car fan. I just wish they would release details already (I know, I'm preaching to the choir here...)
Sponsored

Turbonium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93' EG B18C
It sounds like you're not very familiar with the history of the model at all. The FK8 was a minor, iterative step up from the FK2 - the only major change was the introduction of an independent rear suspension instead of the FK2's torsion beam. Same dual-axis MacPherson front strut, same K20C1 engine, same 6-speed transmission. It's already been stated that the new Type R will retain the same 2.0T engine/6-speed trans and dual-axis MacPherson front strut for the third time. It's a great setup, but it's the same setup - by the end of this new model year, it'll be a decade old.

Many of us were hoping for some major change to the platform to make an upgrade worthwhile. I was particularly excited by the rumors of a hybrid AWD system for the rear wheels that would still be compatible with the manual trans. The current R can get a bit squirrely when you start adding tons of extra power through the current front drive setup - aside from extra chassis bracing, there's not a whole lot that they can do to improve things without a major paradigm shift.
Fk8 was 7 seconds faster nurburgring compared to fk2 and had independent rear suspension. So how am I wrong again that the newer type r's are always faster and better than the predecessor?

vtec_bhoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
I'm looking forward to the full reveal and ready to place a deposit as soon as I can.

I highly doubt Honda have been sitting about doing nothing for the last few years in terms of performance development of this new model. I'm confident it will be an outstanding car and hopefully see lots of praise from automotive journalists once they're behind the wheel.

Judging by comments on social media, a lot of FK8 owners strike me as a massively insecure bunch who have proceeded to s**t all over the car before production reveal let alone anyone even driving it. Very strange.

FK7_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback sport
Judging by comments on social media, a lot of FK8 owners strike me as a massively insecure bunch who have proceeded to s**t all over the car before production reveal let alone anyone even driving it. Very strange.
You should go on any car forum ever and see what people say every time a new generation of any car is announced. It’s exactly the same that’s going on here lol. It’s not FK8 owners being massively insecure, it’s every human ever that wants to be reassured their purchase was the correct one. I’ve been on multiple forums and every time it’s always the same comments.

vtec_bhoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
You should go on any car forum ever and see what people say every time a new generation of any car is announced. It’s exactly the same that’s going on here lol. It’s not FK8 owners being massively insecure, it’s every human ever that wants to be reassured their purchase was the correct one. I’ve been on multiple forums and every time it’s always the same comments.
Agreed. The current generation Si received fair bit of negativity when first announced (from what I saw) but along came all the road tests and almost everyone gave it a positive review.

As for this prototype Type R, the most common criticism seems to be it looks "tame" and "toned down too much". Can't blame Honda for going down the more conservative route and broadening the appeal of the new model. Let's face it, a lot of people loved the way the FK8 drove but didn't sign up for one purely because of its looks.

itsovr9k

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 S2000, 2022 Golf GTI
I owned a 21 CTR. I bought it despite the looks. Sometimes I would avoid looking at the car before I would go for a drive :). Obviously a personal preference. I found that many younger car enthusiasts and normies liked the design, and positively commented on it often.

I only owned it short term due to a number of factors, including financial opportunity and a strong used car market. Undoubtedly, it was a exceptional driving experience (for a FWD car).

It was never going to be a car I would own long term due to the design. Visually it was the antihesis of what I liked about historical Honda design.

From what I can discern on the new camo'd model, it has a much more appealing design. Integrated rear fenders and a better resolved rear apron gives the car a more premium look. I'll be in the market for one in the few years when others lose interest and the opportunity presents itself to purchase one at MSRP.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack
Looks are so incredibly subjective. The outcry the new G80 M3 received when they unveiled the front grilles was arguably the largest in German car history. But it’s selling. Clearly many people love it. I personally hate it and love it at the same time. If I force myself to stare at it long enough, I hate it less.

I personally like how the current FK8 CTR looks. A Type R must be a little loud and obnoxious IMO. For the record, I’m 41 and love boy racer cars. I will never grow out of them. I couldn’t care less what other people think. Drive what you love because only insecure people wouldn’t.

The upcoming CTR looks phenomenal. I like it slightly more than the FK8. The front fascia and light design has some R33 cues in it. The front bumper is like a cross between e46 M3 and R33. The most badass looking front end on the market IMO.

I am so ready for this car!

11th Gen Honda Civic Video: 2023 Civic Type R's in action @ Honda "Thanks Day" in Japan A23AD61F-8081-440D-A90D-6A17513AC5F6

jtrader

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatch Sport 6MT, 2022 Odyssey EXL
I examined the OP's video. The red and white Sport Tourings on warm tires ran lap times of 1:06 and 1:07 respectively. The Type R's ran 1:05's on warm tires. I guess I was expecting a bigger difference.

11th Gen Honda Civic Video: 2023 Civic Type R's in action @ Honda "Thanks Day" in Japan SportTouringvsCTR11thge

Last edited:

vtec_bhoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
It was never going to be a car I would own long term due to the design. Visually it was the antihesis of what I liked about historical Honda design.
Interesting point regarding traditional Honda design in the context of Type R models. Some of the most well received Type Rs such as EK9, DC2, EP3, DC5, ATR etc. all have one thing in common in that they all have simple clean lines with relatively subtle touches to make them stand out as the flagship variant.

I personally like how the current FK8 CTR looks. A Type R must be a little loud and obnoxious IMO. For the record, I’m 41 and love boy racer cars. I will never grow out of them. I couldn’t care less what other people think. Drive what you love because only insecure people wouldn’t.
I've noticed a lot of FK8 owners fall within the older demographic. A few FK8 owners I've spoke to are in their 50s and couldn't give a s**t what others think, which is how it should be!

The upcoming CTR looks phenomenal. I like it slightly more than the FK8. The front fascia and light design has some R33 cues in it. The front bumper is like a cross between e46 M3 and R33. The most badass looking front end on the market IMO.

I am so ready for this car!
Totally agreed mate. Even with the camo wrap the new CTR looks superb, especially the front end. Also quite like the rear light signature. Overall the car has a saloon vibe to it which I'm cool with. The FD2 is loved by many and my old Accord Type R was an outstanding car.