• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

VTEC in the 1.5t?

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Civic Si
Hey guys, had a few question regarding VTEC on the 11th gen. I've noticed Honda says they added VTEC (on the exhaust side) to the 1.5t. As for my questions,

Did the 10th gen have VTEC on the 1.5t? A couple of overseas markets were promoting "VTEC turbo" but this wasn't the case for the States

Why only the exhaust side?

Any other particular differences over the last model's 1.5t?

Obligatory: Will we get to hear VTEC kick in, yo?

The post kinda meshes with 10th gens in general, but I wanted to get some light on the 11th gen so I thought I might post here. Only so much I could pull from articles and YouTube and whenever they mention VTEC, they just move onto the next topic.
Sponsored

anze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X Hatchback Sport+
I was under the impression that all 1.5 engines from the 10th gen in europe (134kw / 180hp) already had vtec, at least the user manual says so. If that's indeed the case and my model has vtec, you don't feel "the kick" at all. Why only on the exhaust side? Probably because of the turbo there is no need to have it also on the inlet side.

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
VTEC isn't really needed on the inlet side. Variable lift doesn't matter so much when you can just cram boosted air into the engine.

I don't know about other markets but in the USDM, only the Accord 1.5T got VTEC on the exhaust cam. All the 1.5T Civic had no VTEC in any form. The K20C1/K20C4 in the 2.0T Type R/Accord also had exhaust side VTEC.

The new 1.5T will also have dual exhaust ports integrated into the cylinder head rather than one port on the outgoing Civic. That will probably help with efficiency and be good for a little extra power when tuning.
Sponsored