• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Weak hatch struts

davilla413

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Boost Blue CTR 05334, ‘04 S2K, ‘97 Prelude SH
Has anyone noticed their hatch struts being too weak to lift the hatch? Seems to be the worst when it’s cold out. Sometimes I even need to give them a helping hand. Can’t imagine the struts are any different than from non Type Rs. The wing’s weight couldn’t be making a difference right? Or maybe I just got some weak ones?
Sponsored

TW00Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 S2000, 2023 CTR
Yes, I’ve noticed in recent days that the hatch doesn’t lift completely. I’m parked in doors so not sure how much it is temperature related.

RUNN1N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
The hatch on the FL5 is MUCH heaver than the DE5, or the struts are weaker--that's something I noticed Day 1.

Now that it's cold, lifting the hatch takes even more effort, but I have less concern that I'm going to open the hatch and slam the wing into the overhead (open) garage door.

bbrunty15

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Accord, 2023 FL5 Civic Type R R-03525
I have wondered this very thing. I even thought when I bought the car in March that the struts work well and open it easily but I noticed in the last few weeks that it does not open nearly as well as it did new. I wonder if something small like this is something we could bring up to the dealer? I assume so?

OP
OP
davilla413

davilla413

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Glad I'm not the only one. I wonder if there are more powerful struts available - normally these things don't break the bank. Assuming that's true, I'd prob just spend the money then go the dealer warranty hassle route...

Seems to me the poor lift performance is more noticeable now that the days are colder here in DC. Got my car on Cinco de Mayo -so its been warm most of the time I've had it.

Clark_Kent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Civic Type R
It's not a powered liftgate so you won't get that type of performance. I have another vehicle with a similar strut design as the FL5 and the hatch needs a little help going up. I also have wing risers on it, which doesn't help, but in stock form it also did not go up effortlessly.

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
It’s a balance. I’d rather the lift gate lift up slowly / carefully and be easier to reclose (as it is now), versus the lift gate go up too quickly / forcefully and be harder to reclose.

Yes, the cold probably is affecting the air pressure inside the struts, so there’s less pressure available to lift the lift gate. You can try making a warranty claim, but I think this “issue” is entirely normal.

CaryH

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 touring 2.0T, 2005 Toyota 4runner SR5, 2012 c
It's the weather boys...bring it up at the dealership they will do nothing, because the hatch struts are fine boys and girls.

Junsupersti

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
STi
I noticed the struts are better matched to the optional cf wing when I installed it.

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 FL5
I noticed the hatch isn't easy to go up as my FK8 was. Not that big of a deal for me, but I have noticed it.

OP
OP
davilla413

davilla413

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I guess it's just because the FL5 is a little hefty - ain't a small hatch. My life is not irreparably damaged by having to give it a helping hand. I was just curious if this was just me. Guess not.

CTRifecta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
+1 def noticed this as well, think it's just normal

Bazgab

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Honda Civic Type R
I noticed the struts are better matched to the optional cf wing when I installed it.
I am sure this is true. I have the CF wing but haven't installed it since i was toying around with selling it. The stock wing is surprisingly heavy for its size whereas the much larger CF wing is super light.

Junsupersti

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
STi
I have a feeling Honda opted to save money and specified one type of hatch strut for all civic hatchbacks