• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Winter Tire setup

CyberCTR

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RSX Type S, '23 RR Type-R #929
Hi all. I am starting this thread as a resource for all of us FL5'ers who live in a state where a winter tire setup is necessary. I am not too familiar with tires/wheels in general so I am looking for some advice on a practical winter tire set up for the FL5.

I have read that this may be a good fit: 18x9.5 +38 5x120 for wheels. Anyone have some good advice for a non-budget breaking set up that will get the job done for winter service?
Sponsored

notthatlargo

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R
OP
OP
CyberCTR

CyberCTR

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How important is it to have a heavier alloyed wheel?

machimself

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
Thanks for starting this, Iā€™m definitely interested in getting some tire feedback for cold wet Pacific Northwest winters. Donā€™t plan on doing a ton of snow driving but Iā€™d like tires that can handle a bit, but that are particularly good in 30s/40s and wet conditions.

I got the forged wheels with my FL5 so will probably just have one winter and one summer set. So theyā€™ll be 19s and expensive but I want to make sure I get quality without having to spend $1500+

Any recommendations?

Iā€™ve been told about the Continental DWS but not much else beyond those.

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
the most budget setup would be some used honda odyssey wheels. they have the same bolt pattern. you'll probably want something like 18 x 8. the benefit of running oem wheels is you don't need a second set of lug nuts.

as far tires, look at vredestein wintrac pro. they're performance winters, so they're less mushy than typical studless ice category tires.

Vtak Groceries

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R
Due to short notice on my pickup date I had to source a cheap set locally. I ended up getting some knockoff wheels and Khumo wintercraft WP72 tires

18x8 +35 5x120 RAC wheel R01
245/40/18 Khumo Wintercraft WP72

This setup cost me only $2300CDN and since I dont winter the car I didnt feel the need to spend any more money.

The fitment turned out really good with this setup and couldnt be happier!

11th Gen Honda Civic Winter Tire setup 319941447_860105031803437_5078834573679018687_n

clustr1

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 - Boost Blue
Thanks for starting this, Iā€™m definitely interested in getting some tire feedback for cold wet Pacific Northwest winters. Donā€™t plan on doing a ton of snow driving but Iā€™d like tires that can handle a bit, but that are particularly good in 30s/40s and wet conditions.

I got the forged wheels with my FL5 so will probably just have one winter and one summer set. So theyā€™ll be 19s and expensive but I want to make sure I get quality without having to spend $1500+

Any recommendations?

Iā€™ve been told about the Continental DWS but not much else beyond those.

I live in New Jersey and just purchased the Continental DWS. Have an appointment on Monday to install on the stock rims. When the summer comes around I'll likely get some new wheels for the summer tires, still undecided at the moment. I figure I won't be doing much snow driving (will avoid at all costs) but wanted something that I could use for large stretches of the year in cold / rainy conditions.

machimself

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
I live in New Jersey and just purchased the Continental DWS. Have an appointment on Monday to install on the stock rims. When the summer comes around I'll likely get some new wheels for the summer tires, still undecided at the moment. I figure I won't be doing much snow driving (will avoid at all costs) but wanted something that I could use for large stretches of the year in cold / rainy conditions.
Let me know how they go after you get them on for a few weeks!

OP
OP
CyberCTR

CyberCTR

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thinking more about tires and I am leaning toward the Michelin pilot alpin 4 or the x ice. Anyone have experience with either?

OP
OP
CyberCTR

CyberCTR

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I got the Michelin Pilot Alpin 4 at 235/40/r18 on 18 x8 rims. Same rims as
notthatlargo.

Had to drive through the storm this week and it handled it pretty well.
I can only find them in 225/40/r18

Also, what offset would you guys recommend with the 18ā€™s?

Unity Performance

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Humza
Threads
Reaction score
Website
unity-performance.com
Vehicle(s)
Current Fleet: 18 Si, 20 FK8, 23 FL5
Thinking more about tires and I am leaning toward the Michelin pilot alpin 4 or the x ice. Anyone have experience with either?
I have Michelin x-ice on my winter beater Odyssey, they're phenomenal. Grip, road noise, and wear is excellent.

On an on FK8/FL5, it'll be best to have Summers and Winters for best performance in each respective season. All Seasons will just null the experience all year round

Wingman520

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback
I have Michelin x-ice on my winter beater Odyssey, they're phenomenal. Grip, road noise, and wear is excellent.

On an on FK8/FL5, it'll be best to have Summers and Winters for best performance in each respective season. All Seasons will just null the experience all year round
Iā€™ve heard good things about Michelin cross climate 2 tires. All season and good overall ratings from my research. Iā€™m not in the market for tires, but itā€™s on my list since I donā€™t have the storage room for a set of tires per season where I live.

OP
OP
CyberCTR

CyberCTR

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Iā€™ve heard good things about Michelin cross climate 2 tires. All season and good overall ratings from my research. Iā€™m not in the market for tires, but itā€™s on my list since I donā€™t have the storage room for a set of tires per season where I live.
I have those on my forester and they're good tires, but I specifically want winter and summer tires, not all seasons. I think I am go to try and cop some 235 Pilot Alpin 4 or 5's. Still undecided on wheels.
Sponsored