• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

administrator

Administrator
First Name
Admin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Build Thread
Link
2022 Honda Civic Luggage Test | Not-so-compact trunk
The new Civic nearly has the trunk of a midsize sedan

Source: https://www.autoblog.com/2021/07/09/2022-honda-civic-luggage-test/

11th Gen Honda Civic 2022 Civic Luggage Capacity Test Shows Midsize Sedan Capability 2022-Honda-Civic-Luggage-Test

The 2022 Honda Civic sedan's trunk measures 14.8 cubic-feet, which is 0.3 cu-ft smaller than the old Civic's, but still really huge for a car labeled "compact." In fact, its trunk is basically the same size as that of the Mazda6 and within spitting distance of most other midsize sedans. It blows away various compact luxury models, including the Cadillac CT4 and BMW 2 Series Grand Coupe. On paper at least.

Let's take a look at how much there is in terms of actual luggage. I'll also compare it to the Honda Accord as well as the other compact sedan I've luggage tested, the Mazda3.

11th Gen Honda Civic 2022 Civic Luggage Capacity Test Shows Midsize Sedan Capability 2022-Honda-Civic-Sport-trunk

Here it is. Large opening, wide at the rear, generally easy to load.

11th Gen Honda Civic 2022 Civic Luggage Capacity Test Shows Midsize Sedan Capability 2022-Honda-Civic-Luggage-Test-trunk-hinge

The hinges are egg crushers, but this is the extent of their downward motion. Those of many of the midsize sedans I've tested are larger.
Now, on to the bags. As in every luggage test I do, I use two midsize roller suitcases that would need to be checked in at the airport (26 inches long, 16 wide, 11 deep), two roll-aboard suitcases that just barely fit in the overhead (24L x 15W x 10D), and one smaller roll-aboard that fits easily (23L x 15W x 10D). I also include my wife's fancy overnight bag just to spruce things up a bit (21L x 12W x 12D).

11th Gen Honda Civic 2022 Civic Luggage Capacity Test Shows Midsize Sedan Capability 2022-Honda-Civic-Sport-trunk-with-bags

First, you can see above that the four biggest bags can fit standing up width wise. This is something common among midsize sedans, including the segment-leading Honda Accord. Basically, the big difference is the amount of depth behind these bags. Basically, there's enough room left over in the Accord for that small blue bag up there to lay down on its belly. It has to be on its side in the Civic.

11th Gen Honda Civic 2022 Civic Luggage Capacity Test Shows Midsize Sedan Capability 2022-Honda-Civic-Luggage-Test-all-bags

Now, with all the bags inside, including the fancy bag. It's pretty much full, but there's a bit more space left over and it was a bit easier to load than the Mazda3 sedan trunk, which also surprisingly swallowed all the bags. You can see it below left.

11th Gen Honda Civic 2022 Civic Luggage Capacity Test Shows Midsize Sedan Capability Mazda-3-Sedan-Luggage-Test-all-the-bags1
11th Gen Honda Civic 2022 Civic Luggage Capacity Test Shows Midsize Sedan Capability 2021-Honda-Accord-Hybrid-trunk-all-the-bags

On the other hand, the Accord (above right) has an almost comical amount of space left over. There was actually enough for me to stuff in a 38-quart Coleman cooler and a duffle bag.

Basically, that means the Civic has the trunk of a midsize sedan and the Accord has the trunk of a midsize wagon.
Sponsored

NorthernLaw

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type-R Boost Blue
I can already tell the Type-R is going to be another one with the magic hatch that can fit ungodly amounts of items in the back

TypeSiR

First Name
Car Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, CTR, MX-5, Fit
and the CRV has the trunk space of a midsize minivan…
Sponsored