• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

2023 Type-R comes with K20C1 again!!!? Look inside…your thoughts?

TrackS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jordan 1
All this talk about 4 bangers sounding good. Would yall prefer the best sounding 4 popper or the best performing? Imo sound can easily be enhanced vs. Performance. Ex. The N 4 banger is pretty much maxed out from factory. Perfect example is the STI. Sounds ammmmmmazing slow as shit and blows up if u look at it oddly.

Am I not allowed to have a nice sounding 4 with performance? It's not like the designers are like 'ok, now I know you guys wanted performance but instead we made it sound good'... they can do both, it just requires that design intention.

Now back to your STI insult... how dare you mam! 🤣
Sponsored

Last edited:

giger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FD2
I think that "skillet" box in front of the engine is some Honda engineered "cooling air intake" system. Cooler air, tweek the ecu and more power.
A Honda tuning company were out in the US for the unveil and suggested it was an updated heat sink, a redesigned version of what was on the FK8 to better manage temperatures

Whitboy82

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Explorer ST
All this talk about 4 bangers sounding good. Would yall prefer the best sounding 4 popper or the best performing? Imo sound can easily be enhanced vs. Performance. Ex. The N 4 banger is pretty much maxed out from factory. Perfect example is the STI. Sounds ammmmmmazing slow as shit and blows up if u look at it oddly.
Sound is objective, but I can think of quite a few good sounding 4 cylinder engines, especially NA. Having to pick between performance and sound is silly. Of course people want performance, but when it’s obvious that there can be good sound and performance, most people would want both.
I wasn’t aware the N was maxed out, I’ve seen quite a few tuned ones making 40-50hp more with just a tune, just like the FK8, so unless you mean maxed out from making 1,000hp, then not sure what you mean…
Personally my favorite sounding turbo 4, was the 4G63, especially with upgraded turbos!

Gansan

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 NSX, 2024 Civic Type R
I think the "skillet" intake could be:

1. Packaging. It's essentially a flattened part of the intake pipe. It likely provides additional room for the hood vent air guide. (The black plastic scoop on the underside of the hood vent.) You must also maintain a certain amount of clearance between the hood and any hard engine parts for pedestrian impact safety.

2. Someone on vtec.net said it could be a resonator for reducing intake sound. This seems plausible, but doesn't seem shaped correctly for that.

I don't think it's a heat exchanger. As others have said, it's on the cool side of the intake. At that point, it's cold air already. Engine bay temps are much higher, coolant is much hotter. The only place heat will go is INTO the intake air and heat it up.

TimeRacer

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Prelude
A Honda tuning company were out in the US for the unveil and suggested it was an updated heat sink, a redesigned version of what was on the FK8 to better manage temperatures
The FK8 had simply a cast pipe there. There's also no external fins/heat exchangers we can see on it and if it's under the plate doesn't make any sense as no airflow. The filtered air passing through this pipe is already the coldest air under the hood being it's fed by the ram air box and the air passing on top of this pipe will be air that's passed through the radiator & flowing over the turbo/exhaust housing. There's almost no way it could be a heat exchanger. You'd need a hood scoop instead of a hood vent at a minimum.
Sponsored