• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

How safe are the canned tunes for the stock clutch?

anotherneon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT, 2017 honda si
Are the canned tunes safe for the stock clutch? Are there any settings to be made or things to do/not to do to preserve the stock clutch? For example not going WOT in the low RPM. boost per gear etc..
Sponsored

KTuner

First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KTuner.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
The tunes keep torque below maximum for the clutch. Going full boost at low RPM in higher gears, aka lugging the engine, has been known to put extra stress on the clutch. You can limit boost in those gears with the boost by gear settings for extra protection.

unholy79

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type-R, 2012 Kawsaki Vulcan 900 Custom, 2008 Chevy Silverado
The tunes keep torque below maximum for the clutch. Going full boost at low RPM in higher gears, aka lugging the engine, has been known to put extra stress on the clutch. You can limit boost in those gears with the boost by gear settings for extra protection.
Can you recommend what would be a good target for the boost by gear settings? Low gears is fine, but I've found when I'm say merging onto the highway at a higher gear (over 3k RPM) the clutch will slip quite a bit. Was running the starter 19.5/21.5 dual tune. I reverted the car back to factory in the mean time.

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
oem clutch is a hit and miss and also how well you broken in the clutch.

some had no clutch slip for 20,000 miles and some slipped at 1,000 miles

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey EX-L '18 Civic SI Sedan '94 300zx twin turbo 2001 Ford F-150 Sport
I'm right at 10k miles with the vast majority of them on various tunes. I'd started on a 21# base map for maybe 1000 miles... went to a 23# basemap with the basemap modified to have less boost and, therefore less available torque where it leaks under 4000 RPM... later added timing past the torque peak to make a little.more power up top. For the last 2000 or so miles, I've been using the TSP stage 1 which I don't have really any options to modify and have a driving style that doesn't go WOT at low RPMs in the higher gears. You can always vote whether to expose your clutch to high torque at low RPMs from high gearing. I've gotten no clutch slip despite having a tune that could probably slip a weak clutch if my driving style contributed to it.

I'd gone from dipping my toe into the water tune-wise to jumping in with probably the hottest non-custom tune you can get on pump gas. Watch that right foot of yours when you're geared up and running low RPMs because that little turbo can give full boost very early, making huge torque number... despite power numbers at that point being just meh because you don't have the revs to make a lot of power yet, and you ought to be fine.

unholy79

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm not against adjusting my driving style if it'll get me some more miles out of the stock setup. I'm used to WOT when merging, but didn't quite factor in just how quickly the turbo spools up now. I'll putz around with it some more. In the mean time I'm looking at a Spec clutch / install at a local Honda shop... hoping to hold off until Spring for that. Thanks!

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
I'm not against adjusting my driving style if it'll get me some more miles out of the stock setup. I'm used to WOT when merging, but didn't quite factor in just how quickly the turbo spools up now. I'll putz around with it some more. In the mean time I'm looking at a Spec clutch / install at a local Honda shop... hoping to hold off until Spring for that. Thanks!
don't do it at a dealer.. they will charge you double what it should be

unholy79

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
don't do it at a dealer.. they will charge you double what it should be
Nope not a dealer, independent shop in my area that has specialized in Honda for as long as I can remember and gets rave reviews. I'd never go to a dealer for this. :)

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Av
Can you recommend what would be a good target for the boost by gear settings? Low gears is fine, but I've found when I'm say merging onto the highway at a higher gear (over 3k RPM) the clutch will slip quite a bit. Was running the starter 19.5/21.5 dual tune. I reverted the car back to factory in the mean time.
Avoid boost or anything but mild accelleration in 5th and 6th gears. Downshifting will give you a better result all around.

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
The turbo spools based on many factors, a major factor is load. It is easier to build boost driving uphill than downhill. It is also easier to build boost in higher gear ratios. If you want to rip WOT from 2k to redline, do that in gears 1-4. Running 4th to redline will put you above just about any posted speed limit. Use the overdriven gears 5 and 6 for highway cruising. If you need/want to pass someone when you are already doing 75-90 in 6th consider shifting to 5th or 4th.
Sponsored