• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Journey to CTR.

hhkb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Hi :wave:

I recently came into ownership of a new FL5 Civic Type R and figured I owe my friends here a success story.
---

Early years

11th Gen Honda Civic Journey to CTR. IMG_0140.JPG

When I got my license my mother wanted me to be more independent so she bought me an Acura RSX. I loved the car, attending Honda-Tech car meets, high school parking lot meets, Hot Import Nights, etc. This car was also started my interest in autocross. I had some basic mods, then through some contacts I had a turbocharger installed. I was addicted to boost, and boost lag was thrilling even though it could be indicative of a bad tune. Nonetheless, I became hungry for power so I continued to throw thousands of dollars at it.

At this time the Integra Type R was always an elusive dream; I could never own one. It's a dream car. They're expensive. Rare. Just something you'd see in an Option or Super Street magazine.
---

Late twenties

My immaturity led me to falling behind in life -- while my friends were graduating and progressing in their careers, I was a failing nomad, unable to decide on a career path and just jumped between various minimum wage jobs. I was approaching mid to late twenties by this point and I really needed to get my stuff together.

I made a lot of costly mistakes, both financially and with my closest relationships. I was tens of thousands of dollars in debt, and abandoning friends left and right out of selfishness. Curiously enough, I found forgiveness and trust through my workplace. I was accepted for all of my mistakes and given the firm guidance I needed to grow up. Long story short, I got my life together.

I swung to become more conservative with my finances so I sold my RSX and picked up a boring old Civic which I would drive for 10+ years and still own to this day. 110,000 miles and it's still running strong with no issues, just ongoing maintenance.

11th Gen Honda Civic Journey to CTR. 04A480A4-8178-4661-A4EF-741416648C78_1_105_c

---

Thirties

The 10 years of Civic ownership were quiet but full of personal and professional growth. I paid off tens of thousands of dollars of debt, paid off my school loans, started contributing to my retirement funds, got married, and eventually became a software engineer. But this is not the success story we're here for.

2017 is when the Civic Type R (FK8) was introduced to the U.S. market. I was enamored but still working up the career ladder. The dream remained -- I would never own a Type R.

2022 comes around and the FL5 is announced. Wait, I have a stable career and I have some money? Let's go get one! I joined this community early on, seeing the posts of the first batch of FL5s coming into the port of Richmond. I called every dealer on the west coast hoping to snag one or be put on a waitlist.

Once the FL5 began selling, $25,000 dealership markups plagued the community and my hopes were dashed again. I guess I'm driving the 10 year old Civic forever.

Mid Thirties

I ended up getting a ND2 Miata Club. Boy, what a fun car! I took it to the autocross a few times and every lap was full of smiles. The car was perfectly balanced, the shifter feel was precise, and the light weight made the car feel like a true sports car especially in a world of bloated cars. I sold it after three months to fund my next home. I can't for the life of me find any pics of that car in my photo library but it was white -- exciting.

Since a few months had passed since the FL5 launch I figured dealership markups would have subsided. Nope, still unobtainable -- $15-20,000 markups. So I looked at my bucket list of cars and figured I could get to work on that. My local BMW dealership had a 2024 BMW M3 allocation at MSRP so I ended up ordering one.

11th Gen Honda Civic Journey to CTR. IMG_1934

The M3 lasted six months in my garage. Don't get me wrong, it's a feat of engineering -- it's comfortable, luxurious, powerful, playful, has tons of grip, the list goes on. I took it on a 2,000 mile road trip, autocrossed it, tracked it, and performed daily duties with it but I never connected with the car. It just... never excited me.

11th Gen Honda Civic Journey to CTR. m3

End Game

After selling the M3 I checked back on the FL5 market and hit the phones. I called around 50 dealerships across the nation sweeping from West coast to East Coast. The Motoring Obsession (MO) and CivicXI community came through strong and multiple potential-MSRP leads were thrown my way (if you haven't checked out the Motoring Obsession website and Discord community I highly recommend it as everyone is incredibly open, friendly, and willing to help in so many ways!). Some were bait-and-switch, some were sold just hours before my phone call, but just a few more leads later I had finally secured one!

Performance Honda of Ohio were great to work with, especially Jenny.

11th Gen Honda Civic Journey to CTR. 1

11th Gen Honda Civic Journey to CTR. 2

11th Gen Honda Civic Journey to CTR. 3

11th Gen Honda Civic Journey to CTR. 4

---

Final thoughts

So my history of cars includes a turbo'd RSX, a boring Honda Civic, a phenomenal ND2 Miata Club, the perfect G80 M3, and now this FL5.

The FL5 brings everything together in a package that fills my desires in a sports car. It has the turbo noise and lag from a turbo'd RSX, the amenities and low maintenance costs of a boring Civic, the joyous handling and shifter of a Miata, and the wide breadth of capabilities of a M3.

But this isn't the success story we were waiting for.

The real success story: MSRP + no sales tax in Oregon = $46,861.73 out the door.

11th Gen Honda Civic Journey to CTR. image.PNG

---

Thank you to the CivicXI community and Motoring Obsession community for being so helpful and especially for keeping my dream alive. To be honest, though, once I have enough money for a 911 GT3 I'm jumping ship. Until then I will smile through every mile in this Type R.
Sponsored

arsing116

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23’ GRC CE, 23’ Civic Si (Sold), 14’ Evo X GSR
RED……. 🤣. All kidding aside this is a great post. It sounds like you’ve came a long way. Congrats on the FL5 SP!

Stan23

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 FL5, 2002 AP1 S2000
Congrats! I was the one who has a G80 and FL5, but the G80 has seen less driving time with the arrival of the FL5. I almost sold it to pickup a 991.2 S, but decided to get an S2000 instead.

OP
OP
hhkb

hhkb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Congrats! I was the one who has a G80 and FL5, but the G80 has seen less driving time with the arrival of the FL5. I almost sold it to pickup a 991.2 S, but decided to get an S2000 instead.
Just going through all of the bucket list cars eh! Nice!

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Honda Civic Type R
To be honest, though, once I have enough money for a 911 GT3 I'm jumping ship. Until then I will smile through every mile in this Type R.
Aye!!!!! Congratulations, I am right there with you on that, we almost bought a 718 yesterday but the wife put a stop to it :p

Stan23

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 FL5, 2002 AP1 S2000
Just going through all of the bucket list cars eh! Nice!
I've wanted an s2k since they came out, but did the euro route and got an e46 m3 at the time. Unfortunately the prices have shot up on the s2k, but I found a few that hopefully will work out. As little as I drive the g80 now, I still love it and will hold onto it for a while.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack
Congrats on the Type R! Your experience really speaks to me, especially your thoughts on modern BMW M cars. I couldn't connect with my 2021 M2C either - it just felt too detached, which is exactly why I switched to a GR Yaris. It's much more engaging and fun, mainly because it's so much lighter than anything else its size on the market today. I'm planning to add an FL5 Type R to my collection, as I believe these two cars represent the best value for fun modern cars right now - a perfect blend of Toyota's and Honda's finest. I'm pretty sure this duo will be the crowning glory of my garage, leaving me wanting for nothing more. The Type R, with its four doors and larger size, leans more towards a family-oriented car, which is an added bonus.
Sponsored