• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Anyone cross shopping a '22 BRZ/86?

HRC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Step 2 McLaren 570S
I recommend watching some of the better YouTube reviews, like Savage Geese, Smoking Tire, and Topher. They all say it's a blast to drive and has many improvements over the previous Si.

That said, it seems like a pretty easy choice. Do you want a sporty car with four seats and a big trunk, or are you looking for a pure sports car and your don't mind that isn't very practical?

The 86 will be the better pure drivers car but the Si should be a lot of fun with all the practicality of a Civic.
This ^^. This comparison really is apples and oranges if you ask me.

Si is a great daily driver, heck you can carpool to work with other people.

The GR86/BR-Z have been compared to the S2000 (personally speaking I have a high bar for the S2k and think that is an insult). It is a more driver focused car, it is RWD, is 2 doors, has less room all around, lacks a sunroof and has a crappy radio.
Sponsored

arsh88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback EX
nope. The top 3 maybe for me are gti/golf r (i realize that's technically 2), integra (need more specs), corolla hatch GR. but honestly given that they aren't even out, and there's chip shortages, and stupidly high dealer markups, at best that's fall of 2023 anyway.

HondaPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Hatchback Sport
Very simular power between the Si and GR86/BRZ. But things to consider is Honda is way ahead on Technology, Engine optimization, engineering, Resale value and just more practical.
?? wtfudge? Who approved the Gas tank placement?
Boxer engines are known for high failure rates. Subaru infotainment is ?. Subaru cost of ownership is high, insurance is higher on the BRZ/Gr86.
Hondata is the best to provide safe reliable tunes. Honda has Mugen, Hpd, Hfp mods.

11th Gen Honda Civic Anyone cross shopping a '22 BRZ/86? Screenshot_20220109-142341_Chrome

Last edited:
OP
OP

Manual_man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
The safety is starting to sway me towards the Si. Has good tech (esp. front collision mitigation) and is a larger car.

This pic in a BRZ forum scared the heck out of me.

11th Gen Honda Civic Anyone cross shopping a '22 BRZ/86? download

HondaPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I tried a new 2021 WRX premium for 3 months. My cost of ownership vs a 2022 Hatchback Sport touring. Gas and insurance alone was ~$100 a month less on the Honda. Crazy lesson learned. Luckily I only lost $300 on my trade value verses my total investment cost including fees. ?

zeroptzero

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Si, 2022 Subaru WRX
I went from a 2016 Honda Civic into a 2019 WRX Sport, and my insurance costs dropped despite the increased value of a new WRX vs. and older Civic. Insurance companies love Subarus, and Honda Civics were one of the highest stolen vehicles when I made the switch and were being penalized for theft rates. My fuel economy on the WRX has been great, about 6.0-6.4 L/100 km on the highway, it is a bit higher than what my Civic had but still very respectable. Resale value on my Subarus has been fantastic, they hold their value really well, as good or better than Hondas IMO, definitely not any worse. When I bought my WRX the used ones on the lot were only $1k-$2k cheaper than going brand new so it was a no brainer. My Subarus have been 100% reliable , zero defects , zero warranty work on the two that I own. My 2016 Honda Civic was a mess, when I traded it in with the fuel dilution issue was terrible, I could not make it through an oil change interval without draining oil, it was the only car I owned that made oil as you drove it (too bad it was all fuel and condensation water in the oil sump), despite attempts by Honda to fix it the fixes never worked. There was no way I was going to own that vehicle out of warranty. I also owned an HR-V at the same time and it wasn't any more reliable than my Subarus, it had it's own issues not to mention the worse engine I have ever owned in any vehicle (1.8L ) .

Subaru is a great brand and I have zero complaints with any I have owned and the dealership experience is second to none and I'd rate them higher than the Honda dealers I've dealt with. I've owned 20 Hondas in my life and 2 Subarus, and I now own the 2022 Civic Si. There is good and bad among both brands and models, it all comes down to what people want in their new vehicle and manufacturer. I would have bought a BRZ if it was readily available at the time, the Civic Si was readily available so it worked out in the end and I am quite happy. I still love jumping into my WRX and taking it for a blast, and it has a fantastic AWD system for winter use, tried and true design with zero reliability issues on the AWD system. As far as safety systems go, Subaru pioneered a lot of the systems you now see on Hondas, but ironically I do like the Honda systems better.

I have hit two curbs in past years sliding on black ice, one with the 2016 Civic and one with my 2020 Impreza. Exact same hit on both cars at same speeds. The Civic needed a brand new EPS steering rack as it got bent internally costing almost $3k, the Impreza only needed a wheel bearing (and the dealer covered it under warranty), but the cost would have been much less than a steering rack. The Honda parts guys told me that Honda racks are not as strong internally as some other brands and they often bend on minor impacts.

Both great brands, check out any vehicle you like whether a BRZ or WRX or Si or Type R, and make a decision on what you like best and what fits your needs. I am very happy owning a WRX and an Si, I am looking forward to seeing what the STi is like, plus the Type R, though I would not own either car more than likely.

Last edited:

VicVal01

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe
0-60 its pretty close but the 10th gen beats it by a couple 10ths of a second. Around the track the 11th beats the 10th.

My 8th gen was objectively slower in every conceivable way, but I think 99% of the people on here would agree that the 8th gen was a better driving experience than the 10th. That seems to be what the reviewers share about the 11th gen, that its the most fun to drive since the 8th gen.
Motortrends results suggest the 11th gen loses around the track and on the strip. 11th gen just doesnt grip like the 10th did. Thats why its a hard choice. You’re making a sacrifice in performance with the 11th gen. The question is, do you get enough comfortability and tech to make up for it?

HondaPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The Wrx is the most ticketed vehicle on the road. ?? also a WRX doesn't have any safety features. Maybe a cvt does. The WRX requires premium gas and I was getting average of 25.4mpg. Not terrible. Plus the new 2022 WRX gets a 2k price increase. And the WRX premium with like features will be 32k mrsp. Subaru is adding $1500 to $2000 in factory extras. So now your looking at 34k vs a 28k civic si. That's 6k more for an inferior vehicle. ?‍♂ I don't get it.

11th Gen Honda Civic Anyone cross shopping a '22 BRZ/86? Screenshot_20220109-173153_Chrome

Last edited:

HondaPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I went from a 2016 Honda Civic into a 2019 WRX Sport, and my insurance costs dropped despite the increased value of a new WRX vs. and older Civic. Insurance companies love Subarus, and Honda Civics were one of the highest stolen vehicles when I made the switch and were being penalized for theft rates. My fuel economy on the WRX has been great, about 6.0-6.4 L/100 km on the highway, it is a bit higher than what my Civic had but still very respectable. Resale value on my Subarus has been fantastic, they hold their value really well, as good or better than Hondas IMO, definitely not any worse. When I bought my WRX the used ones on the lot were only $1k-$2k cheaper than going brand new so it was a no brainer. My Subarus have been 100% reliable , zero defects , zero warranty work on the two that I own. My 2016 Honda Civic was a mess, when I traded it in with the fuel dilution issue was terrible, I could not make it through an oil change interval without draining oil, it was the only car I owned that made oil as you drove it (too bad it was all fuel and condensation water in the oil sump), despite attempts by Honda to fix it the fixes never worked. There was no way I was going to own that vehicle out of warranty. I also owned an HR-V at the same time and it wasn't any more reliable than my Subarus, it had it's own issues not to mention the worse engine I have ever owned in any vehicle (1.8L ) .

Subaru is a great brand and I have zero complaints with any I have owned and the dealership experience is second to none and I'd rate them higher than the Honda dealers I've dealt with. I've owned 20 Hondas in my life and 2 Subarus, and I now own the 2022 Civic Si. There is good and bad among both brands and models, it all comes down to what people want in their new vehicle and manufacturer. I would have bought a BRZ if it was readily available at the time, the Civic Si was readily available so it worked out in the end and I am quite happy. I still love jumping into my WRX and taking it for a blast, and it has a fantastic AWD system for winter use, tried and true design with zero reliability issues on the AWD system. As far as safety systems go, Subaru pioneered a lot of the systems you now see on Hondas, but ironically I do like the Honda systems better.

I have hit two curbs in past years sliding on black ice, one with the 2016 Civic and one with my 2020 Impreza. Exact same hit on both cars at same speeds. The Civic needed a brand new EPS steering rack as it got bent internally costing almost $3k, the Impreza only needed a wheel bearing (and the dealer covered it under warranty), but the cost would have been much less than a steering rack. The Honda parts guys told me that Honda racks are not as strong internally as some other brands and they often bend on minor impacts.

Both great brands, check out any vehicle you like whether a BRZ or WRX or Si or Type R, and make a decision on what you like best and what fits your needs. I am very happy owning a WRX and an Si, I am looking forward to seeing what the STi is like, plus the Type R, though I would not own either car more than likely.
Maybe you should trade your Si on a Subaru BRZ. You just goto any Subi dealer and they will give you 1-3k over msrp trade value and order the BRZ exactly how you want it. Why may excuses not to own what you really think is better? ?

zeroptzero

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maybe you should trade your Si on a Subaru BRZ. You just goto any Subi dealer and they will give you 1-3k over msrp trade value and order the BRZ exactly how you want it. Why may excuses not to own what you really think is better? ?
That makes no sense to be honest. I really like my cars, and I don't buy cars unless I really like them. The Civic isn't going anywhere for 3-4 years realistically. I tend to get rid of cars every 3-4 years, the only exception was an S2000 that I owned for 9 years. I wouldn't say the BRZ is a better car, it is a great platform though, there are some definite trade-offs between the BRZ and Civic so it all depends on what one wants. I also can't say the Si is better car, they are vastly different to me.

Not everyone has to own all Hondas right ? , people do own various makes of vehicles. Some Honda models are good and some are not so good, some Subaru models are good and some are not so good. I own Subarus and Hondas that I like and which I find reliable, if a vehicle turns out not being reliable it goes out the door real fast at my home.

Last edited:

Benster

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic HB Sport 6MT
The safety is starting to sway me towards the Si. Has good tech (esp. front collision mitigation) and is a larger car.

This pic in a BRZ forum scared the heck out of me.

download.jpeg
What did this car hit or get hit by and at what speed? I'm pretty sure any car would look like this if it hit the same thing. I've seen a car get folded in 2 after a tractor trailer rear ended it but the lady walked out with only bruises. Can't just post pictures to scare people, you need some background story to go with the crash.

Annexed

First Name
Austen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si -> 2022 BRZ
Yes I will getting my BRZ in June. I might try to cancel it and get a 86 in April.

The reason why I'm trading in my 10gen SI is because the car got boring after 3 months. No I didn't want to tune it and risk my clutch going out after a set amount of miles. There's no doubt the SI is a better commuter all around car.
BUT, I want to get a sport car while I'm younger (26) and before cars go electric. Like someone stayed. Suhhh went from a 10gen SI full bolt on and tune and stated:

"Without a doubt for me [BRZ] is 10000% more fun than the Si. It feels just as fast as my Si when I was fbo/tuned although slightly less torque but it's only slightly noticeable. I've had a couple chances to just fully push and rip the car at night and it feels great, handling feels superb although a bit squishy because of body roll but going to order coilovers soon for that." (Suhhh, CivicX).

Last edited:

HondaPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That makes no sense to be honest. I really like my cars, and I don't buy cars unless I really like them.
It makes perfect sense. You will get what you want and the Subaru dealer is giving you several thousand more than you paid on trade. I'm not sure why you are struggling. ? You said Subarus have better resale value and superior to Honda. Go for it. Get what you really want. ?

zeroptzero

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It makes perfect sense. You will get what you want and the Subaru dealer is giving you several thousand more than you paid on trade. I'm not sure why you are struggling. ? You said Subarus have better resale value and superior to Honda. Go for it. Get what you really want. ?

Yeah I am not sure what you read in my posts, but they weren't as you noted above. I pretty much gave the edge to the Civic Si and Honda in a number of areas but you skipped over that. I don't quote statistics but you sure do, so I'm not sure how you changed the entire meaning of my posts lol, you re-wrote history.

I don't know how you know what vehicle I want to own, that is amazing. I have owned a WRX for 3 years and I still love it as much as the day I brought it home as I have zero complaints with it and I actually enjoy driving it. I own a Honda Civic Si for 3 weeks and I love it too. I'm good for a few years now.

Too bad you don't comprehend the meaning of free speech and opinion. I'm sorry you hate Subaru so much and your ownership experience didn't work out the way you wanted. It happens to a lot of people, and it happened to me when Honda sold me a lemon in 2016 ( along with a lot of other people). Being a Honda Pro you should know about the Civic issues and the CR-V issues in past years and the class action law suits that followed etc. It turned out that Honda didn't design a vehicle for cold weather conditions which was very odd ? , that was a biggie. I've owned 20 Hondas in my life and two Subarus, I can comment on vehicles and brands I have owned that's about it.

Last edited:

MrPeeck

First Name
Ulises
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mini Cooper, 2018 Civic Hatchback Sport
I picked one up as my "fun" car while using my Si as my daily. First impressions is that it's much more fun to drive, but doesn't make for a bad daily itself. I haven't had much time behind the wheel just yet, but hopefully that changes over the next few days.
Sponsored

Attachments