• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

administrator

Administrator
First Name
Admin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Build Thread
Link
Via Motortrend

How Honda Improved the Civic Si's Already Good Shifter
The six-speed manual remains the Si's only transmission option, and it's even better now.

11th Gen Honda Civic 2022 Civic Si 6-speed manual transmission got two big upgrades - explained 2022-Honda-Civic-Si-sedan-24

One of the best things about the last Honda Civic Si was its lone transmission option, an excellent six-speed manual. The shifter's tight throws and generally positive sensation made the gearbox a pleasure to manipulate. Now, for 2022, the Honda Civic Si is back as part of the 11th-generation Civic family, as is its six-speed manual, which brings with it two big improvements that make the shifting even better. How? Honda says the shifter boasts more precise control for a better feel, and the automaker added some Type R tech, too.

Shifting Feel Matters

First up on the carryover transmission's list of improvements? The 'box's mounting bracket, which is far more rigid than before. This is said to give the driver more precise feedback when paired with the shifter's 10-percent shorter throws.

Moreover, the shifter's feeling in the driver's hand is improved by the use of a new leather-wrapped, aluminum shift knob similar to the piece in the outgoing Civic Type R. The knob's weighty feel gives the driver a nice, substantial touch point, as well the satisfaction of more positive gear selection as the heavier knob helps the lever "pop" into position.

Go Blip-Shifting

The other key upgrade Honda included in the 2022 Civic Si's transmission is its computerized rev-matching system. It is the very same system that is used in the Civic Type R. Upon detecting a downshift—as in, the driver clutches in and starts moving the shift lever toward a lower gear—the program will send a signal to the throttle to "blip" open, raising engine revs to smooth the gear change. With a response time of 430 milliseconds, this system gives drivers pro-grade rev-matched downshifts without fancy footwork—no need to heel-toe for a perfect downshift. Even the seasoned professional might enjoy the rev-matching system, as it removes one thing to think about when, say, on a track.

On the old Type R, drivers could disable the system for full control, a feature Honda says carries over to the new Civic Si. This way, drivers can still assume full manual control over the interplay between braking, throttle, and clutch inputs if they so choose.

If our experience with the Type R and previous Civic Si is any indication, this improved Civic Si transmission could deliver among the best shifting experiences to date for the non-R Civic enthusiast. It certainly makes us excited for the full Si experience.

11th Gen Honda Civic 2022 Civic Si 6-speed manual transmission got two big upgrades - explained 2022-Honda-Civic-Si-sedan-27
Sponsored

TypeSiR

First Name
Car Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, CTR, MX-5, Fit
It’s a sweet setup similar to the one on the 2020-2021 CTR. Shorter throw + heavier knob combo. This knob is even better because it’s leather-wrapped. Basically, you’re getting Type R techs from the 10th-gen CTR. Really good stuff.

10th-gen Si owners can achieve the same result (minus rev-matching) with the following shifter assembly:

54100-TGH-G01 (~$40 before shipping)

Syntek

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PWP Civic Si Sedan
More importantly, is the clutch able to hold more power? And if so, can it be installed on the 10th gen? This would be a great new clutch kit alternative for 10th gen users.

ValkenDnB

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
More importantly, is the clutch able to hold more power? And if so, can it be installed on the 10th gen? This would be a great new clutch kit alternative for 10th gen users.
I really hope it does this time around. There was a lot of premature clutch failures throughout 2017-2020

conbrio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback 6MT SGP sport touring
When they say "box mounting bracket", are they referring to the shifter base tower that is usually made of plastic anchored to the frame with rubber base bushings? If so, does this just mean they added stiffer or solid shifter base bushings and just made the shifter tower out of metal now?

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
When they say "box mounting bracket", are they referring to the shifter base tower that is usually made of plastic anchored to the frame with rubber base bushings? If so, does this just mean they added stiffer or solid shifter base bushings and just made the shifter tower out of metal now?
I would guess bushings from a cost standpoint

pinhead66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan, 2018 Odyssey EX-L
Switching to a single mass flywheel doesn't make your list? That is a huge improvement and another cue from the 10th gen R.
I feel this is the single best improvement of the new model. I would bet they are using a slightly modified version of the FK8 flywheel given the success of the retro kit. Cant wait to test drive the new model with the auto revmatch too.

Acura_CSX_4eva

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Acura Manual Transmission + Nav + Heated Leather
I read somewhere that having a lighter flywheel for everyday city driving was worse than a heavier one, is that true?

geeeek

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Civic Hatch Sport 6MT
I read somewhere that having a lighter flywheel for everyday city driving was worse than a heavier one, is that true?
Heavier means more inertia so getting the car moving from a stop requires less clutch/throttle and rpm management. I think ~20lb is still considered a "normal" weight flywheel, you wouldn't notice actual drivability trouble until you went down to like ~10lb. I have the ctr flywheel and while the faster rpm drop is much appreciated, it isn't a dramatic difference and I haven't needed to change my driving habits.

Acura_CSX_4eva

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Acura Manual Transmission + Nav + Heated Leather
Heavier means more inertia so getting the car moving from a stop requires less clutch/throttle and rpm management. I think ~20lb is still considered a "normal" weight flywheel, you wouldn't notice actual drivability trouble until you went down to like ~10lb. I have the ctr flywheel and while the faster rpm drop is much appreciated, it isn't a dramatic difference and I haven't needed to change my driving habits.
That's good to know thx! Just curious how many lbs is the ctr flywheel?

Brandon25

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic
We'll have to wait for hem to be out. You'll know not long after....
Sponsored