• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Acuity 10th Gen Civic Stage 1 Shift Kit on the Type R - install tips, reviews, etc.

OP
OP
baldheadracing

baldheadracing

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Isn't that used to restore existing threads instead of cutting new ones?
Yes, but one can get past the existing (good) threads without cutting them with the greater tolerance of a re-threading die. It isn't like the die is made with softer metal so a re-threading die will cut just fine; and minimal strength is needed so the threads do not have to be full depth.
Sponsored

jsyar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R, BMW 328xi, BMW X3
I had a similar experience with the Acuity cable and base bushings in my attempts to solve the 2nd gear grind issue. I first swapped out the shifter for the upgraded Honda shifter, which helped, but the shifting was still rubbery and I continued to have the 2nd gear grind. After driving for a couple of weeks, I tried just the cable bushings, which also improved the shifting, but the 1st to 2nd change was still not as smooth as I'd like and again, I still had the 2nd gear grind. I then removed the CDV, which again made a positive improvement. However, I still experienced the 2nd gear grind several times.

Lastly, I installed the base bushings. Honestly, I was surprised how much the base bushings helped. After all of these improvements, I really like the the shifting and I haven't had a 2nd gear grind since. It's too early to tell if this will finally resolve the grind, but I'm hopeful.

It's unfortunate that Honda didn't spend a little more attention to the shifter in the Type R.

ACUITY

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
I had a similar experience with the Acuity cable and base bushings in my attempts to solve the 2nd gear grind issue. I first swapped out the shifter for the upgraded Honda shifter, which helped, but the shifting was still rubbery and I continued to have the 2nd gear grind. After driving for a couple of weeks, I tried just the cable bushings, which also improved the shifting, but the 1st to 2nd change was still not as smooth as I'd like and again, I still had the 2nd gear grind. I then removed the CDV, which again made a positive improvement. However, I still experienced the 2nd gear grind several times.

Lastly, I installed the base bushings. Honestly, I was surprised how much the base bushings helped. After all of these improvements, I really like the the shifting and I haven't had a 2nd gear grind since. It's too early to tell if this will finally resolve the grind, but I'm hopeful.

It's unfortunate that Honda didn't spend a little more attention to the shifter in the Type R.
When people come to us referencing the standard 10th gen 2nd gear grind, we generally advise trying out the shifter rocker upgrade (often paired with our centering spring upgrade). Of all the parts we make for the OEM shifter, that one part (or our full shifter) is probably the best thing you can do to limit 2nd gear grind. We don't generally push the bushings as a solution to grinding gears during shifts as they're really just meant to reduce compliance. The rocker, however, reduces slop and improves gate locating accuracy by the driver. Also, consider switching to a knob that only lets you hold it one way. The Esco is a cylinder so that it is always held with a pistol grip. This consistent hand position improves muscle memory over the long-term, which aids in consistent shifting. :)

~Russ
Sponsored