• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Any UK people on here?

Don21

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Focus RS/ 07 Subaru wrx
I haven't got mine yet but was offered and I went with it too
I’m a little annoyed (didn’t have time to explain previously). I requested the service pack when buying, the dealer said it wasn’t available for CTR currently and I should check back later (he said I should’ve be able to attach the service plan within 8 months from new car purchase) - he also didn’t have car mats or boot tray despite me ordering a month earlier (thank you Holdcroft Honda for helping me out!)

I reached out last week to enquire about adding the service pack and he told me the only option is to add the second hand 5 year plan (£895). I also called Honda UK who said the service plan has always applied to CTRs, and now I’m not eligible as it needs to be added within 30 days purchase.

Either way, I’m getting the runaround and now find myself 200£ out of pocket.

As a lesson to those interested, make sure you get the plan included when you go to purchase.
Sponsored

OP
OP
SnoopstaR

SnoopstaR

First Name
Snoop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type R
I’m a little annoyed (didn’t have time to explain previously). I requested the service pack when buying, the dealer said it wasn’t available for CTR currently and I should check back later (he said I should’ve be able to attach the service plan within 8 months from new car purchase) - he also didn’t have car mats or boot tray despite me ordering a month earlier (thank you Holdcroft Honda for helping me out!)

I reached out last week to enquire about adding the service pack and he told me the only option is to add the second hand 5 year plan (£895). I also called Honda UK who said the service plan has always applied to CTRs, and now I’m not eligible as it needs to be added within 30 days purchase.

Either way, I’m getting the runaround and now find myself 200£ out of pocket.

As a lesson to those interested, make sure you get the plan included when you go to purchase.
I would also email Honda UK mentioning all the above. If it should have been offered seems like a dealer mistake and they should pay the additional £200

Don21

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Focus RS/ 07 Subaru wrx
I would also email Honda UK mentioning all the above. If it should have been offered seems like a dealer mistake and they should pay the additional £200
I’ve put in a note to the dealer to see if they are willing to help sort it out…will keep you posted.

Ulti-Resis

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type-R GT
My FK8 is going after 4 years. Part exchanged for £30k and will be taking delivery of a new AMG A45S+ plus within a month. Honda can shove the FL5 and all it's quality problems up their arse. They have the worst dealerships I've ever known and I can't believe they are increasing the price even further.

Zero7

First Name
Avtar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
My FK8 is going after 4 years. Part exchanged for £30k and will be taking delivery of a new AMG A45S+ plus within a month. Honda can shove the FL5 and all it's quality problems up their arse. They have the worst dealerships I've ever known and I can't believe they are increasing the price even further.
Fair play to you, any discount to be had? I was considering one but opted for an M240i X Drive but after a test drive I cancelled my order felt far far too heavy. Much like driving a sofa

Ulti-Resis

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type-R GT
Yeah, unfortunately the BMW's just have no feel or feedback. The AMG can feel 'artificial' if that's the right term but get the settings right and drive it right and it is outstanding!

Discounts are hard to come by as they've literally just started taking orders in the UK. Possible maybe if you bought through carwow etc. or can talk your dealer round, can't hurt to ask and every dealer is different. I only have one dealer where I am so there's no option to play them against eachother, unless I go further afield and willing to have the car transported and delivered to me at a huge cost.

The way they've done things now is in some ways refreshing as there are only two options on the car. Your choice of the interior with only three to choose and there's no cost difference. Then you choose paint colour which vary in cost. That's it, the price is a set price otherwise. The older models had a lot more options to choose from.

I was looking to get the Street Style Edition but there's no info on them, or even if they are going to be available in the UK. I didn't want the AMG stickers all along the side and didn't so much like the wheels but quite like the exterior pinstriping and the interior.

Initially I was going to go for patagonia red metallic. Instead I'm going for the same Magno grey satin/matte paint and having it detailed with the exterior pinstriping in red to match the brake calipers. It will look just like the Street Style without the gaudy AMG stickers and better looking wheels. Interior I've gone with black leather throughout, which has white stitching. I like the red/black leather interior but didn't like how much red is on the door panels and thought it was too much red. Would have looked better if the arm rest part of the door was red but the face of the main panel black. Didn't even consider the black/grey/yellow interior as I don't like it at all.

I considered just about every car in and around this high performace class. Porsche GTS4.0, Audi Sportback RS3, AMG A45S, FL5, Lotus Emira, BMW etc. I couldn't even order an Audi if I wanted one, they say the RS3 may never be made available again. Lotus has been pushed into next year and beyond, didn't like the BMW's. Could have had an FL5 if I wanted one but didn't. Porsche was tempting but my nearest dealer is a good 2 hours away so service, repair etc would be a pain and the practicality of only two seats and very small luggage and boot spaces, then the £91,000+ to consider. I would have really liked to have the GT3 RS but couldn't go to £135,000+. The AMG made the most sense in terms of availability, cost and practicality.

Last edited:

chrisr111

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hondas and other stuff
Great cars, I had an A45S plus plus for two years.

Will feel much more premium and the tech is also much better, but they do not drive anything like a Type R.

Yes, much faster in a straight line, but no where near as good in the twisties...

I've had quite a few AMGs and Hondas, and have had nothing but good experiences in both dealerships. If anything, Honda have the edge in my experience.

Chris.

JAMSXR

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C63
Will feel much more premium and the tech is also much better, but they do not drive anything like a Type R.
Recently sold my 2018 C63 to get in an FL5, I’ve got to say the Honda is significantly better in terms of build quality. The Mercedes was rubbish, poorly put together, leather stitching was awful, lots of creaks and rattles, peeling interior trim, faded exterior trim etc.. The service costs are ridiculous, one service for the cost of a 5 year pack with the Honda - I fully appreciate the Mercedes is a different category, but the Civic feels like an upgrade.

The C63 driving dynamics were okay, but it can’t touch the Civic. Where it did excel was the M177 V8, it’s an absolutely stunning motor!

Personally I think Mercedes have lost their way in terms of drivers cars, they seem more focused on top trump stats and shiny interiors.

Controversially, I think the FL5 represents reasonable value in today’s overpriced market. Nothing comes close in terms of driving dynamics and the ability to handle the nursery run.

Last edited:

Ulti-Resis

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type-R GT
Thanks for both your insights, I appreciate the information and experiences! It helps to know what to look out for at least.

I agree the service cost is a bit crazy on the AMG and that it is going to be a different drive to the FK8 and I'm happy with that. It's not like either of these cars can be pushed to the limits on UK roads anyway, certainly not in Cornwall where I live.

My experience with the Honda hasn't been great with all the rattles and vibrations on the FK8 and the FL5 has the same issues, plus the seat creaking. I also had air con issues that had to be fixed, fuel pump, peeling Honda badges on the wheels, rusting wheel bolts, a clicking/clunking in the backrest of the drivers seat along with the left shoulder area slipping/clunking where the plastic back of the seat seemed to not be fitted correctly. The seat issues were dismissed by the dealer and Honda and were never fixed. Also, a really bad vibration in the dashboard at a few different points in the rev range that happened to be the main rev ranges you would drive at in most normal road situations. It was really distracting to the enjoyment of driving the car. To add to that, I have water in the drivers side, side marker light and condensation in the rear lights. Lots of condensation on the inside of the rear windscreen. A shame really as I love how the FK8 looks and drives but it has been a let down due to all these issues, the poor response and attitude of both Honda and the dealership, a dismissive, put up and shut up attitude. Once my extended warranty ends then I'd be on my own and have to deal with everything that is wrong or goes wrong.

I'm hopeful the Mercedes dealership will be much better and that the car won't have issues or will be dealt with and nothing major. I've read about a few people in earlier A45s who had vibration and rattles and a few with gearbox issues, but many more that didn't and also that the newer facelift model was drastically improved and most of the problems ironed out. I'm expecting it to be a more premium car for the money.

Had the FL5 been priced inline with MSRP comparable to the US and Japan and they had ironed out the issues, had better dealers and Honda themselves weren't terrible then I may well have been waiting for delivery of one. The car is IMO too expensive and in the UK we are being ripped right off on the price of it. It is far less costs for Honda to ship cars from Japan to the UK than to the US and the pound is stronger than both the dollar and Yen. The prices here just don't line up at all.

I guess, in the end, we all have varied opinions and experiences that are going to affect and guide our decisions. Not all the cars are going to have all the issues, perhaps we were unlucky and got the short straw with the cars we've had these negative experiences with. The same goes for dealerships, they are all franchised and different levels of service, attitudes etc are going to be inevitable. I'm probably wrong to tar them all with the same brush.

Fingers crossed my AMG will be a happy experience and i'll get a good one with no issues and they will be a really great dealership. Hopefully you all have the same with your new or next car, whatever you decide to go for!

Reactions: MrB

JAMSXR

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C63
RE the US Civic price, with markups it’s a similar price to Europe. EU legislation and U.K. inflation have not been kind to prices - the European EV quota to avoid huge fines has essentially doubled this year, and Honda don’t have a very broad EV range. European cars are equally as expensive in the US.

Putting that to one side, I think it’s easily on par with any of the super hatches, so the fact it’s a good chunk less is a bonus. It’s just a shame we won’t be getting many. If only Porsche made a 4 door hot hatch 😁

Last edited:

Ulti-Resis

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type-R GT
US dealer markups should not affect UK MSRP. The markups are dealers not Honda. If you take the Japan or US MSRP and calculate from that compared to UK MSRP we are paying way more!

ScumbagRob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R
US dealer markups should not affect UK MSRP. The markups are dealers not Honda. If you take the Japan or US MSRP and calculate from that compared to UK MSRP we are paying way more!
You're not paying way more than actual Americans though, because it's virtually impossible to get one at MSRP over here in the US, so it's kind of a meaningless number.

Ulti-Resis

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type-R GT
Like I said already, US dealer markups should not affect UK MSRP. The markups are dealers, not Honda. If you take the Japan or US MSRP and calculate from that compared to UK MSRP we are paying way more! The markup is the meaningless number, that's simply dealers speculating and what people in the US are willing to pay, not what Honda are charging.

ScumbagRob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R
You are not actually paying more though, because virtually nobody in the US is paying MSRP.
Sponsored