• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Canadian dealer asked what colour Type R I want

onepointsix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 TW FG2
I'll still go with the FL5, but I don't doubt seeing the drag race will sway some people to the FK8.
Sponsored

RoidRage

First Name
NA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Race Car
I mean the biggest issue here to me is the grind in the FL5. I realllllly thought they would have fixed that.

Welp I guess it is what it is.

onepointsix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 TW FG2
I mean the biggest issue here to me is the grind in the FL5. I realllllly thought they would have fixed that.

Welp I guess it is what it is.
Which video was the gear grinding mentioned? I don't recall seeing it the TH review.

I mean, it's not a surprise to me. My FG2 (2009) has it and it was widespread enough that dealerships were offering free "fixes" for it, but all is did minimize it. Feels like its been like that for all sport/performance oriented 6 speed transmissions.

Stick_shifter96

First Name
Shaurya
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a FL5
Which video was the gear grinding mentioned? I don't recall seeing it the TH review.

I mean, it's not a surprise to me. My FG2 (2009) has it and it was widespread enough that dealerships were offering free "fixes" for it, but all is did minimize it. Feels like its been like that for all sport/performance oriented 6 speed transmissions.
James says that at 11:17 in the review video - "I grinded second gear".

RoidRage

First Name
NA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Race Car

I've never driven a manual that had native grinding issues TBH. Atleast, not without user error. STI, EVO, every GTI/Golf R, Audi s4/s5/rs5, porches etc etc.

I'm assuming it's a Honda thing?

ScumbagRob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R
I've never driven a manual that had native grinding issues TBH. Atleast, not without user error. STI, EVO, every GTI/Golf R, Audi s4/s5/rs5, porches etc etc.

Maybe, it was notoriously bad in the S2000 too

onepointsix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 TW FG2

Yep. At least with honda's post 2000's. I remember my very first car, mid 90's hatch didn't have any issues with the first engine and after a swap.

TheCanadian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Honda gearboxes don’t like being slammed into gear apparently. I’ve grinded my FK8 twice in 28,000 km. Both times I was tired. 4th lockout has happened many times, but that’s the shift gates in the FK2/FK8. It wears down and goes away over time

If you get grinds normally -> go to the dealer. The 4th lockout should’ve been fixed with the new shift fork in the FL5.