• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Cobb Tuning getting in the Type R Game

spectre186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Camry, 23 Civic Type R
I loved using Cobb for my WRX and STi.

They have the Cobb tuner out now for the FK8 and they definitely teased the FL5 at the end of this video.

They show that you can jail brake the FK8 yourself which would be a huge selling point for us on the FL5.

Sponsored

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R, 2006 s2000, 2022 Ram TRX, 2005 srt-4
Build Thread
Link
I loved using Cobb for my WRX and STi.

They have the Cobb tuner out now for the FK8 and they definitely teased the FL5 at the end of this video.

They show that you can jail brake the FK8 yourself which would be a huge selling point for us on the FL5.

I would be very cautious with this. From a tuner perspective. I worked with Cobb since 2010, was a happy customer and tuned a lot of subaru’s with their accesport and software. They got bought out and the company switched a lot of their policies. They are terrible to work with, they bleed their pro tuners dry and just care about the bottom line. The amount of customers they screwed over with their green initiative is astounding.

Hondata all the way my advice even with the extra cost and burden of the unlock. They even used to charge $150 for the end user software with absolutely no support and now if you want to custom tune it you have to go through one of their listed pro tuners. You can no longer adjust parameters yourself or someone of your liking if they are not affiliated with them. I stopped offering support for it when my customers got screwed over and swore to never buy one of their products again even though they were good back then.

OP
OP
spectre186

spectre186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Camry, 23 Civic Type R
Dang! Times have really changed since my 07 STi! Bummer that they’ve gone downhill.

Clark_Kent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Civic Type R
Trey Cobb gave up majority stake in COBB Tuning to private equity over a decade ago. They built up the business and the exit was with Auto Meter as a fast follow. I'm very familiar with COBB from when they were located in Utah and subsequently relocated to Texas. Knew a couple of engineers who worked there years ago.

They are in fact coming to market with a solution for the FL5. People should formulate their own opinion. Let the market decide their place in the tuning scene for this car. If their solution is legitimate, it will bear out.

FWIW, I have the AP on my GT4 and my experience is no different than it was pre-seperation/acquisition with the 4B11T and EJ257. Like everything else, YMMV.

Ultimateone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 CW CTR
Trey Cobb gave up majority stake in COBB Tuning to private equity over a decade ago. They built up the business and the exit was with Auto Meter as a fast follow. I'm very familiar with COBB from when they were located in Utah and subsequently relocated to Texas. Knew a couple of engineers who worked there years ago.

They are in fact coming to market with a solution for the FL5. People should formulate their own opinion. Let the market decide their place in the tuning scene for this car. If their solution is legitimate, it will bear out.

FWIW, I have the AP on my GT4 and my experience is no different than it was pre-seperation/acquisition with the 4B11T and EJ257. Like everything else, YMMV.
Ive had an AP for all sorts of cars from BMW, Porsche and Ford and my tuner always recommends them so I hope this is a great thing for the CTR community. Hell I even did photography for them years ago and they were awesome to work with.

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 FL5
Cobb lol, surprised they're still around. I had a 2021 STi and got Cobb...that's when I realized it was a dead company. Tunability isn't great imo. I mean, if you just plan to do EPA friendly mods...then go for it.

Last edited:

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Minus my reply up top there, Cobb will have some pros to it over Hondata.

• Graphical user interface which allows you to see everything without needing a laptop or tablet. Can clear codes, monitor gauges, etc without having another screen in the car. The GUI makes it user friendly
  • Can easily swap tunes- Hondata only holds two tunes on the flash pro itself, Cobb AP can hold more.
  • The Cobb software is available for Mac and PC, Hondata only PC (can be used on Mac with work arounds but it’s a pain)
Just to add some info here, the Hondata app on the phone allows you to monitor parameters and clear dtc’s too with a larger display than the AP.

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 FL5
Just to add some info here, the Hondata app on the phone allows you to monitor parameters and clear dtc’s too with a larger display than the AP.
and run 5 Map slots you can change via Resume button lol. I can't see any pros with Cobb at all...not trying to be difficult, but eh

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
and run 5 Map slots you can change via Resume button lol. I can't see any pros with Cobb at all...not trying to be difficult, but eh
They are late to the market that is for sure and not ideal.

roadsniper1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 CTR, 16 GT4, 18 911T, 05 S2K, 23 Tundra
Have a Cobb tune on my 911T and previously on a 718 Boxster S. Turned both cars into beasts I would not hesitate getting one for my FL5.

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Have a Cobb tune on my 911T and previously on a 718 Boxster S. Turned both cars into beasts I would not hesitate getting one for my FL5.
But Hondata does the same thing with less restrictions for the FL5.

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
So what, is there a problem going with something that people have used for years and what is familiar to them?
Not really, just getting a more limited product so to me it makes no sense. But to each their own.