• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Don't shift into 1st Gear or else ...

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
@1971Camaro Yeah, it depends on the situation, the car (as you said), and the experience level of the driver. 1st or 2nd can be used somewhat interchangeably. One doesn’t always have to use 1st gear. That’s the thing that some novice drivers don’t understand and points to the root issue of the original post. It takes experience and practice to get a feel for what gear to be in at low speeds to keep the car moving smoothly and safely.
Sponsored

Integra23

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Integra 6spd A-Spec
I just stay in 1st so I don't need to worry about it.

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
I just stay in 1st so I don't need to worry about it.
Well the problem is some are still learning how to regulate the clutch and throttle in various low speed situations. Sometimes it makes sense to use 1st. Sometimes it make sense to use 2nd. But back to the OP’s original post, apparently there are a lot of people on Reddit providing misinformation on how/when to use 1st gear and saying not to downshift into 1st ever…or risk detonating the car. LOL!

TypeRGirl

First Name
Leslie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5, na 88 RX7
Smh auto rev match has ppl shifting lazy out there. How else will you learn your vehicle if you don’t turn off all the auto nannies and actually drive your car. Learn to feel & hear the rpms till it becomes second nature and you’re not second guessing yourself at light intersections.

What’s wrong with downshifting into 1st as long as you rev match correctly? First tops out at what 32-33mph so adjust accordingly and it will be smooth.

Now I’m not saying rev match to red line lol but you never know when you’ll need to pull off in a hurry and 2nd’s just too boggy for the situation.

nawfoo

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Integra Si
I only downshift into first under 5 mph. The car lets you know when to clutch or shift.
Sponsored