• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

First Si maintenance - ripoff?

explodingGTI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTI
I took my 22 Si for the first maintenance to a local Honda dealer, car is at 12k KM - the minder said A1, which is oil change + tire rotation. I rejected the tire rotation, since I perform this myself. Service centre said that they have to do a yearly brake lubing/cleaning/inspection, which is item #9. Was told that they do this on all cars. I was caught off guard and didn’t question it further. Bill came out to $300 Canadian, $100 for the oil, $200 for the brake clean/lube. Was the brake work actually necessary, or did I get ripped off? $300 service on a brand new car does not feel right.
Sponsored

zeroptzero

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Si, 2022 Subaru WRX
It is good practice to take the brakes apart and lube the slide pins once per year, that is good preventative maintenance to reduce calipers from sticking. I think it is a bit early for your car as I doubt it is 12 months old already ? I would do the work myself as I have in the past. It is a good idea for the dealer to offer it, maybe a bit early for your car , not sure how long you've had the car though. I can't comment on the price of the work, it might be in the ballpark but I don't usually get that work done by the dealer. My Subaru dealer did it on my WRX once and my brakes came back all spongy on me, so I prefer to do the work myself.

OP
OP

explodingGTI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTI
It is good practice to take the brakes apart and lube the slide pins once per year, that is good preventative maintenance to reduce calipers from sticking. I think it is a bit early for your car as I doubt it is 12 months old already ? I would do the work myself as I have in the past. It is a good idea for the dealer to offer it, maybe a bit early for your car , not sure how long you've had the car though. I can't comment on the price of the work, it might be in the ballpark but I don't usually get that work done by the dealer. My Subaru dealer did it on my WRX once and my brakes came back all spongy on me, so I prefer to do the work myself.
Ah, good to know - the car is almost 9 months old, I got it at launch, so it’s only slightly too early.

When I had my GTI, the dealer never offered/did this kind of service, so I always assumed brakes do not need service, you just swap pads/rotors once they wear out and rust

zeroptzero

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Si, 2022 Subaru WRX
Ah, good to know - the car is almost 9 months old, I got it at launch, so it’s only slightly too early.

When I had my GTI, the dealer never offered/did this kind of service, so I always assumed brakes do not need service, you just swap pads/rotors once they wear out and rust
Well try to learn it yourself , it is pretty easy to do. The brake calipers slide back and forth on slider pins, just try to keep them lubricated so they don't bind up. You could easily go every 2 years if needed too.

OGGsr

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PWP 2022 Civic Si
I took my 22 Si for the first maintenance to a local Honda dealer, car is at 12k KM - the minder said A1, which is oil change + tire rotation. I rejected the tire rotation, since I perform this myself. Service centre said that they have to do a yearly brake lubing/cleaning/inspection, which is item #9. Was told that they do this on all cars. I was caught off guard and didn’t question it further. Bill came out to $300 Canadian, $100 for the oil, $200 for the brake clean/lube. Was the brake work actually necessary, or did I get ripped off? $300 service on a brand new car does not feel right.
The only time I ever lubricate the sliding pins on a brake caliper is when I do the pads. If you don't track your car regularly or drive your car off road (not likely), I can't imagine the boots which cover the pins would be compromised. A simple visual brake inspection would reveal if the boots were damaged. I would be very surprised if a tech did anymore than a visual inspection on car with 12k kms on it.

-Jamie

SwiftTone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Si
I just did my first service and tire rotation at 6k miles here in Massachusetts. Original price would have been $120, but the service writer found some sort of coupon that brought it down to $46 USD.

My last oil service on my 2018 Accord was $70 so naturally I was psyched
Sponsored