• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Honda’s Position Statement on Additives, Fluids, and Flushes

Tickle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
@Tickle I don’t think additives are “bad.” Honda just doesn’t condone the practice of upselling stuff like that as they don’t believe it is necessary.

I’m certain there are great additives out there. Some are very clear cut about what they do and how they work when used in specific scenarios. Other additives are not so straight-forward. Most fuel system cleaners, for instance ; How do you know your car needs this? How do you prove efficacy of the product after you’ve dumped it in the gas tank? In most cases you can’t and that’s where the additive makers make their money. That’s not to say these are “bad” products, but it relies heavily on historical evidence of efficacy (which may not apply to today’s engines) or it relies on “scare” tactics : If you don’t use Super Engine Cleaner 5000 at every fill-up, your engine won’t work as well as it should and may break down and leave you stranded.
Agreed... I do not think additives are bad either. Properly used anyway.

I mean most of what Honda put in that release you attached is common sense for most of us I would assume. Flushes and all... again, if a place is suggesting things like that as routine maintenance it would be wrong. The rest, they leave in your court. So for example, oil does not require additives according to the release. They also mention using Genuine Honda parts and fluids in that release. They are selling their product... No different than anyone else. No need to wonder what brand oil is in your service pass oil change...

As far as the fuel additive analogy...

Honda recommends "Top Tier" fuel. Which is basically higher amount of additives in fuel than what the EPA suggests. How do you KNOW its benefiting you? You don't... however they have a badge from CQA so you can rest easy knowing they approve.

I think my point is... it is funny who we perceive as bad or not worthy of our trust. My car asked for the first oil change at 11,400 miles. No tire rotation...

Who do you trust?

Is it the dealer for trying to upsell you for more commission? Is it the additive company that uses dealers to sell more product and uses incentives to encourage the advisors? Is it the manufacturer who tells you who is best? They don't all paddle in the same direction but they all have the same destination. That money...

Sorry for my rant.
Sponsored

CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R, LS Swapped FC3S
I honestly don’t trust the monitor lol. Mine is at around 30% and I’m at 9,300 miles with a track day, auto X event, lots of dyno pulls and lots of long distance travel with also quite a bit of logging and doing pulls testing different things. I’m already at 3 oil changes and the service light still has not come on. 😂
I doubt the maintenance minder is smart enough to take into account one-off track events. I believe it's just taking temperature, run time, and mileage to determine when you should change your oil. Probably better to trust it rather than some arbitrary mileage number.

Someone who beats on their car when the oil is cold but changes it every 3000 miles is probably a lot worse than someone who follows the maintenance minder.

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R, 2006 s2000, 2022 Ram TRX, 2005 srt-4
Build Thread
Link
I doubt the maintenance minder is smart enough to take into account one-off track events. I believe it's just taking temperature, run time, and mileage to determine when you should change your oil. Probably better to trust it rather than some arbitrary mileage number.

Someone who beats on their car when the oil is cold but changes it every 3000 miles is probably a lot worse than someone who follows the maintenance minder.
For sure you have to use common sense. I always warm up my car and properly check all fluid levels periodically. But I also use my car almost every day in stop and go traffic. And normal driving conditions. All that I have put my car through on the stock oil would have been game over for sure.

Newer oil technology has drastically improved. You can go on longer exchange intervals than in the 60’s and 70’s. Still for me it’s cheap insurance to keep the fluid fresh. I rather have good oil film strength and spend $70-80 every 3 months. For people that just daily driving and never beat on their car then the maintenance reminder might be a good option.

CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R, LS Swapped FC3S
For sure you have to use common sense. I always warm up my car and properly check all fluid levels periodically. But I also use my car almost every day in stop and go traffic. And normal driving conditions. All that I have put my car through on the stock oil would have been game over for sure.
Didn't mean to direct that at you. I know you have more knowledge than that! Haha.

It was more directed at the rest of the people following along. If you drive your car aggressively or track it once a month you should not trust the maintenance minder. It likely doesn't take into account track days or even the stop and go traffic like @Jester04 is referring to.

Last edited:

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R, 2006 s2000, 2022 Ram TRX, 2005 srt-4
Build Thread
Link
Didn't mean to direct that at you. I know you have more knowledge that! Haha.

It was more directed at the rest of the people following along. If you drive your car aggressively or track it once a month you should not trust the maintenance minder. It likely doesn't take into account track days or even the stop and go traffic like @Jester04 is referring to.
Oh I know my friend, just clearing up my thoughts lol. For most people it will work, in my opinion and that is mine only I think the factory recommended oil is a bit too thin and focusing more on efficiency. I think a 5W-30 is a good option for people that don’t live in freezing climates.

Integra23

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Integra 6spd A-Spec
I'm at 11k miles and still have 10% left on the maintenance due indicator. That seems a bit extreme especially how I drive.

Tickle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
Wondering if anyone has seen any data on the projected MTBF or any other statistics related to this fuel pump recall? Thank you.
I don't.
I'm at 11k miles and still have 10% left on the maintenance due indicator. That seems a bit extreme especially how I drive.
Well once you are at 15% Honda suggests scheduling the service at that time. I can't imagine Acura is different.

I was at 11,400 once I reached 15%.

I basically pay for service in-between and ask my service department to not clear my maintenance minder.

I also rotate my tires every oil change.

Integra23

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Integra 6spd A-Spec
I don't.

Well once you are at 15% Honda suggests scheduling the service at that time. I can't imagine Acura is different.

I was at 11,400 once I reached 15%.

I basically pay for service in-between and ask my service department to not clear my maintenance minder.

I also rotate my tires every oil change.
Yeah I changed it at 5k myself. Scheduled the free service for tomorrow.
Sponsored