• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

How to clean oil from the engine bay?

22-Si

First Name
Utku
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Si
Hi everyone, I just got the new Si, and I already fucked up. I recently changed the oil on my car, and the dipstick was at the halfway mark, so I decided to add some more oil( I heard that the halfway mark is more than enough, so now I feel like I should have just left it alone.) the following day. I did add the extra oil, but I forgot to put the cap back on and drove 30 minutes with the cap off. When I arrived at my destination, I could smell the oil, so I lifted up the hood, and the whole passenger side of the engine bay was covered with oil. I took it to a detailer; they said, " Since it's a new car, I don't feel comfortable pressure washing the engine bay, so I will just use some degreaser and a rag and wipe it down." He did; he tried his best, but he couldn't get all of it off(not blaming him, he tried his best). And, I want to get all the oil off. I even have oil on the passenger side axle and the electronic steering motor. The oil also got onto the belt. Should I be concerned? What products should I use to get it cleaned up? Or what steps should I take to clean it all up? It's my first time dealing with something like this, so I have no idea what I am doing, and I am open to comments. I appreciate any help you can provide.
Sponsored

zeroptzero

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Si, 2022 Subaru WRX
tough decision, it will get better over time but I know the feeling of wanting it clean. It will take lots of degreaser, Spray nine in a spray bottle is pretty good, Dawn dish soap diluted with water in a spray bottle is good , and there are lots of pressurized engine cleaner products in aeresol form that you can get at auto supply stores, some are citrus based etc.

I would spray down the areas and let it soak for some time, wipe off as much as you can reach by hand. Use paper towels and long scrub brushes. Soak the areas every day with spray bottles for a week, and see how it looks after a week of soaking, then wash down the areas for good.

A light power washing won't hurt anything just keep the wand a proper distance from the engine items. You can plastic bag any electronic items you see. I think the passenger side has less sensitive items than the driver side. Steam cleaning is very safe if you have access to steam cleaning equipment. The axle wont be harmed by oil, but you can reach it by removing a wheel and putting the car on a jackstand.

OP
OP

22-Si

First Name
Utku
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Si
tough decision, it will get better over time but I know the feeling of wanting it clean. It will take lots of degreaser, Spray nine in a spray bottle is pretty good, Dawn dish soap diluted with water in a spray bottle is good , and there are lots of pressurized engine cleaner products in aeresol form that you can get at auto supply stores, some are citrus based etc.

I would spray down the areas and let it soak for some time, wipe off as much as you can reach by hand. Use paper towels and long scrub brushes. Soak the areas every day with spray bottles for a week, and see how it looks after a week of soaking, then wash down the areas for good.

A light power washing won't hurt anything just keep the wand a proper distance from the engine items. You can plastic bag any electronic items you see. I think the passenger side has less sensitive items than the driver side. Steam cleaning is very safe if you have access to steam cleaning equipment. The axle wont be harmed by oil, but you can reach it by removing a wheel and putting the car on a jackstand.
Thank you man. I will try all those things. I appreciate your input.

zeroptzero

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Si, 2022 Subaru WRX
Good luck, let us know how it goes. I was part of the S2000 community for many years, lots of guys had their oil caps come loose and do the same thing with oil spraying in the engine bays. It can happen.

OP
OP

22-Si

First Name
Utku
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Si
Good luck, let us know how it goes. I was part of the S2000 community for many years, lots of guys had their oil caps come loose and do the same thing with oil spraying in the engine bays. It can happen.
I will; so far, it's pretty annoying seeing all that oil, but hopefully, I will be able to get it all off.
Sponsored