• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

[MSR Houston] First Track Day impressions from a novice driver

johnny.silva7

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(FL5) Civic Type R, Viper TA
Track Details: MSR Houston. 17 turns. 2.4 miles.54-70 degF and sunny. 2 track days with Driver's Edge. 4 15-minute sessions/day. Event is called Driver's Edge.

Over the weekend, I took the FL5 for it's first track event. Zero mods - only a brake flush with Castrol SRF. Purposely did this to get a baseline of the R's attributes. The end result: I had the most fun I've ever had on a track. It's such an incredible feeling especially considering how ready it is right out of the factory.

Day 1, I ran a couple sessions to feel the overall driving characteristics. My times improved by seconds each session as I moved from 7/10 to 8/10, etc. Day 2, I finished with 2 1:53's back-to-back. After some sessions, some other drivers came by to ask what mods the R has. They were shocked to find out it was 100% stock. This always leaves a positive feeling when you consider the bang-for-the-buck you get in the FL5.

Overall impression: The steering is precise and direct. The FWD was incredibly adaptable. It felt easy yet engaging through each segment. I would almost say just as fun and rewarding as my RWD car. The seats are incredible - cushioned in the right spots but bolstered aggressively for these occasions. Regarding cooling, I didn't experience any throttle or overheating issues the entire track weekend. I didn't see anything above the 250's the entire weekend. It could be that I'm a novice driver, and I didn't push the car to the limits. Who knows.

Minor complaint: The OEM exhaust is VERY quiet. When you have high winds, a helmet, and a headset, It becomes tough to gauge where you are on the RPM range without looking down at the LED's or dash. I mistakenly disconnected the pumped-in engine audio prior to the track event.

11th Gen Honda Civic [MSR Houston] First Track Day impressions from a novice driver IMG_10280.JPG

11th Gen Honda Civic [MSR Houston] First Track Day impressions from a novice driver IMG_11871.JPG

11th Gen Honda Civic [MSR Houston] First Track Day impressions from a novice driver IMG_11176.JPG

In a couple days, I'll take a look at all the tire wear, brake wear, and oil results (Blackstone), and I'll update this thread.

*Note: Unfortunately, I procrastinated and couldn't get my Honda data logger to save anything while I ran on the track. Thankfully I still got some Catalyst footage posted below.

Sponsored

yeaitsahonda

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Boost Blue Type R
Glad you enjoyed it! The FL5 is right at home doing track days. I agree with you about the exhaust level with a helmet on. The fake engine noise is almost a necessity on track with a factory exhaust.

Fanatic

First Name
Sonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Civic Type R and many more...
Thanks for sharing, Johnny. I used to attend with The Driver's Edge events all over Texas some years ago. That's a great group to tag along and grow with. Glad you had a positive experience.
Sponsored