• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Those who have winter...Seeking wiper tips

AshSerigala

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11-Gen Honda Civic Hatchback Sport-Touring
Heya. So, On my past car ( Chevy Spark ) I would just go to work and park my car. Work. Come out at the end of my day, see a layer of thick hard ice, and scrape it off. Pick up the wiper, Scrape, and its done within a minute or two even if its that thick 2mm glaze after storm.

On the civic. My wipers are in the off / non-auto settings. When you turn the car on, the wipers seem to always shift a little regardless what setting they're in, as if its coming out of a parked position. So, when I start my car to let it warm up, Its like ...Nice. Wipers move a hair, They're frozen, I'm sure that's great for them.

Go out to scrape the thick hard ice ( -10F ) and of course you cant lift the wipers more than a hair due to the dumb "hidden wiper" BS. So you gotta do the majority of the window first, then maintenance mode the wipers, to get the thick ice BS hidden down below. I'm talking thick dense ice, not the stuff that just flicks off.

So I guess my question for the more seasoned 11 gen owners, In the winter time, Do you ( or can you ) put the wipers up in maintenance mode, when you go onto your 8 hour shift? Or do you just leave them down? Half of me feels maybe its easier to leave the car in wiper maintenance mode when I know a ice+blizzard warning is going to happen, so I can just pickup the wiper and get the entire windshield. Because otherwise, I gotta clear all the BS off first to make a clear path FOR the wiper to move into position, so I can then get everything around the blade's parked position. This to me sounds like a very dumb question. But on my Chevy-Spark none of this was a thing. Because its a normal setup. I leave the blades down. Go to work. Come out. Pull blade up. Remove ice. Put blade down, Done.

And...can you even put the wiper into Maintenace mode while the car is running, or do I literally have to shut it off? I hate that mode having to exist, so much..

OTHER THAN THAT..I have zero complaints about the wipers/car. When the windshield is frosted over, the spray on the wipers does a MUCH better job than the spray on the hood. And when I'm driving on the highways with all that mud/salt spray from the car infront of me, blinding me, a single wipe gets the windshield clear with no streaks. Very happy with all of that. Just annoyed/confused about the best way to go about icing over VS best approach.
Sponsored

TDC50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Type R, C7 Corvette Grand Sport, Alfa Gulia
Found this video about the wipers. There is an option to ‘park‘ them when clearing ice or changing the blades

OP
OP
AshSerigala

AshSerigala

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11-Gen Honda Civic Hatchback Sport-Touring
Do appreciate the inputs. I still don't really understand why they made the wipers the way they did? Even parked side by side with a 10th gen, The difference in the looks of the hood there is so minimal most don't even notice it until I give the "But mine has a wiper Maintenace mode" and get the clueless wtf faces when I show the wipers cant get pulled up until you shut off the car. Crazy!

But it is what it is. I'll put up with the dumb feature as all the pros/funs of the car obviously make it worth it xD Will start forming the habit of shut off car and put wipers up whenever snow is forecasted.

zeroptzero

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Si, 2022 Subaru WRX
I would put them in the maintenance position and lift them up if you expect poor weather. It is easy to do just after you shut down the engine.

If I had a CVT I would love remote start for this very reason then you don't have to worry about wipers as much, but mine is an Si.

wilbur_the_goose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Coupe Touring, '14 BMW 328i Sport Line
We had our first cold snap in Philly last week. Temps were below 10F.

The new Rain-X wiper blades and -30F washer fluid worked perfectly compared to OEM blades and washer fluid.
Sponsored