• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Tint shade for hatch

jets-do-miami

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None - shopping for fl5
In NC tint is ltd 35% around. What is it for hatch and would would be a good ceramic IR tint shade?
Sponsored

RUNN1N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
The legal limit in NC is 35% for all windows, including rear windows, and tint cannot be applied beyond 5" from the top of the windshield: https://www.ncleg.gov/enactedlegislation/statutes/pdf/bysection/chapter_20/gs_20-127.pdf

A good tint shade darker than 35% is going to be a judgment call on your part--in my opinion, 35% isn't very dark at all, and as you go darker, you're only making it more obvious that you're beyond the legal limit.

Bazgab

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Honda Civic Type R
Like @RUNN1N said, 35% is the limit in NC for all windows (other than windshield). In my experience, tint of the same VLT % can appear different depending on product. I think my 35% Llumar IRX ceramic tint I have on my FL5 appears slightly darker than the ceramic tint I had on my M2 for example. May be hard to tell in the included pic but it was noticeable to me in person.

11th Gen Honda Civic Tint shade for hatch IMG20230723150835

OP
OP

jets-do-miami

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None - shopping for fl5
Hello thanks for the pics. - a shop has nano ceramics (xpel?) 30% in stock. is that a hard no in terms of regulations in NC which is 35% min?

RUNN1N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Hello thanks for the pics. - a shop has nano ceramics (xpel?) 30% in stock. is that a hard no in terms of regulations in NC which is 35% min?
Anything darker than 35% is not legal in NC (technically it’s 32%, which likely accounts for a degree in variation between products and meters), and the ticket is going to cost the same whether it’s limo tint or 30% (~$200), BUT I imagine it’s less likely that you’ll get pulled over strictly for tint at 30% as the degree of difference is going to be pretty minimal. Will an officer see your tint and think, “Hmmm that looks like a 30% vs a 35%”? Probably not. But if you’re pulled over and they check, they can ticket you.

It does look like tint is a primary offense in NC—you can be pulled over for no reason other than suspicion of your tint being too dark—whereas some states consider it a secondary offense where an officer has to observe some other type of violation (speeding, failure to stop/yield, etc) and can then investigate the tint darkness and add it to any ticket.

If you need to get your car inspected annually for registration purchases, they’re supposed to check your tint as well. They won’t necessarily, but they’re supposed to.

Now I’m going to take a guess that you’re at least somewhat risk averse since you’re going to all the trouble of debating 30% vs 35%. If you’re nervous about it, the peace of mind of getting 35% might be worth it for you, personally.
Sponsored