• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Will They Rub? FL5 OEM Wheels + 275/40/19 Tires

RUNN1N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
I'm located in central Ohio, so we get enough winter that I'll need to put away the OEM tires for ~4 months/year. I want to use the OEM wheels during winter, and get something more fun to use in the warmer months with the OEM tires. The FL5 is the family's secondary vehicle, so it can stay inside for the worst of winter weather, but I'll need to be able to do school-duty, etc. during routine Ohio cold/wet weather. I drive pretty conservatively in general and have no problem doing so even more based on weather/passengers. Looks aren't so much a concern, I don't want to end up in a ditch.

All-Season/Winter tire options are understandably limited in 265/30/19 (DWS 06+, basically) and quite expensive. If I go up to 265/35/19 or even 275/40/19, I can get a range of "Ultra High-Performance All-Season", "Grand Touring All-Season", and even "Performance Winter / Snow" tires at lower prices. Assuming the suspension is OEM, this calculator suggests the tire at 275/40/19 will ultimately sit 1.2" closer to the fender (it appears there's room) and the inner sidewall will be .2" closer to the frame (I assume there's room), though the speedometer will be off ~9%: https://tiresize.com/wheel-offset-calculator/

Is a 275/40/19 going to rub? It sounds like it'd fit on the OEM wheel, no? My apologies if this has been asked before--I've tried to read myself into a wheel/tire expert, but this stuff seems unnecessarily tricky.
Sponsored

OP
OP

RUNN1N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R

TheCanadian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
OE Tire size is 265/30.

255/35 is 2.8% larger in diameter compared to 265/30, which is within the 3% tolerance you generally want with tire sizes.

265/35 is 4% larger.

In winter you actually want a thinner tire. This increases the loading on the contact patch, compacting snow and increasing traction. FYI

Last edited:

TheCanadian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Just to add some context, I have an FK8 at stock height. I run a 18" wheel with 235/45 R18 winter tires.

OP
OP

RUNN1N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Just to add some context, I have an FK8 at stock height. I run a 18" wheel with 235/45 R18 winter tires.
Well that gives me some hope--I'm exploring a lead on a set of wheels with winter tires at 245/45/18. Sounds like they should fit a FL5 at stock height!
Sponsored