• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Would you get manual in an ugly color?

S2000toCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
IS350
Glad you did the long test as I suggested.

So I've mostly owned and driven manuals over the years. And I love them. My 10th gen turbo is my first CVT.

And sure, the term "CVT" disgusts a lot of manual owners. But I was open to it. And in time I realized it does a damn good job. It really does put you in the rpm range you need to be for any situation. Of course now I'm tuned so things are even better.

But the CVT takes some getting used to. It sounds "different'. Which is why acceleration sometimes doesn't feel as fast. We're used to certain sounds as we wind through the gears. With the CVT, say merging on the highway, it doesn't "feel" as fast but then you look down at the speedometer and you're shocked how fast you're going. Of course tuned it does feel fast, real fast.

Nothing can equal the control and engaging feel of a manual but the Honda CVT is better than a lot of people think.
Do upshifts using the paddles in a CVT happen quickly, or is there a 1+ second delay like in a normal auto using paddles?
Sponsored

OP
OP

sosueme

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CR-V
Do upshifts using the paddles in a CVT happen quickly, or is there a 1+ second delay like in a normal auto using paddles?
I don’t know what a normal auto with paddles Is like. But in the Civic the paddles seemed to shift pretty quick, both on up shift and down shift. I did not notice any delay.

alic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring
Honda makes a great CVT. It doesn't make fake gear shifts so it's smooth like a luxury automatic, fuel efficient, and is able to squeeze out every power from the engine. For example, for 0-60, the manual 2.0L is only 0.6s faster than the CVT, and the 1.5T engine records almost the same time between the two transmissions. Whereas if you look at Corolla Hatchback, with 180+hp from the 2.0L engine, the manual does 0-60 a whole second faster than the CVT. It also does fake shifting so you are constantly reminded that you are in a ecobox. It also gets almost 10% worse fuel economy than the Civic: 8.4/6.7 vs 7.7/6.0 (city/hwy, in L/100km)

Last edited:

Baldilocks

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
After buying a Sonic Gray (a color that I wasn't too happy about), I can honestly say that I wouldn't have one in any other color now. Just a spectacular color, especially on the hatch. But, do what makes you happy.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Yeah. Here's the thing. Cars today are a huge $$ investment. At least to me, 30K is no small drop in the bucket.

Like I said earlier to the OP, color does matter. If he loves Boost Blue. Get Boost Blue. Why settle? Buyer's remorse sucks.

On the other hand, it's about priorities. Some people want a manual so badly that the exterior color is no big deal because like someone said, you spent all your time in the interior and driving. But to me, even when I've owned a car I love for 5+ years, I still glance back at it with a smile after parking it.

Last edited:

ValkenDnB

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
The 2022 civic actually has a great CVT. It's not buzzy as much and accelerates well. I too love to row gears, but when I know I'm driving somewhere that's going to have traffic I'd rather take our 2022 civic CVT or 2014 corolla cvt. The 2022 civic platform is fun regardless if it's a cvt or manual imo. It handles curves at high speeds extremely well. If you want more power you can always tune the car, there's already tunes out there if that's your cup of tea. From what it sounds like, you want the manual but the colors suck + you encounter traffic everyday. Sounds like you won't really get to enjoy the car and will be going from 1st to 2nd only for the majority of the time. I'd get the CVT. If possible keep your mini. As @gtman said above though, if you really want MT you'll get it regardless of the color. You just have to make the decision if you're truly going to enjoy it in traffic or not. All I gotta say is, it hits different when you can remote start your car from the inside and come into a warm car right now that it's winter ;)

One last thing, Traffic-Jam Assist, our EX doesn't have it, but it sounds nice for the car to stop and go on it's own when you have adaptive cruise on at low speeds.

jtrader

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatch Sport 6MT, 2022 Odyssey EXL
One last thing, Traffic-Jam Assist, our EX doesn't have it, but it sounds nice for the car to stop and go on it's own when you have adaptive cruise on at low speeds.
Does your EX have Low Speed follow? Our new van has it, I've used it in several traffic jams, and even coming into stop signs and red lights. All that's required is to press "resume" to get moving again. I wonder is T-J Assist any better than that? I will say, the low speed follow is not that smooth. It can brake way too late for my liking especially if you're not following at max distance (4 bars). Plus it requires serious faith in the entire system that you're not going to smash into the car in front.

ValkenDnB

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Does your EX have Low Speed follow? Our new van has it, I've used it in several traffic jams, and even coming into stop signs and red lights. All that's required is to press "resume" to get moving again. I wonder is T-J Assist any better than that? I will say, the low speed follow is not that smooth. It can brake way too late for my liking especially if you're not following at max distance (4 bars). Plus it requires serious faith in the entire system that you're not going to smash into the car in front.
It doesn’t have it. It does have heated seats which somehow didn’t make it to the si and the si has always been based off of the ex trim.
Sponsored