• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

administrator

Administrator
First Name
Admin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Build Thread
Link
Creative311.com reports via Japanese print magazine "Magazine X" that the new Civic hatchback will make its world debut in Japan (not the US). The report goes on to claim that the 11th gen Civic will be the first to be built on Honda's new platform/architecture.
Sponsored

RobbJK

First Name
Robb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Coupe
So it won't be on the same platform as the sedan? (makes sense because type R) or just that the hatchback will release first overseas before the sedan here which will use the same new platform. But November 2021 seems really late in the game to release... it supports the idea that the sedan will release first, then the hatch... but if this is the first to use a new platform, then is it different than the sedan platform? OR are they just referring to the first Japanese model to get the new platform... kinda confusing.

Last edited:

TigerEyeJazz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X2 M35i
Well isn’t the 11th Civic Sedan platform a retooled version of the current one? If the Civic hatchback is going to have a separate platform compared to the Sedan then that means the Hatchback will still continue to be the more sport oriented model. Also Acura would be using the hatchback platform for the new Compact Sports Sedan/Liftback model. I’m confused as well.

fkseven

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK7
My guess is double wishbone suspension.

JimmEEE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mz3
This appears to be the article in question. I had to use google translate for the webpage, I don't speak or read Japanese:
https://creative311.com/?p=113350

The article actually references another Japanese car magazine, Magazine X, as the source of the info (see picture). There is a
picture of the back end of the Civic XI on the cover.
11th Gen Honda Civic Report: 2022 Civic Hatchback will debut in Japan and be built on new platform 20210226_NewCivic

Last edited:

RobbJK

First Name
Robb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That is a good point about the ILX replacement... still seems slightly odd that the sedan and hatch would ride on different platforms, but it would at least make some sense that the sedan will debut first here Spring/Summer... the ILX replacement will then debut for Acura (technically not a honda product) with this new small car platform. THEN the hatchback civic will debut with the new platform in the Fall. There were also whispers that Acura's new light truck platform (MDX/RDX) would migrate to Honda for the Pilot/Passport redo. Still think fall is a while to wait for the hatch, and I hope that this difference in platform doesn't kill the chance at an Si variant for it.

RobbJK

First Name
Robb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This seems wrong on a couple fronts.

For starters, why are they releasing this in Japan first when it's being built in the US? Odd.

Secondly, has a Civic generation ever been built on two different platforms before?
I feel like there could be something missing in translation (literally). And the article is meant to be much more japan-centric. It'll be the first application/release of this new platform IN JAPAN. But because the hatch is being built in NA along with the sedan, we may actually see it first here in sedan form. But it'll be the first application of the new platform specifically for Japan when they debut/release the hatch.

TigerEyeJazz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X2 M35i

For starters, why are they releasing this in Japan first when it's being built in the US? Odd.

Secondly, has a Civic generation ever been built on two different platforms before?
Reason why they would reveal the hatchback first in Japan is simple. Japan is no longer selling the Sedan counter part of the Civic. If you think about it, hatchback’s actually sell well in Japan rather then Sedans. Heck even one of Toyota’s longest nameplates in Japan is literally being turned into a SUV model the Crown of course. So logically it makes sense.

As for the ILX replacement, that model has yet to have been caught on camera testing around but I do feel like it’s been testing under the Civic hatchback camo. That model will hypothetically be revealed sometime this year as 2021 is the final model year for the ILX. Also yes the next Gen Pilot,Passport and Ridgeline will all use the new light truck under pinning of the MDX but it will share nothing in common component wise to the MDX. Honda might be going back completely to DWS which is a fantastic idea honestly. The Civic should be revealed fully sometime later this month or early next month.

TigerEyeJazz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X2 M35i
That is a good point about the ILX replacement... still seems slightly odd that the sedan and hatch would ride on different platforms, but it would at least make some sense that the sedan will debut first here Spring/Summer... the ILX replacement will then debut for Acura (technically not a honda product) with this new small car platform. THEN the hatchback civic will debut with the new platform in the Fall. There were also whispers that Acura's new light truck platform (MDX/RDX) would migrate to Honda for the Pilot/Passport redo. Still think fall is a while to wait for the hatch, and I hope that this difference in platform doesn't kill the chance at an Si variant for it.
funny the Pilot just got spotted testing for the first time today. https://www.autoblog.com/2021/03/03/honda-pilot-spy-photos-ridgeline-fascia-mdx-platform/

Acura_CSX_4eva

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Acura Manual Transmission + Nav + Heated Leather
I really REALLY hope there's an Si variant for this hatchback! When I saw the sedan reveal I wasn't too hyped for it. But the hatchback, this may be the final years we'll ever get a 6 speed manual so MAKE IT HAPPEN!

RobbJK

First Name
Robb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oh wow! That is certainly a departure from the current Pilot. MUCH better in my opinion... doesn't look like a minivan anymore. That front grill looks insanely huge and aggressive (like the new Ridgeline but bigger). Glad to see it gain a more prominent long nose (helps take away the minivan vibe). There's alot of padding, but it looks to have a very similar profile and proportions as its MDX brother, just with honda's front/rear styling treatments.

I read from one of honda's designers that they'd be taking their SUV/Crossover lineup in a more rugged direction... this appears to do that. The passport should follow suit soon after as well. It also bodes well for an all new ridgeline in a few years. Wonder what will end up happening for the CRV and American HRV as well.

Also a funny side thought when you mentioned the ILX replacement testing disguised as a civic hatch... the 10th gen hatch was originally tested in a mule body that was made up partially of ILX body parts.

TigerEyeJazz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X2 M35i
Oh wow! That is certainly a departure from the current Pilot. MUCH better in my opinion... doesn't look like a minivan anymore. That front grill looks insanely huge and aggressive (like the new Ridgeline but bigger). Glad to see it gain a more prominent long nose (helps take away the minivan vibe). There's alot of padding, but it looks to have a very similar profile and proportions as its MDX brother, just with honda's front/rear styling treatments.

I read from one of honda's designers that they'd be taking their SUV/Crossover lineup in a more rugged direction... this appears to do that. The passport should follow suit soon after as well. It also bodes well for an all new ridgeline in a few years. Wonder what will end up happening for the CRV and American HRV as well.

Also a funny side thought when you mentioned the ILX replacement testing disguised as a civic hatch... the 10th gen hatch was originally tested in a mule body that was made up partially of ILX body parts.
Yeah that was funny I feel like Honda/Acura are doing that on purpose but the average joe won’t notice it.

Yes the Pilot looks so much better with this ruggedness Going on it. Finally embodies what Honda want to do in that department. Expect a HPD model as well for all the new SUV’s.

JimmEEE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mz3

I feel like there could be something missing in translation (literally). And the article is meant to be much more japan-centric. It'll be the first application/release of this new platform IN JAPAN. But because the hatch is being built in NA along with the sedan, we may actually see it first here in sedan form. But it'll be the first application of the new platform specifically for Japan when they debut/release the hatch.
I used google translate to translate the https://creative311.com/?p=113350 web page that was the source. That is indeed a Japanese blog, with a Japan-centric focus. They do mention that it will be built on both US and Japan. I also wonder if there's something lost in translation, or if the info on that webpage is 100% accurate.
Sponsored