• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

[PSA] Wipers are Complicated!!!

OP
OP
frontlinegeek

frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV Touring, 2022 Civic Touring Sedan
I should see if our 2020 CRV has the same mode or not... Something to check when my wife gets home today.
Finally remembered to check tonight and no, it doesn't. At least not activated the same way. Haven't looked in the manual though.
Sponsored

OP
OP
frontlinegeek

frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looks super basic and easy. Not sure why people find this difficult?
Because for 75 years, common cars didn't need this feature. I argue they still don't. And for this feature to exist on cars in a way that make it a DAMAGE risk if you do something wrong, is a horrible design mistake. I also believe that if they are going to start adding more and more of these kinds of modes to cars, they need to add these all as options in a maintenance menu in the infotainment system. Having to get 30 lives in Contra is not what I signed up for when buying a new car.

For those too old to get the reference: https://gaming.stackexchange.com/qu...de-to-get-30-lives-in-the-original-contra#397

drakeswift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Honda Civic Sport
so i am confused. If you dont put them in maintenance mode when lifting them, do they just freak out on you once you turn the car on or something? Im guessing before going into maintenance mode you should wet the windshield?

Thanks for any help/clarification. about to wash the car for the first time.

OP
OP
frontlinegeek

frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
so i am confused. If you dont put them in maintenance mode when lifting them, do they just freak out on you once you turn the car on or something?
The wiper arms move freely by hand when the car is off. This is contrary to how wipers have worked on most cars for, well, as long as it matters to anyone alive today. If you move them there by hand and then turn on the car, the wipers will return to "home". That being all the way down in their unused position.

So... If you move them yourself and then pull them away from the glass and then turn the car on to move it for some reason (What I did), then you end up with the wipers moving to home and the up-lifted arms pressing against the edge of your hood. This CAN result in paint loss. It didn't for me, fortunately, but others have.

So if you are doing wiper maintenance or a full windshield clean, for the protection of your paint and your sanity, ALWAYS use maintenance mode or NEVER turn your car back on AT ALL until you have personally returned the wiper arms to the glass surface.

Im guessing before going into maintenance mode you should wet the windshield?
Nah, this is more a general statement to (likely) remove liability from Honda for if you manage to scratch your glass. It is smart to not do it in general but if you have blasted your windshield with the hose, then anything nasty and gritty will likely be gone anyhow.
Sponsored