• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Riko

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.0L Turbo, CVT, Elegance trim
Yeah, there is this classic car channel on Discovery, Vintage Voltage, a UK company transforming classic cars with EV power.
They have a youtube channes as well.

Cool series to follow.

Guess what they are using, Tesla hardware. (Motors and packs)
But not only second hand Tesla stuff, also new less powerfull motors.

And today saw a vid of a owner who wanted to know the battery degradation on his battery...82% after 5 years or so.
Wich was good, and he said, if it was 77% or lower, I would use the battery for my hous and get off the grid.
(He works with batteries and was also tech savy)

It shows there is a lot that can be done with an ev pack even if its not good enough for car use 🤷‍♂️
Sponsored

Riko

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Good points. I think another important point to note is perspective. Another thing that people do not understand is that EVs and Lithium batteries are still relatively new (I mean as in being mass marketed). When ICE automobiles were being bought en masse in the 1950s the emissions were radically different than now. Also the batteries back then impacted the environment more than lithium, as they contained mercury. Not sure when exactly car batteries transitioned from mercury to lead-acid but in 1996 mercury batteries were outlawed in the US in favor of lead-acid and Nickle batteries which still have a higher environmental impact than lithium. This would explain why there hasn't been any legislation for it yet as lithium is relatively less dangerous than mercury, lead-acid and Nickle as well as being a new technology.

You can expect the same situation with EVs. Lithium ion battery production and capacity has been dramatically rising in the past decade. As what we have discussed there is the possibility of Lithium Air or SSD batteries being used for EVs, so that uncertainty is one additional reason why there has been a lack of investment. However you can expect the recycling to begin to become more efficient when it becomes more mainstream. The fear mongering about lithium batteries doesn't make much sense in this context. Its literally more environmental friendly than lead-acid batteries which is used in ICE cars.
Facts, since Tesla begin it all, (ignoring the early 1900's or was it end 1800's when the actual first cars were EV....🤐) this is still early stage when compared to the +100 year ICE cycle we are in.

It took like 10 years or less for carcompanies to make powerfull small capacity low cilinder engines to match and go beyond the big blocks of the '70, '80, '90 🤣 ànd using less fuel....because companies were pushed to find new boundries.

When there is a crisis, companies can be very savy and think out of the box.

So we are now finally at a point were an ICE cannot be any more efficient than now.

EV tech will just be the continuation of stretching everything to the max in terms of efficiency and renewability I think, they (companies pushed by governments and all sorts of groups) wont be waiting another 7 decades to make shifts...🙄

That all said, I made a trip to this little cool garage/company 😎🙌
https://www.s2000partseurope.com/

They seem to be the place to be if you got an S2000 and are from Europe.
They got it all, like a mine S2000 factory 🤓
And they also DO it all, rebuilds, body, engine, gearb,ox, paint, restojobs, fixing.

Makes me wanna invest in a ICE car, wich strangely enough in these EV and hybrid times wouldnt be such a bad idea 🤔

s2kdriver80

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY21 FK8 Honda Civic Type R, MY03 AP1 Honda S2000
Build Thread
Link
That all said, I made a trip to this little cool garage/company 😎🙌
https://www.s2000partseurope.com/

They seem to be the place to be if you got an S2000 and are from Europe.
They got it all, like a mine S2000 factory 🤓
And they also DO it all, rebuilds, body, engine, gearb,ox, paint, restojobs, fixing.
Like the Billman of Europe :cool:

Riko

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Haha explain?
Billman?
Does it mean what I think you mean? 😵

s2kdriver80

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY21 FK8 Honda Civic Type R, MY03 AP1 Honda S2000
Build Thread
Link
Haha explain?
Billman?
Does it mean what I think you mean? 😵
Lol, he's on the s2ki.com forums (handle name "Billman250") and he's probably the most knowledgeable and experienced S2000 mechanic in the US, maybe on the planet. He has only worked on S2000s ever since they came out. People drive across the country to have their S2000s serviced by him, and owners around the globe buy his timing chain tensioner mod to replace the lousy original one. Luckily, he is just 15 minutes from me, so he was my go-to S2000 tech.

Last edited:

Riko

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
okay @s2kdriver80 , you didnt visit the link huh....didnt even read the link to 🤷‍♂️ :rolleyes:

1 word: Europe

Last edited:

Riko

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
he also has this big shop with tons of stuff lying around?

like they made a tour of the site on youtube of the European S2000 guy :) (in French)

Ulti-Resis

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type-R GT
One word. Hydrogen. That's what we should be doing, forget EV.

TypeSiR

First Name
Car Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, CTR, MX-5, Fit

Boostlag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MK7.5 GTI
I can see honda implementing MGU-K and MGU-H from what they learned from F1 in to the R the same way AMG is doing in their new 4 bangers but not a full on hybrid.

Riko

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One word. Hydrogen. That's what we should be doing, forget EV.
One word: wrong, you have cleary thought it over huh...🤔

No serious, its not the one OR the other lol, if anything, its gonna be a mix of EV and Hydrogen.
big heavy transport can benefit greatly of hydrogen, more than a using big fat batteries...problem with hydrogen, more than with EV, is the infrastructure: its a complete and utter joke, and this has been a joke for years....there needs to be a Tesla for hydrogen to push things, because its sad, and talking worldwide sad....

Just checking: but you do know what the components are of a hydrogen car huh?

I can see honda implementing MGU-K and MGU-H from what they learned from F1 in to the R the same way AMG is doing in their new 4 bangers but not a full on hybrid.
that MGU-H is gonna be dumped in 2026, because it to damn complicated.

Ulti-Resis

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type-R GT
Sorry Einstein, forgot you are the leading authority on everything around here. Yes I have thought it over and have been for somewhere close to 30 years.

Firstly, Hydrogen is the most abundant element on the planet. Secondly it is very efficient in terms of it's explosive properties and emits only water as its waste/exhaust. Thirdly, a lot of the infrastructure is already in place, unlike EV infrastructure. Existing forecourts can easily be adapted for hydrogen, many of which already store and supply LPG. On top of that, hydrogen production could be integrated into existing industries, including power stations where heat and steam is generated already and can even be done on site.

Refuelling, unlike recharging an EV, takes mere minutes and the range of a tank of hydrogen is upwards of 350 miles. No waiting around for an age or running out of power in a lot less miles than claimed. The EV battery costs a fortune and becomes less and less reliable over a very short time too.

Francois Isaac de Rivaz invented a hydrogen engine more than 200 years ago so it's not particularly new technology. Albeit that the Hydrogen designs of today are somewhat less primitive and are based on fuel cell technology. Honda, Toyota and Hyundai have already designed hydrogen cars years ago and solved all of the safety concerns regarding the fuel cell and onboard storage.

The fact that it hasn't been adopted widely is a lot to do with the oil industry and comes down to the mighty $. It's simply a choice that could have been made differently. The cost of development would have fallen dramatically had it been adopted instead of EV.

The cost of production, storage, transport and the hydrogen itself would dramatically reduce with full and widespread adoption.

Hydrogen has massive potential, not just cars but air travel, transport, even powering our homes and businesses. EV cannot boast of the same potential.

As for the components of a hydrogen car, of course I know and understand how it functions. I wouldn't pass comment if I didn't.
Sponsored