• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Windshield freezes while driving

wilbur_the_goose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Coupe Touring, '14 BMW 328i Sport Line
It will soon be November and the temps are declining. Last winter, many of us had scary experiences where the windshield would freeze up on the outside during freezing weather.

The problem appeared to have been with the design of the wiper blade or tensioner because large areas of the windshield wouldn't be "wiped" when the temp was below 30F. Those missed areas would freeze and present a serious driving hazard.

As of today, there are no 3rd party replacement parts available, and Honda has ignored our requests for help.

Has anybody heard anything from Honda on this?
Sponsored

psyborg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Ok I'm really confused here. Are you saying that your window wipers aren't covering your whole windshield? Have you tried replacing them? Are you using cold weather windshield fluid? Are you sure the wipers are installed properly, and are a high quality winter grade? Cheap or old wipers can do this as well.
If you're still concerned about this I'd use some ceramic coating on the windshield and get some new high quality wipers. Make sure your wiper fluid is rated for low temperatures.

Integra23

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Integra 6spd A-Spec
I had issues with humidity when I first got mine. I couldn't get the fog off the inside of the vehicle last June with heavy rain. Not sure how it will fair this winter

psyborg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Again, do you have windshield fluid rated for -40C? If not, they have them at Costco. $15 for 16L. The stock/regular stuff will freeze in the winter.

OP
OP
wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The washer fluid I used last winter in PA was rated to -25F, about the lowest you can buy in the USA.

I use the same fluid in my BMW and it worked perfectly.

Preyforsurf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 CTR
I had issues with humidity when I first got mine. I couldn't get the fog off the inside of the vehicle last June with heavy rain. Not sure how it will fair this winter
My BRZ has that problem, just got to run defrost/ac to clear it. A defog-antifog product helps as well, but running the defrost clears it all up.

Integra23

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Integra 6spd A-Spec
My BRZ has that problem, just got to run defrost/ac to clear it. A defog-antifog product helps as well, but running the defrost clears it all up.
I had the defrost on full boar for 15 minutes and no relief.

VarmintCong

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST-Line
Both my Civics sometimes had some trouble with this in severe weather, but still driveable.

Was it snowing, like were the wipers working properly? If so maybe windshield not installed properly?

Preyforsurf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 CTR
Real... potentially stupid question; are the vents for the defrost blocked?
Its essentially humidity in your car. Real heavy fog either inside or outside is due to warm air hitting cold air and flashing to due point. If its inside that means its moisture inside the car, it will happen to me if I hop in sweaty or if I'm trying to avoid AC in the rain pulls moisture from outside. The defrost ac should move the humidity away from the window.

Integra23

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Integra 6spd A-Spec
Real... potentially stupid question; are the vents for the defrost blocked?
Its essentially humidity in your car. Real heavy fog either inside or outside is due to warm air hitting cold air and flashing to due point. If its inside that means its moisture inside the car, it will happen to me if I hop in sweaty or if I'm trying to avoid AC in the rain pulls moisture from outside. The defrost ac should move the humidity away from the window.
Heavy rain started while driving and the inside fogged over . Defrost was turned on and couldn't overcome it. Lol had probably 20+ cars and this one was the worst in this situation. But now with tint maybe it's better.. only time will tell.

OP
OP
wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The root cause of the freezing is bad windshield wipers. They spread water across the windshield and it freezes. There are finally replacement blades not made by Honda.
Sponsored