Sponsored

Problem driving through water puddles - grind/buzz when I rev - have to restart the car to fix

OP
OP

Blindeye_03

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 23, 2016
Threads
17
Messages
432
Reaction score
101
Location
Cincinnati Ohio
Vehicle(s)
'24 CTR - red
From your original video, it sounds like something is coming in contact with the body. You definitely shouldn’t need a second car, or need to get rid of it. It’s just an odd problem that needs to be found. I think the most likely culprit is the exhaust, but dammed if I know why that’s happening only in the rain!

I can’t wait to hear what the issue is!
I cant seem to find what it is.. and hopefully that is it. Ive seen people have loose subframe bolts and originally this car had the steering rack issue fixed or addressed before honda came out with the updated fix for it. So maybe that?

I want a second car regardless and I dont want to get rid of this one. Its hard to keep driving though with the vibration/buzz.. like its real loud and intense.
Sponsored

 
OP
OP

Blindeye_03

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 23, 2016
Threads
17
Messages
432
Reaction score
101
Location
Cincinnati Ohio
Vehicle(s)
'24 CTR - red
We'll see if warranty covers the valve cover gasket because I have mods - a RMM and a short shifter LMFAO. Sigh, I am 99.9% sure theyll do the work and cover under warranty but why would they even need to make that comment.... And the "its not raining" when it comes to checking out the other issue. Yeah I get that but put it on the lift please and just check stuff - especially sub frame bolts since I had the steering rack fixed way back before Honda had the "tool" to make it easier/quicker.

edit/update: the dealer sent a video to me showing that the car had an aftermarket RMM which is causing this issue. okay.,. sure.

The valve cover is up to me to be replaced? me? and they want to use an aftermarket clamp on the front of the engine to the PCV? I think? And the valve cover leaks at the spark plug seals.... oh really?? So I asked for them to check the spark plugs and the coils. I am curious if this car has been misfiring this whole time now.

When I used my Autel 808 to data log I would see this pending DTC: P0560 ECM/PCM Power Source Circuit Unexpected Voltage. I wonder if that is telling me there's a misfire? I gave all of this to the dealer in hopes that they just fix the damn car.
 
Last edited:
OP
OP

Blindeye_03

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 23, 2016
Threads
17
Messages
432
Reaction score
101
Location
Cincinnati Ohio
Vehicle(s)
'24 CTR - red
update: Honda is refusing to replace the valve cover gasket - oil is pooling at the top of the motor and from this little hose on the front. The hose on the front is to blame for the oil on the back of the motor?

Im sorry to say ill never have an update to this thread for why its vibrating and buzzing as I wont be keeping the car if I have to fight this hard to have any warranty work done.

And yeah screw me for installing an aftermarket RMM.
 

J_D

Senior Member
First Name
J
Joined
May 9, 2024
Threads
20
Messages
495
Reaction score
506
Location
Montreal
Vehicle(s)
2024 Civic Type R
Brutal, did they find the source of the leak and say the RMM voided the warranty ?
 
OP
OP

Blindeye_03

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 23, 2016
Threads
17
Messages
432
Reaction score
101
Location
Cincinnati Ohio
Vehicle(s)
'24 CTR - red
Brutal, did they find the source of the leak and say the RMM voided the warranty ?
When I called to make the appoinment to bring my car in, I was told a test could be done to see if the valve cover gasket was leaking or not. But no test was done.

The breather at the front of the engine (top front) does have a leak, and the running theory is that oil is running all along that and dripping down but it could still be the gasket too... They will replace the clamps and hose next week once parts are in.

They did blame the vibrating on the RMM.
 
Last edited:


jtlctr

Senior Member
First Name
Jake
Joined
May 12, 2024
Threads
16
Messages
712
Reaction score
882
Location
USA
Vehicle(s)
2024 Civic Type R, 2008 Acura RDX
Concerning the vibration: You already have an oem mount on the way, so you can install that and see what effect it has.

For the valve cover leak, you definitely need a new gasket, and I don't disagree with the tech about replacing that clamp, but I question his diagnosis on the tube seals. He really should have pulled the coils to see if oil is leaking down inside of the tubes. What he points too in the video could just be oil migrating from the leak around that breather hose. If the seals are leaking (which I kind of doubt), I don't think they are replaceable on their own. It seems that Honda, for whatever reason, doesn't sell them separately, and they only come with a new cover. At least that's what I was told when I replaced my gasket. My tube seals weren't leaking but I wanted to do them while I had the cover off, but not at the expense of buying a new cover.

If they're claiming that the RMM caused the oil leak, they're either incompetent, or just full of shit. I think you should install the oem RMM, then take the car to a different dealer for the oil leak if you can. If that's too much of a hassle, and you have to pay out of pocket anyhow, do you know any independent shops that you trust? If so, just have them do the work.
 
OP
OP

Blindeye_03

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 23, 2016
Threads
17
Messages
432
Reaction score
101
Location
Cincinnati Ohio
Vehicle(s)
'24 CTR - red
Concerning the vibration: You already have an oem mount on the way, so you can install that and see what effect it has.

For the valve cover leak, you definitely need a new gasket, and I don't disagree with the tech about replacing that clamp, but I question his diagnosis on the tube seals. He really should have pulled the coils to see if oil is leaking down inside of the tubes. What he points too in the video could just be oil migrating from the leak around that breather hose. If the seals are leaking (which I kind of doubt), I don't think they are replaceable on their own. It seems that Honda, for whatever reason, doesn't sell them separately, and they only come with a new cover. At least that's what I was told when I replaced my gasket. My tube seals weren't leaking but I wanted to do them while I had the cover off, but not at the expense of buying a new cover.

If they're claiming that the RMM caused the oil leak, they're either incompetent, or just full of shit. I think you should install the oem RMM, then take the car to a different dealer for the oil leak if you can. If that's too much of a hassle, and you have to pay out of pocket anyhow, do you know any independent shops that you trust? If so, just have them do the work.
I may just do that - have an independent shop do the work.. The dealer I wanted to go to (where I bought it) doesnt have any loaner cars and theyre an hour away. This dealer the car is at now has had my last type R before and done all kinds of work to it. The tech there is also an owner of a Type R but I guess either hes busy or quit and they no longer put the Type R work onto a more senior person.

Ive suspected the car was misfiring after logging data with the Autel 808.. And if oil is getting into the spark plugs then the Pending DTC I always see sort of makes sense now... if the car is misfiring on a majority of the time with Cylinder 1, then 2 and 3. 4 doesnt seem to happen as often - if the screen grab is accurate at all:

Pending DTCs: P0560 ECM/PCM Power Source Circuit Unexpected Voltage


11th Gen Honda Civic Problem driving through water puddles - grind/buzz when I rev - have to restart the car to fix 1789658497705-6j
 

jtlctr

Senior Member
First Name
Jake
Joined
May 12, 2024
Threads
16
Messages
712
Reaction score
882
Location
USA
Vehicle(s)
2024 Civic Type R, 2008 Acura RDX
I may just do that - have an independent shop do the work.. The dealer I wanted to go to (where I bought it) doesnt have any loaner cars and theyre an hour away. This dealer the car is at now has had my last type R before and done all kinds of work to it. The tech there is also an owner of a Type R but I guess either hes busy or quit and they no longer put the Type R work onto a more senior person.

Ive suspected the car was misfiring after logging data with the Autel 808.. And if oil is getting into the spark plugs then the Pending DTC I always see sort of makes sense now... if the car is misfiring on a majority of the time with Cylinder 1, then 2 and 3. 4 doesnt seem to happen as often - if the screen grab is accurate at all:

Pending DTCs: P0560 ECM/PCM Power Source Circuit Unexpected Voltage


1789658497705-6j.webp
Oh! I didn’t realize you had some misfire codes, and the other voltage code. That could be very telling. Have you gone through the engine bay to check the grounds? That might be a good place to start in diagnosing potential electrical issues. And also removing the coils to see if there’s any oil seepage or evidence of arcing.
 
OP
OP

Blindeye_03

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 23, 2016
Threads
17
Messages
432
Reaction score
101
Location
Cincinnati Ohio
Vehicle(s)
'24 CTR - red
Oh! I didn’t realize you had some misfire codes, and the other voltage code. That could be very telling. Have you gone through the engine bay to check the grounds? That might be a good place to start in diagnosing potential electrical issues. And also removing the coils to see if there’s any oil seepage or evidence of arcing.
I havent gone that far into it - I never thought anything of it to be honest. Am I an idiot? yes. lol. But I told the service advisor. Im going to do that myself in their parking lot when I pick the car up before I take it home.
 


OP
OP

Blindeye_03

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 23, 2016
Threads
17
Messages
432
Reaction score
101
Location
Cincinnati Ohio
Vehicle(s)
'24 CTR - red
going to pick the car up with a new clamp on the breather hose.. cant make this shit up lol
 

jtlctr

Senior Member
First Name
Jake
Joined
May 12, 2024
Threads
16
Messages
712
Reaction score
882
Location
USA
Vehicle(s)
2024 Civic Type R, 2008 Acura RDX
I havent gone that far into it - I never thought anything of it to be honest. Am I an idiot? yes. lol. But I told the service advisor. Im going to do that myself in their parking lot when I pick the car up before I take it home.
You’re not an idiot, these kinds of issues can be incredibly challenging. If it is a misfire or other electrical malfunction, I would think you would notice the power loss and sputtering. Also, it would be unusual for that to go away immediately after a restart. But who knows? Electricity is some mysterious shit! In any case, it’s worth looking into for sure.
 
OP
OP

Blindeye_03

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 23, 2016
Threads
17
Messages
432
Reaction score
101
Location
Cincinnati Ohio
Vehicle(s)
'24 CTR - red
You’re not an idiot, these kinds of issues can be incredibly challenging. If it is a misfire or other electrical malfunction, I would think you would notice the power loss and sputtering. Also, it would be unusual for that to go away immediately after a restart. But who knows? Electricity is some mysterious shit! In any case, it’s worth looking into for sure.
I appreciate the kind words, I mostly meant I just keep forgetting everything going on with this car in a light hearted way.

I showed one of the techs when I went to get my car and was told there could be just normal misfire? What the hell is that even? lol. Nothing more was done for that. But if oil is leaking out of the breather I do wonder if that could be making that happen?

I kept pleading with my service advisor to just have them put the car on the lift and they did find the cause of the vibration or one cause - need to see if it still happens but one of the clamps on the front resonator (that I had cut and replaced with a pipe) has been hitting the bottom of the car - I missed it when I was under it the last time, but you could clearly see it had been making contact with the bottom of the car. They did rotate that for me so it should be resolved.

Ill have to go back next week to have the breather hose and clamps replaced and then that'll be monitored for the valve cover gasket to get replaced. It could be a while just because of my schedule.

They did have a tech there with a Type R that did check over the car and explained it all to me and it all made sense for the most part. He seemed more knowledgeable than the original tech that sent that video. He did take one of the coil packs off and showed how its not leaking.. All of the oil on top of the motor and on the sides is most likely from that breather. fingers crossed.

But ill know soon about the vibration because its going to rain here starting tomorrow and over the next few days.
 

jtlctr

Senior Member
First Name
Jake
Joined
May 12, 2024
Threads
16
Messages
712
Reaction score
882
Location
USA
Vehicle(s)
2024 Civic Type R, 2008 Acura RDX
I appreciate the kind words, I mostly meant I just keep forgetting everything going on with this car in a light hearted way.

I showed one of the techs when I went to get my car and was told there could be just normal misfire? What the hell is that even? lol. Nothing more was done for that. But if oil is leaking out of the breather I do wonder if that could be making that happen?

I kept pleading with my service advisor to just have them put the car on the lift and they did find the cause of the vibration or one cause - need to see if it still happens but one of the clamps on the front resonator (that I had cut and replaced with a pipe) has been hitting the bottom of the car - I missed it when I was under it the last time, but you could clearly see it had been making contact with the bottom of the car. They did rotate that for me so it should be resolved.

Ill have to go back next week to have the breather hose and clamps replaced and then that'll be monitored for the valve cover gasket to get replaced. It could be a while just because of my schedule.

They did have a tech there with a Type R that did check over the car and explained it all to me and it all made sense for the most part. He seemed more knowledgeable than the original tech that sent that video. He did take one of the coil packs off and showed how its not leaking.. All of the oil on top of the motor and on the sides is most likely from that breather. fingers crossed.

But ill know soon about the vibration because its going to rain here starting tomorrow and over the next few days.
That’s great, man! Sounds like you might have the answer to the vibration! 🤞

As far as the misfire goes, I’m not sure there’s such thing as a “normal” misfire. If those codes came up during one of the vibration sessions, it might be possible that the knock sensor mistook the noise and vibration for misfiring.

Glad the spark plug tube seals aren’t leaking. You will probably need the gasket replaced though. The oil pooling at the bottom of the valve cover didn’t all come from that breather hose. They should take care of it on warranty though, I think it’s pretty common with these plastic valve covers. Can’t hurt to try the hose/clamp fix first though.

Please keep us updated on the rain situation!
 

marcusm86

Senior Member
First Name
Marcus
Joined
Dec 20, 2025
Threads
4
Messages
248
Reaction score
198
Location
Missouri
Vehicle(s)
2025 Civic Type-R
Theres a kit for the breather that ive been told is better than the OEM one - "MDR FL5/DE5 Honda/Acura Valve Cover Breather Silicone Hose Kit"
Also, if you cant find the leak and dont want to pay someone else $150 to find it just get a black light and some UV dye (for oil) from amazon or something. Depending on how bad it leaking will depend on how long you wanna wait to check it. Should be pretty obvious if you catch it before it gets blown around too much.

Spark plugs are a wear item.. im guessing they meant "normal misfire" as in you need plugs or something maybe?.. idk what kind of miles you got on it or anything

If you havent done anything to the electrical system in the car (wired in any extra crap) then they should be checking those codes for you.. at least the electrical one

i wouldnt be surprised if it was just that exaust clamp for the rattle man..

good luck!
Sponsored

 
 







Top