• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

2022 SI vs 2020 SI?

Minder13

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lifted 2006 Toyota RAV4
I'm currently shopping for a new car, and I'm pretty confident at this point that it's going to either be a 10th or 11th gen si. I like the way the 10th gen looks better, especially with the aftermarket the 10th gen already has built up, but the 11th gen seems to be a better car stock in the driving aspects with the better flywheel, rev-matching, and powerband. I'm also a little hesitant about buying the first year of a generation. Does anyone have any experience with either or both of these cars or opinions that they'd be willing to share with me?
Sponsored

_1slowsi_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 SGP Si
if you care about having heated seats get the 10th gen. The Canadian spec 11th gen si has a lot more bells and whistles compared to what the u.s got. i think the refresh(2-3 years) of the 11th gen si will get what the Canadians got.

ebhaynz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si 2017
I have the first year of 10th Gen, I love the car but I'll list my biggest cons and pros:
Cons:
1. My biggest complaint is the road noise, unless I'm on a newly paved road it's pretty loud.
2. Stock stereo power/sound output is pathetic, literally sounds like an AM radio. If this was my daily driver I'd spend the $$ to add a mini amp and replace at least the front door speakers and the worthless $10 sub in the back.
3. Stock tires are just OK, I don't trust them to save my ass if I get in a really close call.
4. I've had some squeaks coming from beneath the steering wheel and the glove compartment.
5. Sport mode is a gimmick imho.
6. I hate sedans but this fell into my lap. However I'll never buy another sedan again.
Pros:
1. One of the best stick shift driving experiences I've ever had.
2. It's so much better to have a car like this with performance/power to easily go up hills, around corners, etc.
3. For me, the seats are fantastic.
4. Easy maintenance. I've only had to change battery once + the oil twice a year and have had ZERO other problems.
5. Cars aren't cheap at all anymore but at least this holds it's value much better than other cars.
Overall rank: 8/10.
Recommendation:
The Si is a great car, one of the best Civic's ever. However, the loud road noise really is unacceptable. When I get on the highway I just shake my head "never again". I believe the 11th Gen has loud road noise as well. If this doesn't bother you then it may be the car for you.

VicVal01

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe
If you care about performance, look at Motortrend’s comparison of the 11th si vs 10th. 10th outperforms it in pretty much every category. Looks are obviously subjective, but its cool that you now have sporty, boy-racer looking si or a more modern, mature (almost german looking?) si. Something for everyone. 11th loses some practicality but also gains some cool stuff like rev match and the lighter fly wheel, less rev hang (but still there). I’d say if you wanted a grown up car that will make everyday commutes fun, get the 11th. If you want a car for modding that you might occasionally track or have spirited canyon runs in, 10th gen coupe all the way.

OP
OP

Minder13

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lifted 2006 Toyota RAV4
I have the first year of 10th Gen, I love the car but I'll list my biggest cons and pros:
Cons:
1. My biggest complaint is the road noise, unless I'm on a newly paved road it's pretty loud.
2. Stock stereo power/sound output is pathetic, literally sounds like an AM radio. If this was my daily driver I'd spend the $$ to add a mini amp and replace at least the front door speakers and the worthless $10 sub in the back.
3. Stock tires are just OK, I don't trust them to save my ass if I get in a really close call.
4. I've had some squeaks coming from beneath the steering wheel and the glove compartment.
5. Sport mode is a gimmick imho.
6. I hate sedans but this fell into my lap. However I'll never buy another sedan again.
Pros:
1. One of the best stick shift driving experiences I've ever had.
2. It's so much better to have a car like this with performance/power to easily go up hills, around corners, etc.
3. For me, the seats are fantastic.
4. Easy maintenance. I've only had to change battery once + the oil twice a year and have had ZERO other problems.
5. Cars aren't cheap at all anymore but at least this holds it's value much better than other cars.
Overall rank: 8/10.
Recommendation:
The Si is a great car, one of the best Civic's ever. However, the loud road noise really is unacceptable. When I get on the highway I just shake my head "never again". I believe the 11th Gen has loud road noise as well. If this doesn't bother you then it may be the car for you.
So I currently drive a wrangler with a soft top and mud tires. So I think it's literally impossible to have worse road noise ?. I've also test driven a 2020 and they must have upgraded the sound system from your year because I thought the sound system was great. How many miles do you have on your 10th gen?

22-Si

First Name
Utku
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Si
I have the 11th gen si. It's my first si and I have never tried the 10th gen so I don't have a say on that generation. However, regarding the 11th gen, I think the interior quality is pretty good, the car is also handsome in my opinion, it doesn't have the sex appeal of a 10th gen coupe(well, for me at least), I took it to the backroads near where I live and I had no issue with the car. The suspension is sporty, and it's not extremely stiff and uncomfortable on the highway. The only issue with the suspension is that since it does not have electronic dampers when I am on the highway going over small bumps, tiny bumps, the car does move up and down, so it might be uncomfortable for you and/or your passengers, it's fun for me. In sport mode, the car really does feel sportier, as for the rev-match feature I adore it. This car is my first ever manual so I can't yet heel and toe downshift, and the feature helps me out a lot. The bose sound system is also pretty good in my opinion considering it's a sporty "economy car." If you have access to it, I recommend you take one for a test drive.

Spike Spiegel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Aegean Blue Civic Si coupe, 2008 Tundra Limited, 2011 Mazdaspeed 3 (Dead engine), Horse Trailer, Quarter Horse (Dyno=1 HP)
If you care about performance, look at Motortrend’s comparison of the 11th si vs 10th. 10th outperforms it in pretty much every category. Looks are obviously subjective, but its cool that you now have sporty, boy-racer looking si or a more modern, mature (almost german looking?) si. Something for everyone. 11th loses some practicality but also gains some cool stuff like rev match and the lighter fly wheel, less rev hang (but still there). I’d say if you wanted a grown up car that will make everyday commutes fun, get the 11th. If you want a car for modding that you might occasionally track or have spirited canyon runs in, 10th gen coupe all the way.
I think there is the typical flavor of the month thing going on with reviews of the new car. This is something the auto media does ad nauseam; where a great car 3 years ago is all of the sudden old and dated as soon as the newer model comes out.

With that said I think it's pretty clear the new car is amazing. The 10th Gen was amazing too. I would wager the 11th gen is better in many ways compared to the X gen, but definitely not all ways.

I really like the 10th Gen heated seats, fog lights, adaptive dampers and more interesting body styles. But I'd kill for the new Bose sound system and lack of rev hang.

Honestly the OP would be happy with either generation of Si.

zeroptzero

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Si, 2022 Subaru WRX
I think there is the typical flavor of the month thing going on with reviews of the new car. This is something the auto media does ad nauseam; where a great car 3 years ago is all of the sudden old and dated as soon as the newer model comes out.

With that said I think it's pretty clear the new car is amazing. The 10th Gen was amazing too. I would wager the 11th gen is better in many ways compared to the X gen, but definitely not all ways.

I really like the 10th Gen heated seats, fog lights, adaptive dampers and more interesting body styles. But I'd kill for the new Bose sound system and lack of rev hang.

Honestly the OP would be happy with either generation of Si.
I would have taken a 10th gen Si if I could have located one when I was looking ahead of the 11th gen purchase. I mainly wanted the adaptive dampers. I didn't mind the styling of the 10th gen, and I actually like the rear spoiler on the 10th gen Si.

The Bose sound system isn't as good as one might think, it is decent, and the little Bose symbols look cute lol, I do like the system but I was expecting it to be much better than it is. I am not sure if it is any better or more powerful than the system that was on my 2016 Touring Coupe. I'm not complaining about it as there was no extra cost for it, but I don't think it is anything out of the ordinary.

Rev Hang is crazy on my 2022 Si, I actually get revs increasing while I'm shifting in some situations. Rev hang doesn't bother me a huge amount but just to be clear that rev hang has not been eliminated on the new Si.

Last edited:

Spike Spiegel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Aegean Blue Civic Si coupe, 2008 Tundra Limited, 2011 Mazdaspeed 3 (Dead engine), Horse Trailer, Quarter Horse (Dyno=1 HP)
Rev Hang is crazy on my 2022 Si, I actually get revs increasing while I'm shifting in some situations. Rev hang doesn't bother me a huge amount but just to be clear that rev hang has not been eliminated on the new Si.
Wasn't aware of that but goes to my point... many reviewers claimed the rev hang was almost gone in the newer car. At least a few of them said the Bose sounded great too.

Enjoy the new car. A few small things aside both of these Si's are a total blast to drive.

zeroptzero

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wasn't aware of that but goes to my point... many reviewers claimed the rev hang was almost gone in the newer car. At least a few of them said the Bose sounded great too.

Enjoy the new car. A few small things aside both of these Si's are a total blast to drive.
Yeah, I seen one youtube video where they did a side by side of the rev hang issue on the tachometers of both models and they were pretty much identical. It was supposed to be reduced by the lighter flywheel but it did not eliminate it IMO. It doesn't bother me either way though, some people don't like it much.

The Bose system is nice, just not as good as I expected by all of fuss that was made about it, and with all of the speakers included in the system. I wish it had more equalizer settings to play with, the simple base, treble, balance, fader isn't enough IMO. I am glad to have it at no extra cost, but I would not pay for it if it was an option. The 10th gen system seems to be almost as good to me based on the 10th gen Civic Touring I had.

sackofcheese

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic SI, 1994 Miata (track toy)
Granted, I didn't own a 10th gen Si but I have driven them a bunch. To me personally you really can't go wrong either way. I prefer the more restrained look of the 11th gen, but a lot of people like the more overstyled 10th gen (Why Honda put fake grills on the rear bumper is beyond me) Also IMO the adaptive dampers are pretty useless on the 10th gen. Not soft enough in normal, and not firm enough in sport to really make a difference. Having heated seats would be nice, but I personally would rather have a better stereo, which the 11th does. Also with how jacked up the current used car market is, I got my 2022 Si OTD for less than every used 10th gen sedan for sale near me was listed at.

zeroptzero

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Granted, I didn't own a 10th gen Si but I have driven them a bunch. To me personally you really can't go wrong either way. I prefer the more restrained look of the 11th gen, but a lot of people like the more overstyled 10th gen (Why Honda put fake grills on the rear bumper is beyond me) Also IMO the adaptive dampers are pretty useless on the 10th gen. Not soft enough in normal, and not firm enough in sport to really make a difference. Having heated seats would be nice, but I personally would rather have a better stereo, which the 11th does. Also with how jacked up the current used car market is, I got my 2022 Si OTD for less than every used 10th gen sedan for sale near me was listed at.
I wanted that 10th gen adaptive suspension so bad, but I haven't found many people that actually liked it ? I thought the 2022 Si would come with adaptive suspension and I was a bit disappointed when I found out that it did not have it But I was pleasantly surprised by the handling of the 11th gen Si and I never thought about the adaptive suspension again.

VicVal01

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Yeah, I seen one youtube video where they did a side by side of the rev hang issue on the tachometers of both models and they were pretty much identical. It was supposed to be reduced by the lighter flywheel but it did not eliminate it IMO. It doesn't bother me either way though, some people don't like it much.

The Bose system is nice, just not as good as I expected by all of fuss that was made about it, and with all of the speakers included in the system. I wish it had more equalizer settings to play with, the simple base, treble, balance, fader isn't enough IMO. I am glad to have it at no extra cost, but I would not pay for it if it was an option. The 10th gen system seems to be almost as good to me based on the 10th gen Civic Touring I had.
The rev hang will bever be completely gone because Honda purposely tuned it that way. They’ve actually kinda solved the carbon buildup issue that DI engines have by keeping the revs up so that the amount of gas in the PCV gets burnt up a bit more. Thus reducing the carbon buildup. So yea, they probably will never completely eliminate rev hang from their DI engines.

zeroptzero

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The rev hang will bever be completely gone because Honda purposely tuned it that way. They’ve actually kinda solved the carbon buildup issue that DI engines have by keeping the revs up so that the amount of gas in the PCV gets burnt up a bit more. Thus reducing the carbon buildup. So yea, they probably will never completely eliminate rev hang from their DI engines.
I believe it. It really never bothers me much, you just hear a lot of youtube reviewers complaining about it.
Sponsored