• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Accord 1.5T vs 2022 Civic Sport/EX

Jay4Pay

First Name
Jayden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Accord Sport
I’m currenty an owner of a 2020 Accord Sport 1.5T and I’m looking to replace it with the Civic Sport or the Civic EX because they’ll be slightly cheaper and I don’t need the extra space of the Accord. I’m leaning more towards the Sport because of it’s looks but the value and features of the EX can’t be overlooked. What’s concerning is that both are slower than the 1.5T Accord, the new Civics are somehow way slower compared to it’s predecessor and MotorTrend has gotten 9.2 Sec 0-60 for the Sport model and that’s 2 full secs slower than the Accord. I love the look of the Sport, but 9.2 secs to 60 is too underwhelming for me considering the old one was .6 secs faster. So my questions are, 2022 EX or 2022 Sport? and Are either worth upgrading from the Accord?
Sponsored

ryannel2003

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Honda Civic Hatchback (Sport Touring)
I've had multiple 1.5 Accord's and now have a 22 ST Hatch with the 1.5. Do yourself a favor and get the EX and add the sport wheels if you like. It's a significant power upgrade versus the regular 2.0.

Saywhaat04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
nothing
I've had multiple 1.5 Accord's and now have a 22 ST Hatch with the 1.5. Do yourself a favor and get the EX and add the sport wheels if you like. It's a significant power upgrade versus the regular 2.0.
Bingo. Skip the sport...get the EX and buy some rims.

OP
OP

Jay4Pay

First Name
Jayden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Accord Sport
0.6 different is that important?
Yes. My current car does 7.2 to sixty, the new Civic does 9.2, the Accord 1.5T feels underpowered at times so that would be even worse. The previous gen’s Civic 8.6 sec sprint would’ve been fine but anything that has “Sport” on it shouldn’t be that slow especially with how good it looks. The 1.5T and 2.0 N/A trims are both slower this year, hopefully not the Type R as well considering the Si will likely be slower.

OP
OP

Jay4Pay

First Name
Jayden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Accord Sport
I think this may be the route I go. I’m still scratching my head as how the 1.5T from this gen with more horsepower is significantly slower. Same thing with the 2.0L, it’s slower.

RobbJK

First Name
Robb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Coupe
I think this may be the route I go. I’m still scratching my head as how the 1.5T from this gen with more horsepower is significantly slower. Same thing with the 2.0L, it’s slower.
Advertised versus actual horsepower. The 10th gens 1.5T were under rated by a fair margin with CVT models dyno'd making close to 200hp at the crank (and 180+ at the wheels) while the 11th gens dyno much much closer to their advertised 180hp (therefore much less at the wheels) plus the added weight of this new gen. The 2.0L models it simply comes down to weight gain, and the sport in particular will suffer further from having those huge 18" wheels it has to turn.

The thing is... the changes that Honda made to the turbo and gearing to improve power delivery and driveability were also to help squeeze a few more MPGs out of the civic. But based on what I've read here about people's average fuel mileage, they're not getting any better (and in some cases worse) than my 10th gen civics. The changes were probably needed because mpg dropped with the weight gain of the 11th gen, so in order to keep those numbers up, performance had to suffer.

OP
OP

Jay4Pay

First Name
Jayden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Accord Sport
Advertised versus actual horsepower. The 10th gens 1.5T were under rated by a fair margin with CVT models dyno'd making close to 200hp at the crank (and 180+ at the wheels) while the 11th gens dyno much much closer to their advertised 180hp (therefore much less at the wheels) plus the added weight of this new gen. The 2.0L models it simply comes down to weight gain, and the sport in particular will suffer further from having those huge 18" wheels it has to turn.

The thing is... the changes that Honda made to the turbo and gearing to improve power delivery and driveability were also to help squeeze a few more MPGs out of the civic. But based on what I've read here about people's average fuel mileage, they're not getting any better (and in some cases worse) than my 10th gen civics. The changes were probably needed because mpg dropped with the weight gain of the 11th gen, so in order to keep those numbers up, performance had to suffer.
Honda has made some weird decisions with this Generation of Civic. First they “upgrade” the 1.5T with slightly more power to “improve performance” but made it slower then they take 5 horsepower from the Si. I hope they don’t screw up the Type-R.
Sponsored