• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Brake squeal (or something else?)

VPMotors

First Name
Vivek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R, 2002 Honda CR-V
Hey guys,

Just moved to Arizona last week. Drove the Type R all the way from Maine to Arizona. Ever since I've arrived in Arizona, my car has been squealing and its coming from the front. I thought it might be rocks stuck in between the dust shield and the rotor, but the thing is that the car only squeals when the brakes are hot. It never did that before. It used to squeal when the brakes were cold for about 2-3 minutes after the start of a drive, but not after, which is normal behavior for the Brembos from what I've heard. Now it's the opposite. I drive for 10-15 miles, the brakes get hot, and the car starts squealing. That's not just when I apply the brakes too; it happens when I brake or if I am rolling slowly in traffic. Car has done 14.5 k miles now, fast approaching 15k miles, and the brakes don't look worn either. I am going to take the wheels out and check for rocks (will update the same here for anyone facing the same issue), but the fact that it's not constant (especially when the brakes are cold), and increases when the brakes reach operating temperature is what's worrying me. Any suggestions? Have you faced a similar issue? Please suggest. Thanks.
Sponsored

OP
OP
VPMotors

VPMotors

First Name
Vivek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Attaching a video to show my issue. Notice how the squeal is present when I'm rolling and not touching the brakes. Gets worse when I brake in the end.

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
With Arizona being warmer and MUCH drier than Maine, it makes me think it’s possibly just dust in the air building up (on top of brake dust) to cause the squeaking. When you take your wheels off, I’d try cleaning the brakes (with brake cleaner) and see if that helps.

bbrunty15

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Accord, 2023 FL5 Civic Type R R-03525
I have had this happen a small handful of times. Once I even pulled over to inspect. It went away after I pulled over and gave a look to the brake assembly. I attributed this to small rocks or debris getting caught. My thinking was maybe with the front air duct feeding cool air to the brakes the likelihood of debris getting in there could be higher. That's just a thought. I'll be watching this post to see what is found.

OP
OP
VPMotors

VPMotors

First Name
Vivek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have had this happen a small handful of times. Once I even pulled over to inspect. It went away after I pulled over and gave a look to the brake assembly. I attributed this to small rocks or debris getting caught. My thinking was maybe with the front air duct feeding cool air to the brakes the likelihood of debris getting in there could be higher. That's just a thought. I'll be watching this post to see what is found.
I'm hoping it's rocks/debris, but confused as to why it squeals only when it gets hot. My guess is that the rocks are small and roll freely in the dust shield and only when the brake rotors get hot and expand, they get caught. Not looking forward to uneven pad wear or something else more serious. Will take the wheels off during the weekend and will update.

matttheazn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
any update on this? Replaced my rear pads at 9k and I am having the same issue when the brakes are warm.

OP
OP
VPMotors

VPMotors

First Name
Vivek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Update: Dealership replaced my front rotors, all 4 pads, and resurfaced the rear rotors for free. They called American Honda to inform them of the situation and as a one time goodwill they did it for free. Car doesn't squeal at all!
Sponsored