• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Care & Maintenance of PPF & Tint ?

Rad Ray

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
My first car had front PPF applied back in 2003. The shop said to treat it just as I would the regular paint, but to use only non-abrasive wax. It lasted forever. My FL5 recently had a high-quality PPF applied and the glass tinted. What are the best ways to care for both? THANKS!
Sponsored

OP
OP
Rad Ray

Rad Ray

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
Depends on the film used for both tint and PPF. Ask the installer to be sure. Some PPF by Suntek has ceramic coating properties built in. Certain types of tint can take ammonia cleaners, some can’t. Best bet is ask your installer to do it right. Without knowing what brand and types of film used, no one here can really help.
Many thanks for the heads up! The window tint is Xpel Prime XR-Plus and the PPF is Xpel Ultimate Plus. Can the PPF be coated with a good ceramic and how are smudges (little kids fingers and dogs’ noses) best removed from the tint?

OP
OP
Rad Ray

Rad Ray

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
The Xpel films are top of the line. Ultimate Plus can be treated like normal paint- do not polish it, due to abrasives, but sealants, waxes or even coatings can be applied to it. Treat it like you do your paint, just no polishing. Bug guts can be removed with any quick detail spray; standard wash and whatever toppers you want to use to enhance shine.

The window tint is fair game, too. Some of the cheaper films will discolor from certain cleaners, but XR Plus is solid. I’d suggest using Invisible Glass or Spray Away for really dirty windows, or just a microfiber with water for maintenance cleaning.
GREAT! Thanks for the info. Very helpful.

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Good to know! I’m looking to get Xpel ppf and tint soon myself.

OP
OP
Rad Ray

Rad Ray

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
It looks good! I would recommend it. Some say it’s a waste but I think it helps if nothing else with cleaning the car.

B8DDCA20-231F-403C-8683-0D78B9D35058.jpeg
Just spoke with installers who echoed pigfacedalarm’s recommendations. Also recommended using Xpel’s Boost spray to “refresh” the PPF and to avoid any wax with abrasives and/or coloring, including pure carnauba which can yellow the film over time. Window tint, especially for Florida, was a good choice; just have to keep car in the sun a while longer before lowering windows.

jchall30

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
Just spoke with installers who echoed pigfacedalarm’s recommendations. Also recommended using Xpel’s Boost spray to “refresh” the PPF and to avoid any wax with abrasives and/or coloring, including pure carnauba which can yellow the film over time. Window tint, especially for Florida, was a good choice; just have to keep car in the sun a while longer before lowering windows.
Yes the boost spray helps a lot. They gave me a couple bottles when I picked up the car. Keeps it extra glossy looking as well. Easy to apply. Just apply and buff off after a minute or two.

OP
OP
Rad Ray

Rad Ray

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
Anyone have FL5 experience with ClearPlex Windshield Protection Film? Local installation is $600 and may require a bit more skill than PPF. However, one of their websites (https://madico.com/dealers/automotive/windshield-protection/clearplex-readyfit) says, "No installation training is required." Some customers claim it has saved them thousands in repair costs, while others have said it's not totally transparent (e.g., "rainbows"), which may be related to installer's skills. If it's truly distortion free, transparent, able able to withstand washer fluids, bug guts, long periods wiping during a storm, light snow removal, small flying debris, and not interfere with the forward-facing camera etc., then it might well be worth the relatively high cost. Might also be helpful in track environments.
Sponsored