• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Civic Si (L15CA) Reliability

OP
OP
MrAnd3rS0n

MrAnd3rS0n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Integra Type S
Blew up the first 2023 Acura Integra! Motor Tear Down:
Saw that one too lol

He mentioned something about maybe they’re using the rod from the 10 gen hatch (which are supposedly weaker). If that’s true, why would they put weaker components in the engine that makes more power?
Sponsored

Village911

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 #839
Saw that one too lol

He mentioned something about maybe they’re using the rod from the 10 gen hatch (which are supposedly weaker). If that’s true, why would they put weaker components in the engine that makes more power?
I just don't think these motors are meant to be performance-tuned... Maybe use stronger rods/pistons...? I mean, I think it's better to just K-swap the whole thing

alhounos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Si - Sold, Tesla Model 3
The L15 is a fantastic engine if left stock. Good power, great economy, very reliable.

If you want to tune it, keep it under ~270hp or so. Any more than that and you're pushing the limits of the transmission as well as the engine.

Contrary to what most online tough guys seem to think, Honda doesn't "owe" us an engine that is capable of 450hp on stock internals. If you want big power get some BMW turbo 6 or a V8.

sackofcheese

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic SI, 1994 Miata (track toy)
Saw that one too lol

If they are the weaker rods its almost guaranteed due to cost savings. If the standard 1.5T rods meet the Honda durability requirements at the stock power level in the Si, Its really hard to convince the corporate bean counters to pay for a more expensive rod put in. Even if its only $0.10/rod saved that's still $0.40/engine in cost savings. Add that up over a model life cycle and you're saving in the close to 6 figure range by just changing one small "cheap" part.

DYI01

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Si, 2019 Nissan Titan, 2017 Yamaha FZ10
It's already a known fact that the rods in the L15CA are not the same as the rods in any of the 10th gen L15 motors. The rod bearing journal is about 4mm wider and also larger in diameter.

OP
OP
MrAnd3rS0n

MrAnd3rS0n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Integra Type S
It's already a known fact that the rods in the L15CA are not the same as the rods in any of the 10th gen L15 motors. The rod bearing journal is about 4mm wider and also larger in diameter.
Yeah, but do we know the difference other than the rod bearing journal, or was that it?

11thgensiguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 si 2000 ex
It will be fine stock.

I don't believe it's accurate to say ososik had some crappy tune and doesn't know what he's doing though, even if there was a mistake made at some point.

He bought the car with full intentions and acceptance of blowing it up and documenting the build for us. He's going with a street build rather a track build, which is cool becuase we've already seen his 10th gen which iirc makes something near the 800's?

He's contributing a case study and doing the community a good service with this build. He is a car guy to the core, his attitude and sportsmanship about it speaks volumes.

People are reading into the 11th gen is weaker comment too much, I don't think he was intending to bash on the car. He was pushing out almost 75% power increase compared to factory. If you push most vehicles that much, you should be fully expecting something to fail that's just the name of the game. I'm pretty sure he exceeded the limits that's considered safe even for the 10th gen civics, it just failed sooner than expected.

Keep it stock of you want, theres nothing wrong with that, but the car is likely fine even with modest bolt on's and a tune.

Just know if you want to get serious about any build on any vehicle, and you wanna drop in big turbos put out 30 pounds of boost, and run aggressive tunes you have to pay to play. It doesn't make someone stupid, or they don't know what their doing, it's apart of the journey. For all we know, he might blow another motor all over again. If I were a gambling man, I'd wager he's fully aware of that possibility.

That being said, every civic ever has ended up with a crazy amount of aftermarket support. I wouldn't be surprised if one day there is enough experience and development for the 10th and 11th gen civics that people will start to appreciate the car more. At the end of the day the car is still a little 4 banger and relatively easier to work with, we just need a variety of more affordable parts and options to compliment it.

Curious to see what path he chooses for the rebuild

OsosikMedia

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Si, 2017 Civic SI x2
It will be fine stock.

I don't believe it's accurate to say ososik had some crappy tune and doesn't know what he's doing though, even if there was a mistake made at some point.

He bought the car with full intentions and acceptance of blowing it up and documenting the build for us. He's going with a street build rather a track build, which is cool becuase we've already seen his 10th gen which iirc makes something near the 800's?

He's contributing a case study and doing the community a good service with this build. He is a car guy to the core, his attitude and sportsmanship about it speaks volumes.

People are reading into the 11th gen is weaker comment too much, I don't think he was intending to bash on the car. He was pushing out almost 75% power increase compared to factory. If you push most vehicles that much, you should be fully expecting something to fail that's just the name of the game. I'm pretty sure he exceeded the limits that's considered safe even for the 10th gen civics, it just failed sooner than expected.

Keep it stock of you want, theres nothing wrong with that, but the car is likely fine even with modest bolt on's and a tune.

Just know if you want to get serious about any build on any vehicle, and you wanna drop in big turbos put out 30 pounds of boost, and run aggressive tunes you have to pay to play. It doesn't make someone stupid, or they don't know what their doing, it's apart of the journey. For all we know, he might blow another motor all over again. If I were a gambling man, I'd wager he's fully aware of that possibility.

That being said, every civic ever has ended up with a crazy amount of aftermarket support. I wouldn't be surprised if one day there is enough experience and development for the 10th and 11th gen civics that people will start to appreciate the car more. At the end of the day the car is still a little 4 banger and relatively easier to work with, we just need a variety of more affordable parts and options to compliment it.

Curious to see what path he chooses for the rebuild
Pretty much sums it up. I can tell you've seen multiple videos, so thank you for watching! I'll be posting soon, which direction we are going. I think it will kind of surprise everyone. lol

Last edited:

OP
OP
MrAnd3rS0n

MrAnd3rS0n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Integra Type S
Pretty much sums it up. I can tell you've multiple videos, so thank you for watching! I'll be posting soon which direction we are going and I think it will kind of surprise everyone. lol
Our lord and savior has spoken. Looking forward to seeing what you have going on.

Super_wooke

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic si
Does anyone here know who Ososik is lol. He’s built some pretty damn fast L15’s, so I’d listen to him about what he thinks.
[/QUOTE
He has an over inflated number on Hondatas church dyno. He never made any serious power without NOS. When it comes to the L15 EMan is the man. Made 491 WHP on E60.
Sponsored