• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Don’t Pay Markups

TimeRacer

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Prelude
I have to appreciate that prior to the pandemic, a once in a lifetime (hopefully) event, the US market norm was invoice to MSRP for most cars as dealers make money from ~$2000 (manufacturer incentives) below invoice and up and they don't want a car to sit on their lot for even 30 days and why pitting dealers against each other made such a difference as it was more time value of the space on the car lots. Now, with a few years dealing with this once in a lifetime event constraining production and supply, the mentality shifts to 'blow dealerships up!', 'make laws for MSRP!' demanding to pay more as the market returns back to normal. It's remarkable how short sighted we all are and how much the 'now' means to people and how willing they are to go out of their way to mandate themselves paying more in the future because it seems convenient for them now.
Sponsored

CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R, LS Swapped FC3S
Umm. MSRP was rare on the FK8 in 2017. It’s wasn’t until 2018/2019 before some people got it for that.

TimeRacer

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Prelude
Umm. MSRP was rare on the FK8 in 2017. It’s wasn’t until 2018/2019 before some people got it for that.
First adopter tax but overall it wasn't that difficult, it's why you have a thread with probably a hundred posts (many more that never posted) saying they got their FK8 for MSRP. You can't even find a base Civic without a markup in numerous markets right now but the point is that's all temporary. People are pushing for across the board mandates for MSRP by law or by sales program as standard operating practice for all cars going forward. Pushing for methods to make most cars more expensive to buy once the supply/demand curve evens out again.

fredzy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sienna, GR86, FL5
The cynical part of me doesn't think it'll ever go back to "normal" as even the nice-guy dealers have a taste for blood now. But the practical me reminds that things are better for the OEMs when they make a ton of cars and give dealers a big inventory to sit on. Similar profit per unit regardless for the OEM, but more overall vehicles sold which is better for everybody. More options, test drives, less waiting = happier customers. So if the OEMs can manage it, yes it will return to the way it was.

The question is how long? Hard to imagine any sooner than 2 years. When the day comes and they have an allocation for me and there is no end in sight.. I doubt I'm going to be able to turn it down. Especially if MSRP+markup is below a certain number I have in mind.

First Name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Civic Type R, '20 Civic Si Coupe
There's a very old saying in the car business, "there's an ass for every seat." This car could be made in one color of doodoo brown with green and pink interior, and you can bet it would be marked up and suckers will be paying well over MSRP. It happens all the time. Consider this, Honda just released a few days ago that it is cutting their forecast for vehicle sales by 30 percent. This does not bold well for those seeking a "deal" on the Type R. You either will be paying well over sticker for one if you want one, or you'll be at Cars & Coffee taking pics of them.

Just to reiterate.
Sponsored