MainMind
Member
- Thread starter
- #1
Hi all,
Looking for experience from other FL5 owners running Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 (265/30ZR19 93Y, OEM size) on track.
Context: track days at Circuito de Navarra (Spain), which runs clockwise, so right-handers dominate and the front-left is the loaded outside tyre most of the lap. Car otherwise stock suspension and alignment, Ferodo DS2500 pads.
Previous day: a set of Cup 2s ended up with clearly faster wear on the centre/inner-centre rib. I suspect I ran them over-pressure that day (I didn't bleed hot pressures closely), so I moved them to the rear.
This time I fitted a new pair on the front and monitored pressures closely every session:
Note: this is an uncalibrated consumer thermal camera measuring surface temperature, so treat the absolute values as a rough reference only. What I'm relying on is the difference between zones and between tyres, taken with the same camera, method and timing. Front tyres, second session (approx.):
Result: wear is much milder than last time, but I can still see the same pattern starting: the rib next to the inner groove (the softer, wet-oriented compound on the Cup 2) is cleaner and more worn than the rest, and it looks a bit more pronounced on the FL.
Questions:
Thanks!
Looking for experience from other FL5 owners running Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 (265/30ZR19 93Y, OEM size) on track.
Context: track days at Circuito de Navarra (Spain), which runs clockwise, so right-handers dominate and the front-left is the loaded outside tyre most of the lap. Car otherwise stock suspension and alignment, Ferodo DS2500 pads.
Previous day: a set of Cup 2s ended up with clearly faster wear on the centre/inner-centre rib. I suspect I ran them over-pressure that day (I didn't bleed hot pressures closely), so I moved them to the rear.
This time I fitted a new pair on the front and monitored pressures closely every session:
- Cold start (in the shade): 2.2 bar F / 2.1 bar R
- Hot, measured within 2 min of stopping: 2.45–2.5 bar F / 2.3–2.4 bar R (Michelin's window is 2.3–2.7 hot)
- Ambient 26–31 °C
Note: this is an uncalibrated consumer thermal camera measuring surface temperature, so treat the absolute values as a rough reference only. What I'm relying on is the difference between zones and between tyres, taken with the same camera, method and timing. Front tyres, second session (approx.):
- FL: inner ~88 °C / centre ~73 °C / outer ~72 °C
- FR: inner ~81 °C / centre ~71 °C / outer ~67 °C
Result: wear is much milder than last time, but I can still see the same pattern starting: the rib next to the inner groove (the softer, wet-oriented compound on the Cup 2) is cleaner and more worn than the rest, and it looks a bit more pronounced on the FL.
Questions:
- Has anyone seen this inner-centre rib wear on Cup 2 with an FL5? Is it typical for this tyre on this car?
- Would you put it down to the track (clockwise, lots of loaded right-handers) or is it a sign to check alignment, e.g. too much static negative camber or toe for this pace, or a left/right difference within Honda's factory tolerance?
- For those who've had an FL5 aligned for track use, what front camber and toe are you running on Cup 2s, and did it even out the wear?
Thanks!