• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Hondata...Flashpro... +6 PSI ... my ongoing review

Civicster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T MT
I think the clutch should be OK with the +6. Turn it up to +9 and well that's a different story. I guess it boils down to how fast is "fast enough" for you.

For me, the +6 more or less hits the sweet spot. Drives close to stock if I take it easy and it feels more like a small V6 when I get on it. Could my car be tuned to go faster? Sure. I've thought about loading that 22psi tune I was playing around with but I'm just not not sure it's worth the extra risk and stress.
Oh no, I totally agree the +6 is my sweet spot in the MT. I believe MT will pull and little harder in a sense compared to the CVT. I just should stop worrying about clutches and just drive to have fun when I want to like you do from time to time. It it fails, then just get upgrade to like FX350 clutchmasters or something.
Sponsored

Civicster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T MT
I passed an Impreza the other day in 3rd gear literally in a blink of an eye. The power is definitely there beyond 3,000 rpms when you need it

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
No doubt. Under 3,000 rpm, throttle response and power do seem a bit better still than stock. At around 3,500 rpm it really starts to take off. Hit 4,000-5,500 rpm and it starts going into "holy shit" mode. :drive::thumbsup::bow:It's very easy to give it some gas than look at the speedometer and realize you're going 10-15 mph faster than you expected.

For anyone on the fence about a tune check out this video. It's been around a while but fast forward to the 5 minute mark. After Jason stops laughing after some acceleration, watch the speedo on the 20-60 mph rolling run. Those numbers go up fast. It was seeing that run that made me decide to get a tune.

Last edited:

Civicster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T MT
No doubt. Under 3,000 rpm, throttle response and power do seem a bit better still than stock. At around 3,500 rpm it really starts to take off. Hit 4,000-5,500 rpm and it starts going into "holy shit" mode. :drive::thumbsup::bow:It's very easy to give it some gas than look at the speedometer and realize you're going 10-15 mph faster than you expected.

For anyone on the fence about a tune check out this video. It's been around a while but fast forward to the 5 minute mark. After Jason stops laughing after some acceleration, watch the speedo on the 20-60 mph rolling run. Those numbers go up fast. It was seeing that run that made me decide to get a tune.

I watched many videos before deciding myself. Like you said, for someone who just wants to add a little more power. The FP is the way to go in my opinion. My car will flat out scoot. Just hearing about the increase gains doesn't do it justice until you actually get behind the wheel.

:dance:

Dassem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Touring
Honestly, suspension is the way to go. Better tires and a bigger rear sway bar will transform the handling and make it more fun.
Yeah..I think your right about the suspension piece. The handling and the stance would fit well with my new tune. Now to figure out which kind to get :)

Cdupree87

Chris Dupree
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Hey, guys. I'm new to the forum and this is actually my first post to a thread. I'm also new to mods and came seeking advice. I've had my 2018 Sport Touring for about a month. I love it, but would be nice to get more out of it power-wise. I was looking into the Flashpro. Is it a good place to start? Will it be safe for a CVT? And without any other mods so far?

Two Step Performance

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twostepperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R
Hey, guys. I'm new to the forum and this is actually my first post to a thread. I'm also new to mods and came seeking advice. I've had my 2018 Sport Touring for about a month. I love it, but would be nice to get more out of it power-wise. I was looking into the Flashpro. Is it a good place to start? Will it be safe for a CVT? And without any other mods so far?
Welcome to the site. The base maps are very safe for the CVT. A flash tuner is by far the best bang for your buck mod for the 1.5T Civics.

Dassem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Touring
Welcome :)

I just had the Flashpro done on my 2017 Sport Touring a few days ago, and like others have said, best mod to get really. It’s very noticeable how much faster it is with the base +6 map. I have no other mods either btw

Last edited:
OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hondata has been around a long time and thoroughly tests their tunes before releasing them. The base tunes that come with the Flashpro are safe.

I researched and researched before finally buying a Flashpro. I was concerned about reliability and stress on the CVT and engine. After a few months running the +6 tune I absolutely love it. I feel fairly confident that the tune will not effect reliability. Of course you can't go launching your car from stoplight to stoplight but if you drive it like a "normal person" you should be fine. And it makes the car incredibly fun to drive in the 3000-5500rpm range. Passing power is fantastic and if you take it easy MPG's are close to stock.

I went with the CARB version because it's a great set and forget setup. I can still adjust boost targets and torque limits if I want to. At $495 it's the best bang for the buck if you plan on keeping the engine stock IMO. The Race version offers a lot more adjustments but honestly you'd need a pro tuner to set all those parameters up properly. If you just need a base tune, I'm not sure you need to spend the extra $200. Of course, if you plan on doing flex fuel or adding performance mods, a race Flashpro is a must.

The +6 tune was dyno'ed with the CVT and it added 25hp and 35 lb/ft of torque on 91 octane. I run 93 octane and get even a bit more power. And trust me, you feel a real surge of extra power above 3,000 rpm. It's awesome really.

Last edited:

Cdupree87

Chris Dupree
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Hondata has been around a long time and thoroughly tests their tunes before releasing them. The base tunes that come with the Flashpro are safe.

I researched and researched before finally buying a Flashpro. I was concerned about reliability and stress on the CVT and engine. After a few months running the +6 tune I absolutely love it. I feel fairly confident that the tune will not effect reliability. Of course you can't go launching your car from stoplight to stoplight but if you drive it like a "normal person" you should be fine. And it makes the car incredibly fun to drive in the 3000-5500rpm range. Passing power is fantastic and if you take it easy MPG's are close to stock.

I went with the CARB version because it's a great set and forget setup. I can still adjust boost targets and torque limits if I want to too. At $495 it's the best bang for the buck if you plan on keeping the engine stock IMO. The Race version offers a lot more adjustments but honestly you'd need a pro tuner to set all those parameters up properly. If you just need a base tune, I'm not sure you need to spend the extra $200. Of course, if you plan on doing flex fuel or adding performance mods, a race Flashpro is a must.

The +6 tune was dyno'ed with the CVT and it added 25hp and 35 lb/ft of torque on 91 octane. I run 93 octane and get even a bit more power. And trust me, you feel a real surge of extra power above 3,000 rpm. It's awesome really.
I really appreciate the feedback from everyone so far. gtman, that sounds perfect for me. Thanks for breaking it down. I only run high octane as well. I'm most likely gonna go for it, soon.

vidguru

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si, 1976 Corvette Stingray, 1969 Firebird
The reason I'm getting better highway mileage is due to the CVT only doing 2000 rpm at 70+ mph. The stick is doing much higher rpms.

The CVT doesn't have the fun factor of the stick but tuned its a nice combo of power and economy.
I haven't pulled the trigger on a tune yet, I have an SI My gas mileage has been crazy. 38 miles to work, all expressway. Here is my to and from work .I was going 75-80mph the whole way .The MT can get awesome mileage as well!

11th Gen Honda Civic Hondata...Flashpro... +6 PSI ... my ongoing review 20180605_114015

JNRS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
I haven't pulled the trigger on a tune yet, I have an SI My gas mileage has been crazy. 38 miles to work, all expressway. Here is my to and from work .I was going 75-80mph the whole way .The MT can get awesome mileage as well!

20180605_114015.jpg
What RPM are you cruising at if your going 75-80 MPH? I'm guessing it would be around 3K? I'm surprised how you can get that kind of MPG cruising at that RPM. The highest I ever got was around 43 MPG and that was with me barely pressing the gas pedal.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well that didn't last long. I went back to Hondata's base +6 tune. Although my homemade tune was putting out more boost and torque, it just wasn't as smooth as the base +6. I also was a little nervous about the added stress on the CVT and engine.

Fact is, Hondata did a very good job on the base +6 tune for the CVT. Now if they would add an improved throttle response option it might be even better... #HintToHondata ;)

hawk02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe
Well that didn't last long. I went back to Hondata's base +6 tune. Although my homemade tune was putting out more boost and torque, it just wasn't as smooth as the base +6. I also was a little nervous about the added stress on the CVT and engine.

Fact is, Hondata did a very good job on the base +6 tune for the CVT. Now if they would add an improved throttle response option it might be even better... #HintToHondata ;)
Love following this thread, great info from you. I'm running the +6 on my Si and love it too.
Sponsored