• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Icehawk's "OEM+" speaker upgrade

OP
OP
Icehawk

Icehawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 CTR #3177
Absolutely worth it to me. If the car sounded like this stock, I wouldn't have considered upgrading anything.

The only thing I would do differently on my car is a cheaper sub driver. Maybe I'll amp mine down the road if I'm looking for something to do/blow money on and that might improve its value by exploiting more of its performance.

You could get close to what I did for a lot less - I went with CDT's higher end drivers and replaced everything. For best value only replace the F&R doors and tweeters and skip everything else. If you can handle mounting the tweeters, IMO, you can build a nice setup for <$500 otherwise plan to spend a little bit on having a pro assist.
Sponsored

Dustbunni

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R , 2023 Tesla Model Y
Are there smaller tweeters that fit more in the oem spot? Or what if you ran a traditional speaker in the front and rear doors with an attached tweeter? If that makes sense

VT Skier

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 SGP
Can you PM your installer's contact info? I'd like to upgrade my stereo and am not a DIY guy. I'm in SWFL, so not a bad drive over. I'm interested in his idea to use a better processor/amp instead of (or in addition to?) upgrading the speakers.

OP
OP
Icehawk

Icehawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 CTR #3177
Are there smaller tweeters that fit more in the oem spot? Or what if you ran a traditional speaker in the front and rear doors with an attached tweeter? If that makes sense
I think the DRT-25s I bought for the rear would have fit fine, the ES-1200 has a chunky integrated housing that was the issue.

You don't want to use a coaxial speaker, the tweeters will not be in a good spot down by your knees.

Can you PM your installer's contact info? I'd like to upgrade my stereo and am not a DIY guy. I'm in SWFL, so not a bad drive over. I'm interested in his idea to use a better processor/amp instead of (or in addition to?) upgrading the speakers.
Absolutely, I'll send you the info. He did seem to think amping w/processor would net good results with the stock speakers - his opinion is that it would sound better than the route I took. I do know from past experience that amping drivers makes a huge difference - but I've never tried that on stock speakers.

VT Skier

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 SGP
Thank you. It will be a few months before I get to this, but I'll update everyone at some point.

OP
OP
Icehawk

Icehawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 CTR #3177
Remounted the sub driver and added more sound deadening to the outside of the enclosure as well as a few sheets of sound deadener in that area of the trunk. I'd love to hear what amping the box would do before blowing more money...

RUNN1N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
I know nothing about car audio, and this isn't FL5-related, but my Del Sol came with a (early 2000's) Pioneer Premier 2-way amp in the trunk and the speakers sound good (definitely upgraded).

I'd like to add a self-contained subwoofer to round out the package... any recommendations?

OP
OP
Icehawk

Icehawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 CTR #3177
Look at the JL boxes, high quality stuff made near me.