• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Intermittent clicking/ticking sound from the the are of driver side window (top left corner) or the panels next to it

OP
OP
K20C1CTR

K20C1CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Honda Civic Type R
I had the dealer put on the new b pillar trim and it solved my tick issue. I attempted to do it myself, but was scared of damaging some of the other window trim parts. I'm way to embarrassed to say how much I paid the dealer to do it, but the book time was 1.5 hours or something like that. I am usually anti-dealer, but this dealer has been really good to me and my FL5. When I brought it in for the check engine light first few weeks of ownership they looked at the car immediately with no appointment and parked my car with cones surrounding it so no one would touch it. They totally respected the car and it seems most of the folks that worked there were actual car enthusiasts.

anyways back to the trim. The part is cheap to replace, and if you're handy with stuff like this, it may be worthwhile to replace it. I couldn't always reproduce it just by pressing the b pillar trim, but it definitely came from that piece.
When you let the dealership install the replacement trim piece, did you give them any special instructions on how you want the trim piece to sit/be installed? I would assume the issue was that old one had bad adhesive or was not installed properly?
Sponsored

Stan23

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 FL5, 2002 AP1 S2000
When you let the dealership install the replacement trim piece, did you give them any special instructions on how you want the trim piece to sit/be installed? I would assume the issue was that old one had bad adhesive or was not installed properly?
I did not. I only ordered a new trim because I broke (chipped) mine trying to figure out the ticking sound. My guess is the new trim with new adhesive did the trick. Interestingly enough, there quite a few of us with this issue.

CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R, LS Swapped FC3S
I think it will be a TSB at some point. I can live with it for now and I think Honda will figure out the fix before the warranty expires. If not I'll be sure to note it with them before it does so that they will be on the hook to fix it in good faith.

It seems like both of my front windows do the ticking noise but the driver side one is worse. Maybe there was a manufacturing/tolerance issue with the parts that causes them to make the noise.

Glad to hear you fixed it though! Thanks for reporting back.

RP2000R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 CTR, 21 Porsche Cayman GT4, 15 Lexus IS350 RWD
I can’t stand the rattle when the windows are down.. crazy a new car rattles like that. I have owned many civics never a issue and my daily beater a 2004 Civic makes zero sounds when the window is down any amount.

CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R, LS Swapped FC3S
I can’t stand the rattle when the windows are down.. crazy a new car rattles like that. I have owned many civics never a issue and my daily beater a 2004 Civic makes zero sounds when the window is down any amount.
You may be thinking that the wastegate rattle is the same as a window rattle. It is not. It's just part of most modern turbocharged cars with an electronic wastegate.

RP2000R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 CTR, 21 Porsche Cayman GT4, 15 Lexus IS350 RWD
No it’s not the wastgate. The window moves in the track when hitting even the slightest imperfections on the road and makes a click/creak. Does it every time you have the window down a few inches.

ganzi2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Type R
I'm experiencing the same issue. It only happens on a sunny day and it happens even when the car is not running. I also think that the problem is with the black trim piece or around it. Something there is expanding with heat and making the ticking sound. It hasn't bothered me enough to take any action yet. There are so many rattles in this car its hard to keep track of them all.

OP, did you end up replacing the trim piece?

OP
OP
K20C1CTR

K20C1CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Honda Civic Type R
I'm experiencing the same issue. It only happens on a sunny day and it happens even when the car is not running. I also think that the problem is with the black trim piece or around it. Something there is expanding with heat and making the ticking sound. It hasn't bothered me enough to take any action yet. There are so many rattles in this car its hard to keep track of them all.

OP, did you end up replacing the trim piece?
I am still debating on whether I should spend my own money to replace the black trim piece. I would most likely end up doing so just because the noise is really bothering me. @Stan23 replaced his and he ended up not getting the noise anymore. However, I also wanted to hear the noise by standing outside of the car from that black trim piece. I've tried it once but didn't hear it since the noise was intermittent.

Stan23

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 FL5, 2002 AP1 S2000
I wanted to add that it has been unusually hot the last 2 days and I heard the random tick here and there from the trim when driving with windows up and no radio. It's certainly way better than before where it would be a pretty consistent ticking noise during driving and even after parking the car, and always shows up when the weather got warm.

To me, this is more than acceptable and I'm no longer going to do anything else.

ganzi2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Type R
I wanted to add that it has been unusually hot the last 2 days and I heard the random tick here and there from the trim when driving with windows up and no radio. It's certainly way better than before where it would be a pretty consistent ticking noise during driving and even after parking the car, and always shows up when the weather got warm.

To me, this is more than acceptable and I'm no longer going to do anything else.
I would say mine is also intermittent and not constant so I'm hesitant to do anything about it. Of course my passenger side trim doesn't do this at all. I can replicate the ticking sound by pressing down on the black trim at the bottom.

Stan23

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 FL5, 2002 AP1 S2000
I would say mine is also intermittent and not constant so I'm hesitant to do anything about it. Of course my passenger side trim doesn't do this at all. I can replicate the ticking sound by pressing down on the black trim at the bottom.
Yes, strange that the passenger side never did it as well. I will say replacing the trim solved my issue 98%

Cdmar

First Name
Cayden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24’ CTR, 09’ Audi A4 Avant, 00’ Subaru 2.5RS
Sitting in my car during my lunch and this exact issue has been driving me crazy these last few days as we’re getting out of the winter temps. Gonna take some time to pinpoint mine this weekend and see if the trim is my issue aswell, glad but also sad to see others with the same issue.

OP
OP
K20C1CTR

K20C1CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Honda Civic Type R
Sitting in my car during my lunch and this exact issue has been driving me crazy these last few days as we’re getting out of the winter temps. Gonna take some time to pinpoint mine this weekend and see if the trim is my issue aswell, glad but also sad to see others with the same issue.
Let me know what you find out if you are ever going to investigate. Much appreciated.

Stan23

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 FL5, 2002 AP1 S2000
It's the exterior glossy trim. Replace that, and your issue will pretty much go away.
Sponsored