• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Is it possible to revert to stock after jailbreaking ECU

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
Hey guys, just brought home my FL5 CTR earlier this month and like any good car owner would do, I have begun to make plans for the car to ensure that it has good future.

One of the things I'd like to look into is tuning the car. From what I've researched so far, it looks as if some tuning, along with the basic bolt-ons, can really wake these cars up. I've also seen that the factory ECU needs to be sent in to be jailbroken before the FlashPro can upload any sort of reflash.

I have some questions, feel free to answer any of them, or all if you'd like to..

1. Will jailbreaking the ECU leave tamper evidence? In other words, if I had my ECU jailbroken and tuned, then reflashed stock maps and took to dealer, can they tell that it's been jailbroken, resulting in a loss of any powertrain warranty coverage?
2. I wanted to look into perhaps getting a 2nd ECU for the purpose of jailbreaking and tuning and if car ever needed to go in for warranty, I could swap the original ECU back in. However, haven't really been able to find any information as to whether or not this is even possible. I've tried a search for a replacement OEM ECU a handful of times, and I did find the Honda "Controls Package" for the K20C1 crate engine kit but that comes with wiring harness and other stuff I don't need. It also isn't clear if this is designed for use with the rest of the FL5 Type R factory systems. Does anyone happen to have the part # for the factory Honda ECU?
3. How is both short and long term reliability affected by a moderate tune?
4. Are there any other options for tuning vehicle without leaving tamper evidence?
Sponsored

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R, 2006 s2000, 2022 Ram TRX, 2005 srt-4
Build Thread
Link
Hey guys, just brought home my FL5 CTR earlier this month and like any good car owner would do, I have begun to make plans for the car to ensure that it has good future.

One of the things I'd like to look into is tuning the car. From what I've researched so far, it looks as if some tuning, along with the basic bolt-ons, can really wake these cars up. I've also seen that the factory ECU needs to be sent in to be jailbroken before the FlashPro can upload any sort of reflash.

I have some questions, feel free to answer any of them, or all if you'd like to..

1. Will jailbreaking the ECU leave tamper evidence? In other words, if I had my ECU jailbroken and tuned, then reflashed stock maps and took to dealer, can they tell that it's been jailbroken, resulting in a loss of any powertrain warranty coverage?
2. I wanted to look into perhaps getting a 2nd ECU for the purpose of jailbreaking and tuning and if car ever needed to go in for warranty, I could swap the original ECU back in. However, haven't really been able to find any information as to whether or not this is even possible. I've tried a search for a replacement OEM ECU a handful of times, and I did find the Honda "Controls Package" for the K20C1 crate engine kit but that comes with wiring harness and other stuff I don't need. It also isn't clear if this is designed for use with the rest of the FL5 Type R factory systems. Does anyone happen to have the part # for the factory Honda ECU?
4. Are there any other options for tuning vehicle without leaving tamper evidence?
If you have a concern with powertrain warranty don’t mod it. Most modern ecu’s keep a flash counter.

CaryH

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 touring 2.0T, 2005 Toyota 4runner SR5, 2012 c
if you tune you will lose your warranty if you have to bring it in for service they will know. don't listen to what anyone else has to say.

OP
OP
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
Thank you guys, that's what I needed to know. Looks like I want be tuning anytime soon in that case.

arbies

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 BB Type-R

CaryH

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 touring 2.0T, 2005 Toyota 4runner SR5, 2012 c
Nope, wrong again pal....that's all I have to say about that...go ahead tune your fl5 and if you pop a cel light take it to the dealership and let's find out......I don't take any regards pertaining to any threads pertaining to this.

FL5CW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R

This is exactly what you need..

https://www.imwtuned.com/store/p32/boschclone.html

rev000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CRV
Nope, wrong again pal....that's all I have to say about that...go ahead tune your fl5 and if you pop a cel light take it to the dealership and let's find out......I don't take any regards pertaining to any threads pertaining to this.
i did and find out youre wrong lol thats all im saying

FL5CW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
Would be good to get a confirmation from someone w. experience tuning these firsthand.
I’ve worked for Honda and when we installed used gauge clusters, we would have to reprogram all the information from the old cluster to the new one being installed. Every Honda has been this way, but I have not swapped a cluster on an 11th gen yet.

Would be great to know for sure.