• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Michelin Sport Cup 2 Tires

Rainy4s

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 VA WRX STI,
What does this DT1 mean in effect?

I hit a bad pothole last week and front left tyre sadly split along sidewall (rim is fine). Changed to a full size spare provided by a friend. (PLEASE get a space saver for your car, guys. I was stranded in the middle of nowhere for 6hrs). Anyway, on my way back I get a nail on the rear left tyre lol (what are the odds!!) and had to drive on that flat it few km on highway so that tyre is not safe to be reused IMO as i see the ring of death. Hoping rim is also ok, it looks ok and spun ok on a wheel balancer at a shop i went to.

I've ordered 2 new PS4S in the same oem wheel size and should arrive next week. I know they won't be the same DT1 OEM spec.

Could you shed light on the differences between the OEM DT1 spec vs off the shelf PS4S?
I've heard DT1 (different tread) has less tread width, or have better rim protection, or worse compound for grip to save cost, or better carcass to help tyre steer and accelerate simultaneously but these are all whispers and nothing confirmed officially or by tests.

Thanks!
just like the name suggest, different thread, part of Michelin naming system, and aftermarket PS4s with old sidewall dont have that mark IIRC
Not confirming any things, but according to initial press release by Honda JP, the OEM PS4s is bespoke and developed to maximize grip for FWD , so it's supposed to differ from other DT1 or DT tires provided by other manufacturers like BMW(either *star marked or not).

From what I have heard, many owners who tracked FL5 suggest DT1 PS4s has a stiff sidewall and superior traction on track, the outer side coupound is more like Cup2( cant comfirm) but they indeed delivery better lap time. In term of thread life and other info, didn't pay too much attention to that.
Sponsored

s2kdriver80

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY21 FK8 Honda Civic Type R, MY03 AP1 Honda S2000
Build Thread
Link
I had the standard PS4S on my FK8 and I was happy at how supple and quiet the ride was. However the turn-in response was slower and more rubbery than the Continental SportContact 6.

The FL5 OEM PS4S in comparison rides rougher than the ones on my FK8 but they're also sharper turning. You would think with a higher sidewall the FL5 tires should be slightly softer but they aren't. I think the difference is due to the DT1 but of course the car itself has some influence.
I'm currently running my FK8 on the stock CSC6 tires on the 20-inch wheels. It's about to hit EOL and was considering switching to the MPS4S next month, but idk now. If I end up not liking them, I'll be stuck with them for awhile lol. The Michelins last 2-3 times longer, but I'm able to squeeze 20k+ miles out of the Continentals, so the Continentals last long enough for me. The extended life is appealing, but not at the expense of diminished directness.

momo3605

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rivian R1T, Lucid Air, 718 Spyder
just like the name suggest, different thread, part of Michelin naming system, and aftermarket PS4s with old sidewall dont have that mark IIRC
Not confirming any things, but according to initial press release by Honda JP, the OEM PS4s is bespoke and developed to maximize grip for FWD , so it's supposed to differ from other DT1 or DT tires provided by other manufacturers like BMW(either *star marked or not).

From what I have heard, many owners who tracked FL5 suggest DT1 PS4s has a stiff sidewall and superior traction on track, the outer side coupound is more like Cup2( cant comfirm) but they indeed delivery better lap time. In term of thread life and other info, didn't pay too much attention to that.
so I found this interesting. My Porsche N0 spec PS4S vs the Type R PS4S. The tread looks really different. The grooves are much thinner on the civic and look much closer to a cup 2. Additionally the CTR PS4S rides MUCH louder and stiffer than the Porsche spec, which are soft and luxurious by comparison! I think the civic spec PS4S is a significant change. And nothing like the normal PS4S at all.

11th Gen Honda Civic Michelin Sport Cup 2 Tires IMG_6871

11th Gen Honda Civic Michelin Sport Cup 2 Tires IMG_6872
Sponsored