• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Steve182022

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic LX coupe, 6 spd; '20 Civic Sport sdn, 6
Sponsored

djlythium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si Coupe
Oh! ??? I was so confused!

Related to the video, those hatches are actually growing on me. I think they'd look great stanced on dope rims. ?

First Name
Luigi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
9th Gen Si, 11th Gen SI
Here's an idea. Let's review a car, by just reading tweets and social media tripe about it. Then let's read the itemized list of features from the website. Then compare it to a car on paper, it wasn't built to compete against. But let's not have an informed opinion about how it actually drives.

This was such an utter waste of time for a "driving review". I can't even. ...

Ethan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Accord Sport 2.0T manual
Here's an idea. Let's review a car, by just reading tweets and social media tripe about it. Then let's read the itemized list of features from the website. Then compare it to a car on paper, it wasn't built to compete against. But let's not have an informed opinion about how it actually drives.

This was such an utter waste of time for a "driving review". I can't even. ...
It wasn’t built to compete against the GTI but it’s priced like one. The comparison is valid and reliability aside the Civic loses at the same price point.

Baldilocks

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
The better designed and less gimmicky interior of the Civic makes it a better car for me. I've owned a lot of GTIs and Golf Rs and electrical gremlins and water pump problems are always popping up.

By the time the Mk8 GTIs arrive and their markups begin, they won't even be in the same price range.

Jimi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR 2019
The one thing I totally disagree is their comparison with the GTI vs ST.

Price to price trim to trim..the GTI doesn’t get the top Audio system, the ST does. The GTI isn’t the top of the line trim, the ST is.

Features wise, the ST is better value then the GTI even without a DCT.
Their comparison isn’t a good one.
I second Baldilocks comment, I also had a few golfs and they aren’t the most comfortable car. They have all sorts of minor problems and to be honest the civic’s interior BLOWS the golf away. IMO

Last edited:
First Name
Luigi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
9th Gen Si, 11th Gen SI
It wasn’t built to compete against the GTI but it’s priced like one. The comparison is valid and reliability aside the Civic loses at the same price point.
Reliability aside? LOL ?? what's a car if you can't drive it half the time. ...

Everything equal: Honda > VW

Erry'Day. ?

Ethan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Reliability aside? LOL ?? what's a car if you can't drive it half the time. ...

Everything equal: Honda > VW

Erry'Day. ?
I prefer Honda over VW as well but the GTI literally has 60 more hp and almost 100 more lb/tq. From a performance stand point it’s outclassed, and this is undeniable.

Baldilocks

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I prefer Honda over VW as well but the GTI literally has 60 more hp and almost 100 more lb/tq. From a performance stand point it’s outclassed, and this is undeniable.
But it’s not really the same class of car - even if the price were similar. The standard Golf would be a fairer comparison if it were still sold here.

Ethan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
But it’s not really the same class of car - even if the price were similar. The standard Golf would be a fairer comparison if it were still sold here.
The price is similar hence why it’s a comparison. They are both hatchbacks with manual transmissions. The Standard Golf would come in even cheaper than the Civic.

Baldilocks

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The price is similar hence why it’s a comparison. They are both hatchbacks with manual transmissions. The Standard Golf would come in even cheaper than the Civic.
Maybe, maybe not. I mean the Golf R is now 45K, so it's hard to tell. The GTI is a performance variant of the Golf. The Civic sedan and hatch are not performance cars in their base form. Price and class aren't the same thing in that regard.

Ethan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maybe, maybe not. I mean the Golf R is now 45K, so it's hard to tell. The GTI is a performance variant of the Golf. The Civic sedan and hatch are not performance cars in their base form. Price and class aren't the same thing in that regard.
In Canada the Civic Sport Touring 6MT is $35,000. The GTI Autobahn is $35,000. Same price, same equipment, the GTI destroys the Civic from a performance stand point.

I understand the Civic Sport Touring isn’t built to be a performance car. That said it’s priced like competitors that offer more performance, and for people considering a manual hatchback that is 100% going to be a consideration.

In the U.S this is a different conversation. Sport Touring 6MT tops out around $30,800 USD, the GTI Autobahn is almost $8,000 more. Either the Civic is overpriced in Canada or the GTI is a screaming deal.
Sponsored