• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Phearable vs TSP

mbaapk

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pacifica
I live the idea of having an extra 40 hp below 3k that is on their maps.
Sponsored

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R, 2006 s2000, 2022 Ram TRX, 2005 srt-4
Build Thread
Link
I live the idea of having an extra 40 hp below 3k that is on their maps.
Have to be careful with that. Just because you can make more power down below 3k rpms does not mean you should use it. Low rpms with high loads are a recipe for knock and premature ignition of the combustion.

mbaapk

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pacifica
Have to be careful with that. Just because you can make more power down below 3k rpms does not mean you should use it. Low rpms with high loads are a recipe for knock and premature ignition of the combustion.
Be careful how? I just like a little extra geddyup while tooling around. I figure if the gas is clean then should be fine no?

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Be careful how? I just like a little extra geddyup while tooling around. I figure if the gas is clean then should be fine no?
I understand that people like the extra power down low for when driving around and most of the time its not an issue. But still it does put more strain on the engine. Look up LSPI and that should give you a bit more info. Honestly this is practice by manufacturers to make the car feel more peppy down low and to make the car more fun by using small turbos for responsiveness.

Now from a performance and tuning standpoint you want to reduce low rpm high load scenarios as much as possible to minimize risk of Low Speed Pre ignition. That knock can kill engines. Most people that sell tunes won’t tell you that, they want that money. If you are looking for more power and responsiveness down low buy a N/A v8 car. I always suggest to my customers that even though the car is making more power down low to not use it if possible. I always try to counsel to be above 3k rpms if you are asking for power. And if you need to pass somebody don’t just mash the throttle on 6th gear while cruising and let the turbo pull you out. Drop a gear or two and then pass them to decrease engine strain.

Bigger turbos help with this due to increased lag, they kind of force you to down shift to get to the power band and decrease those low rpm and high load events.

mbaapk

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pacifica
I understand that people like the extra power down low for when driving around and most of the time its not an issue. But still it does put more strain on the engine. Look up LSPI and that should give you a bit more info. Honestly this is practice by manufacturers to make the car feel more peppy down low and to make the car more fun by using small turbos for responsiveness.

Now from a performance and tuning standpoint you want to reduce low rpm high load scenarios as much as possible to minimize risk of Low Speed Pre ignition. That knock can kill engines. Most people that sell tunes won’t tell you that, they want that money. If you are looking for more power and responsiveness down low buy a N/A v8 car. I always suggest to my customers that even though the car is making more power down low to not use it if possible. I always try to counsel to be above 3k rpms if you are asking for power. And if you need to pass somebody don’t just mash the throttle on 6th gear while cruising and let the turbo pull you out. Drop a gear or two and then pass them to decrease engine strain.

Bigger turbos help with this due to increased lag, they kind of force you to down shift to get to the power band and decrease those low rpm and high load events.
So you are saying Phaerable tune is set up to grenade?

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
So you are saying Phaerable tune is set up to grenade?
No in no way am I implying that. I’m just saying that using that power down low increases the risk if something going wrong. Its up to the owner of the car to know how to operate it. Its not that the tune is unsafe, just the way that engines work.

Partial throttle driving can be improved in a tune and you will feel it as more peppy around town and its safe. But once you start getting into boost that is when I mean you have to be careful.

This will be an issue with any tune from any person. Best practice is to drive it properly, keep it in the higher rpms when you actually want to accelerate quicker.

Last edited:

mbaapk

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pacifica
No in no way am I implying that. I’m just saying that using that power down low increases the risk if something going wrong. Its up to the owner of the car to know how to operate it. Its not that the tune is unsafe, just the way that engines work.

Partial throttle driving can be improved in a tune and you will feel it as more peppy around town and its safe. But once you start getting into boost that is when I mean you have to be careful.

This will be an issue with any tune from any person. Best practice is to drive it properly, keep it in the higher rpms when you actually want to accelerate quicker.
Makes sense so no dig racing - which i dont do lol. Highway pulls are fine w the downshift.

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Makes sense so no dig racing - which i dont do lol. Highway pulls are fine w the downshift.
No you can dig race no problem. There is no real load on the car when its standing still and when you launch wheelspin keeps the load low too. So no issues there. Its more in mashing the throttle at 2k rpms on a higher gear like 4-6. On first and second the load won’t be as high.

most of these issues are putting around especially on high way driving people get lazy and just mash the throttle to pass cars and let the boost spike on low rpms and that is what causes issues.
Sponsored