• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Riko

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.0L Turbo, CVT, Elegance trim
Appologies.

I completely get what you're saying, and I follow you on the oil industry and lobby thing thats holding everything back.

By dont forget the mere 'production' of hydrogen is also not an green process, at the moment.
Even if, and I agree, it is the most abundant element in the world.
I agree, those are Facts indeed.

So its not that you can merely pick it out of the sky and use it...

It can be green, and that would be a game changer, but just like with EV and where comes the green electricity question, its not green at the moment.
It has the same issue as battery production.
The process of getting to hydrogen is more or less as time consuming and energy demanding as with petrol at a gas station.

You gotta make it, wich at the moment isnt efficient at all.
And you still gotta ship, transport it.
And the oil lobby is eve behind this, and they are asking prices at the same level as petrol, if not more expensive! 🙄
But okay, mass adoption should rectify that indeed.
And that remains to be seen, how much share will hydrogen take in the whole big picture..

True, you can adopt the current infrastructure to hydrogen.

EV and the whole green electricity debate is also a very cynical one at its core.
Because there was this study from a Liège professor that concluded that electricity is also abundant, we have all these networks worldwide, the big picture, and they can be inter-connected and tweaked to supply the entire planets demand.. but yet there is this argument, we dont have enough for an EV future.

But I know, that sounds Utopian in a world driven by money = greed = national economics and interests.
And indeed, the biggest of all sinners, lobby groups.

Sure, there are companies out there offering green hydrogen in big stock, there are projects for example in the harbor of Antwerp that are looking into that, to become mass suppliers of hydrogen, green hydrogen....but we aint there yet.

As I said, am not anti hydrogen, it will be a mix I believe, and a mix will be the best option to spread all options, instead of betting on one to deal with all of the entire transporting sector worldwide.

Hell, even bio fuel has become a thing lately.
Sponsored

Ulti-Resis

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type-R GT
If they made hydrogen cars available and advertised them and pushed them as much as they are with EV, then I believe they would sell like hot cakes. Much of the production could use electricity, heat and steam from nuclear and other electricity generation and could tap into those sites. Build cars, vans, trucks, trains, boats and planes that run on hydrogen and you're almost onto a winner. Yes there is more to do to make it green on the production and transport side but I believe we could get there fast, if the will was there.

There is also the water and gas infrastructure that could potentially be used to pipe hydrogen around and save on the transportation end, it may require a new pipeline network to run alongside other infrastructure or modifying current systems but I think it could be done. Pipe it to local areas and then transport it shorter distances if necessary using clean transport. Do away with gas and convert to hydrogen in homes etc and perhaps the existing gas pipeline could be used for hydrogen instead. I realise all this comes at some initial cost.

The damage lithium extraction is doing to landscapes, the amount of water it requires and how that is affecting local communities, it has to stop. These companies are stealing the water for lithium extraction and local communities are dry, nothing comes out of their taps anymore. The companies say they bought it all up and it's our water so tough shit. Same old story, big business, corporate greed and profit, profit, profit above all else. Fuck the people and the planet!

Riko

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.0L Turbo, CVT, Elegance trim
Thank you. It appears we are both almost in complete agreement!
actually we were, I just thought you didnt know what you were talking about, because that one line came off uninformed and superficial lol

but you are well informed indeed 👌 something that cannot be said about many consumers 🤔

Yes there is more to do to make it green on the production and transport side but I believe we could get there fast, if the will was there.
ow yeah, thats an understatement to say at the least :)

that will is driven by political will too, and what drives political will, is the voting public

problem is, ppl are not informed, back than, not as much as now, so that explains why tech back than wasnt were it is now, now there is a rush to make everything EV indeed, its going at a fast pace, I feel to fast, so fast that there are ppl that wont accept they are being told what to buy...

That same lack of political will of course also come from a strong lobby that holds everything back and demonizes everything else.
EV could have been an thing much more earliers and much more at ease to evolve than its going now.

Look at what, especially in Europe and Japan, emissions regulation has done to the Internal Combustion Engine.
We now have 4 cylinder (with a turbo or supercharger) that are much more performant than V6 and V8 and even older V10 and V12's 🤪
And to top that, they dont only perform better, but they are much more fuel efficient.
AMG Mercs with huge V12's are done.
Their V8's have been replaced by V6 turbo's, and perform better (dont necessary sound better).
The top of the line AMG C class now only is available with in 4 cilinders, no 6 cilinders anymore...

Add electric assistance to the mix and you got one crazy package.
In short, ICE have never been better than today, but we are at the peak of what an ICE can deliver in terms of efficiency, in de 40's %
LOL Formula One is proud to show off they got an efficiency of 45% I think is what they show during post race interviews on the billboards....

And this all happend in one decade time, just because their is this hurry to change to switch to EV.
Its all going too fast, but is shows we could have done it all much earlier...but lobbies and politicians didnt give a damn about green house and all of that.
So now we have these silly situation, mainly in Europe, where taxes are crazy high for certain cars and we have to pay special taxes to enter city centers with certain cars etc...
And they are pushing towards one direction and the manufacturers have to follow.

This panic reaction of governments here in Europe, that pisses ppl off.
What I am nog happy about is that we in Europe only make a small part of the worldwide problem of greenhouse emissions.
You have the US, you have India and you have China, when they dont join, it wont make any difference what we do in Europe...
+ They tax one part of the problem, consumer private transport = you and me in our cars/SUV/jeeps, etc...

What about Planes? Cruises? Industry? and global ship transportation? deforestation in Brazil, the Congo, Indonesia, etc...
Its known how much co2 a big container ship emmits and how that compares to a normal car...its jawdropping.
But than other elements come into play: Economics....and meanwhile we are led to believe if we dont drive EV, we will have been the sole cause of green house emissions.

Last edited:

citrus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CZ4A, Abarth 500, ZZW30, ND2 RF
You have the US, you have India and you have China, when they dont join, it wont make any difference what we do in Europe...
Actually, the US military alone emits more greenhouse gasses than some European countries completely. If the US would demilitarize a bit, well, that's a hairy subject for a lot of people, but I think it's a pretty obvious solution.

At the end of the day, all the bullshit around EVs and ICE-bans aren't about the environment. They're easy topics for politicians to blow up for good press one side and ammo on the other. All the while, manufacturers (of cars, batteries, electronic components, etc.) all love to lobby for it, because it means the consumer--you and I--will have to throw away our old thing to buy a new thing.

If it helps you sleep better at night, you can believe that EVs will save the environment, but they won't. At the same time, automakers are taking our money whether we like it or not. Even if you don't buy an EV, you certainly pay taxes, and those same taxes are paying for someone to roll coals on a military base and another's discount on a Tesla.

It's all very depressing imo. No matter who wins, the consumer loses.

TypeSiR

First Name
Car Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, CTR, MX-5, Fit
Actually, the US military alone emits more greenhouse gasses than some European countries completely. If the US would demilitarize a bit, well, that's a hairy subject for a lot of people, but I think it's a pretty obvious solution.

At the end of the day, all the bullshit around EVs and ICE-bans aren't about the environment. They're easy topics for politicians to blow up for good press one side and ammo on the other. All the while, manufacturers (of cars, batteries, electronic components, etc.) all love to lobby for it, because it means the consumer--you and I--will have to throw away our old thing to buy a new thing.

If it helps you sleep better at night, you can believe that EVs will save the environment, but they won't. At the same time, automakers are taking our money whether we like it or not. Even if you don't buy an EV, you certainly pay taxes, and those same taxes are paying for someone to roll coals on a military base and another's discount on a Tesla.

It's all very depressing imo. No matter who wins, the consumer loses.
Downsizing the military is a no-no as the world needs our protection. Do you know who chases after those pirates in the sea?

11th Gen Honda Civic PHEV Hybrid FL5 Civic Type R is possible 30C26CD5-C3DD-4FA3-A524-F952C0799215
Sponsored