• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

[PSA] Watch out for the new wipers, as paint quality still very cheap

irok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18EX, '22EX
11th Gen Honda Civic [PSA] Watch out for the new wipers, as paint quality still very cheap Fotor_162913328688720

This might be a design flaw.

I had the 10th gen, paint quality wasn't good either, but this chipping never happened & early

The new wipers are more complicated & way heavier, watch out when you put them up, especially if you turn off or turn on the engine, they will move a lot more than the old one.

Had 1 small rock paint chip in the bumper too, but this one is annoying since you see it all the time.
Sponsored

andyg

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hey irok! I assume both of these areas are at the top of the hood, closest to the windshield?

OP
OP

irok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18EX, '22EX
Hey irok! I assume both of these areas are at the top of the hood, closest to the windshield?
Yeah, i also have paint chips in the bumper already, it's very thin & soft

i saw a YouTube video that the 11th gen paint is like almost 2x thinner than the 10th gen, which was already thin in the first place

andyg

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oh yeah I've made some comments on the other forum about those videos. How did your chips happen? Can you share a video of how they rub against the edge?

OP
OP

irok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18EX, '22EX
Oh yeah I've made some comments on the other forum about those videos. How did your chips happen? Can you share a video of how they rub against the edge?
They just fall easy because it's heavy since the jets are on the wipers now & too close to the hood. Also when the engine starts, the wiper blades move

jtrader

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatch Sport 6MT, 2022 Odyssey EXL
Those chips are 1-2 inches from the wipers. How the hell do they move down that much? Mind posting a quick vid? I'm having a hard time visualizing...

If that's from the wipers, this is a serious problem! Those chips are unacceptable!!!! Yikes!

Last edited:
OP
OP

irok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18EX, '22EX
Those chips are 1-2 inches from the wipers. How the hell do they move down that much? Mind posting a quick vid? I'm having a hard time visualizing...

If that's from the wipers, this is a serious problem! Those chips are unacceptable!!!! Yikes!
It's when you put them up, sorry I'm scared to chip more paint lol i seen 2 other people with it including the guy in the video

mondreyt

First Name
Edmond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
That looks pretty bad. Did you contact your dealer?

andyg

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's when you put them up, sorry I'm scared to chip more paint lol i seen 2 other people with it including the guy in the video
I think I see what you mean--so when you lift the wiper blade, say to wash underneath it, correct? I guess it's important to always put the wipers in the service position when moving them manually.

OP
OP

irok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18EX, '22EX
I think I see what you mean--so when you lift the wiper blade, say to wash underneath it, correct? I guess it's important to always put the wipers in the service position when moving them manually.
When the engines turn on or off they move a lot

Topsportsman916

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rallye Red Sport Touring & 2019 Rallye Red CTR
I chipped the edge of my hood in the same place. I was cleaning the windshield and had the wipers up.I lifted the hood to check the oil and hit the wipers. Here's my sign ?

DallasCRX

First Name
Dallas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1980 Honda GL1100 GoldWing Interstate, 1986 Honda CRX Si, 2009 Honda CRF250X, 2009 Aprilia Shiver, 2010 Nissan Frontier, 2019 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Yeah, i also have paint chips in the bumper already, it's very thin & soft

i saw a YouTube video that the 11th gen paint is like almost 2x thinner than the 10th gen, which was already thin in the first place
Lots of misinformation in this video. Though I question any guy giving advice on paint if he can't figure out the paint code...

1) Paint code is B593M, not AG5. Aegean Blue metallic is the same as Brilliant Sporty Blue Metallic. Sales picks the name to sell it under.
2) You can't compare film builds from two cars built at different factories using different materials and different equipment. There is no difference in the paint thickness between a 10th gen and 11th gen built at the same factory with the same colour. That being said, all factories are held to the same durability requirements. Solventborne vs. waterborne vs wet on wet vs wet on dry vs etc. all play huge parts in the paint materials.
3) The fact that he's getting so much lower film readings on both hoods tells me his gauge likely is not calibrated to read properly on aluminum vs the rest of the car being steel. Honda does not skimp on the hood. There's an extra layer of material on all Honda hoods specifically for improving chipping durability.

Fact checking is important.

Jimi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR 2019
Fotor_162913328688720.jpg

This might be a design flaw.

I had the 10th gen, paint quality wasn't good either, but this chipping never happened & early

The new wipers are more complicated & way heavier, watch out when you put them up, especially if you turn off or turn on the engine, they will move a lot more than the old one.

Had 1 small rock paint chip in the bumper too, but this one is annoying since you see it all the time.
Dude, I did that once in my old BMW 328 and my S2000 when my wipers where up and I opened my hood.
This isn’t due to cheap paint… it’s due to Metal On Metal. That’s basic life man.