• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Putting A FK8 Turbo On FL5 - PRL P700 Turbo Comparison

OsosikMedia

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Si, 2017 Civic SI x2
Before installing the turbo of choice (@PRL Motorsports P700), we decided to install a old FK8 stock turbo we had laying around to debunk any thoughts/theories and find out which OEM turbo is better. I'll add all the details later but check out the video, it shows all the results.

#Ososik
Sponsored

Integra23

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Integra 6spd A-Spec
Great work! I was wondering if the FK8 turbo would have a better top end.

keller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 fc3, 2021 fk8
Great work! I was wondering if the FK8 turbo would have a better top end.
Without tuning changes, it shouldn't make any difference really. The air charge limits on the ECU are being hit with both turbos anyway.

There was a recent 4piston post here that was deleted for some reason (you can find it on their blog). It mentioned the top end difference. You need a tune to make use of that.

Clark_Kent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Civic Type R
Without tuning changes, it shouldn't make any difference really. The air charge limits on the ECU are being hit with both turbos anyway.

There was a recent 4piston post here that was deleted for some reason (you can find it on their blog). It mentioned the top end difference. You need a tune to make use of that.
Yes, the 4Piston thread disappeared very quickly. I presume it had something to do with their sponsor status, or lack thereof. I won't post it in this thread out of respect for Nick but it's a very good read and you can find the article on their website.

Back on topic...thanks again for providing this information Nick. A lot of us here are data driven so we appreciate the information. Keep up the good work.

OP
OP
OsosikMedia

OsosikMedia

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Si, 2017 Civic SI x2

Sorry maybe I wasn’t clear, the tune the Civic had during this test was the Powermetric Stage .91 tune. The comparisons were with no additional tuning changes to keep all variables as controlled as possible.
This allows you to see a true back2back comparison, we don’t just look at peak power, we analyze all the data provided by the Hondata FlashPro, Dyno and eventually other things we add but never share (but If there’s enough interest, I might for this project). Of course tuning and turning the power up, the P700 will make more HP over the OEM.

However, that’s a common mistake in my opinion that many people make and how misinformation starts to spread. For example in the import drag scene, I’ve seen lots of people have a set up and blame an engine management for limiting them. From there they change engine managements, turbo/fuel system/etc. and when they show better results, they say it’s because the engine management but fail to mention how the other things they changed helped.

We are aware of Air charge, especially Daniel (Powermetric) he’s got extensive knowledge with tuning 10th and 11th gen platform (along with many others and different engine management systems). I know the guys at 4Piston too, it was definitely a great write up. They do great work.

We did tune it with the FK8 turbo (after the comparison) and the outcome was the same. Maybe I will post it on the CivicXi forums but for the video I felt no need.

As of now the Type R has p700 with hondata fuel system, but as you can see, I was barely able to post this, weeks after it was done. Lol
Sponsored